Riding in rain - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Garage
The only time I have ridden in the rain for the most part it has been cold and heavy rain that does not stop. Think northern BC, the Gaspe or Newfoundland. It gets through to your bones.

As a result I am not a fan.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 01:58 AM
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER1 View Post
Wow is all I can say about Riding The K1600 in the rain,Compared to one of my HD Ultra Classic, it handles like it is on rails.
I just did a short ride before the rain came in But I didn't make it which wasn't a big deal,I was running up the Interstate,might need to apply something on the wind screen, also the Bike cleans up very easy. Man I am very Happy with the K1600 at this point,also I had gotten a tall seat with the bike,But it seems to push me a bit forward,I know RDL seat, I Just wanted to share my first 500 miles on a bike I had never sat on before,and actually just went and bought it,And I am so glad I just Did it.........
yup, coming from a Harley to this thing takes some getting used to.. weight wise, no but the power and the zippiness of this motor is something else... I progressed from raid, to road to dynamic (my usual) in about 2000 miles .. take your time, and above all else, remain safe.

2016 K1600GTL - All Options
2012 R1200R Classic (gone)
1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #13 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 AM

I made the same decision to learn the bike in Rain Mode. It was a mistake, I found myself stalling the bike a bit too many times. Reading other posting in this forum I decided to move to Dynamic. I never once regretted it. There's more lower end torque and the engine is more responsive and has manageable power. I only move to rain mode when it rains, or road mode when I'm droning on the highway to get some more mpg. All other times it's on Dynamic.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 09:35 AM

I bought my '12 when it was 2 months old with 1800 miles on it from an older gentleman in Albany, NY. He told he had always ridden it in the Rain mode. I did a flynbuy, 2 blocks after leaving his house I switched to Dynamic and have only switched to Rain when the road is wet. I've never ridden in Road mode. The K1600 is not a top fuel dragster...

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 09-28-2016 at 07:47 AM.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM

When I took delivery of my 1600 sales gal said leave it in rain mode tell you get used to bike, that lasted till first traffic light😎 When roads or wet or actually raining, rare in California, I use it. Got stuck on a ten mile section of washed out road near Trona Ca, rain mode came in handy in the gravel
post #16 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM

I only ride in Dynamic, or rain if it is wet. I would be very concerned breaking in a new motor, in Rain mode. I am a big believer in "ride it like you stole it" break in methods (well...except for revving overly high) and I don't think Rain gives the demands on the motor that it should for break in. I have used road mode when my wife was on back to cut down on abrupt throttle changes...

Cam
2014 K1600 GTL EXCLUSIVE (1st BMW)
CBDane Running lights
Schrodie dual colour emblems
Aeroflow Kit (Wings,Mini wings-GT Tall windshield)
Cal Science Xtra tall 26" windscreen
Dual BMW Communication Helmet Kits
PDM 60
Stebel Air horn (yet to be installed)
USB charger on bars
Issota trunk rack
post #17 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
did you try the different modes, mines always on dynamic (suits me)
Dynamic in the rain?! You are one brave (and talented) rider😊

Frank Smith
2014 GTL
New Market, AL
post #18 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
I've ridden the dragon twice on mine in the rain and just after. I wasn't leaning over like I would on dry/clean pavement but was still moving fast enough to easily score a performance award. Only time bike made me uncomfortable in the rain was this summer going through NYC in heavy rain - had such a death grip that I had to stop in New Jersey to let my hands recover. (Not bikes fault - just scenario)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYC traffic can do that to you on a dry sunny days, so don't feel bad.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #19 of 42 Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad View Post
NYC traffic can do that to you on a dry sunny days, so don't feel bad.
I ride my GTL/E in NYC nearly everyday and my hands are just fine. Try going from Queens, over either the Throgs Neck Bridge or the Whitestone Bridge then across the Cross Bronx Expressway, then across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey every morning during rush hour.

I guess I don't rattle very easily these days.
Maybe I should start drinking,,, heavily.
I think after this election I just might!
Northsquad likes this.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
post #20 of 42 Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank smith View Post
Dynamic in the rain?! You are one brave (and talented) rider😊
. Any other bike you ride where its a direct cable would be no different in reality. I put a couple of little markers on the outer edge of the twist grip, and for my daily journey I only ever seem to use 1/4 to 3/8 inch rotation at the outer edge to ride. Speed limits and hundreds of junctions makes it impractical to travel faster anywhere, and up to 60 is double / treble the posted limits.

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page