Riding in rain - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding in rain

Wow is all I can say about Riding The K1600 in the rain,Compared to one of my HD Ultra Classic, it handles like it is on rails.
I just did a short ride before the rain came in But I didn't make it which wasn't a big deal,I was running up the Interstate,might need to apply something on the wind screen, also the Bike cleans up very easy. Man I am very Happy with the K1600 at this point,also I had gotten a tall seat with the bike,But it seems to push me a bit forward,I know RDL seat, I Just wanted to share my first 500 miles on a bike I had never sat on before,and actually just went and bought it,And I am so glad I just Did it.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Garage
did you try the different modes, mines always on dynamic (suits me)

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #3 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
did you try the different modes, mines always on dynamic (suits me)
No I have left it in rain mode till I get use to the bike,it seems to be easier to shift the bike,it's a snappy mother,and I reviewed some other post here about the rain mode.and they claimed it cut the power back some,which works for me for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Any moisture on the road warrants "Rain Mode" for me. It works! Might add that if I plan a weekend getaway, the weather doesn't change the plan. Have logged many miles in the rain and the only other bike I was just as comfortable riding in the rain was a K1300GT. I'm lucky in that Carolyn's trooper and doesn't complain when it rains. Having the right gear is absolutely imperative to riding comfortably in the rain.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 09-25-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 06:04 PM

I've pushed my GT through the tail end of a category one Tropical Cyclone without issue.

Around here an inch of rain in under an hour is considered normal. The Angel GT's will even let me scrape pegs on roundabouts in those conditions. As for modes, I used rain mode once and wondered where the power went. Dynamic just makes it drink. Mine almost never comes out of normal mode.

It's certainly one of the easiest bikes I've ever owned for riding in less than ideal weather.

"Enterprise" 2011 K1600 GT

The ultimate outback tourer.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also have the Angel GT's, I had pondered about the next time around to change them out because of the chit chat of low mileage,But I might have to Reconsider that way of thinking,they stick very well........ 👍

Almost made me feel like a Pro hahahahahahahaha

I JUST WANT TO RIDE
BMWMOA# 210002
post #7 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER1 View Post
No I have left it in rain mode till I get use to the bike,it seems to be easier to shift the bike,it's a snappy mother,and I reviewed some other post here about the rain mode.and they claimed it cut the power back some,which works for me for now.
I agree with you during the "break in / get acquainted" period. Leave it in rain mode until you're comfortable with it. It's quite a drastic change from the HOG.
I got a couple of surprises on my trip home from Albuquerque until I discovered it was in dynamic mode
Stay safe & enjoy the new ride.
Welcome to the forum.

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
post #8 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 PM

Garage
I dislike riding in the rain. That said, we can't have sunshine and roses all the time. Welcome to the group.
BMWGuy likes this.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

15 GTL (looking for a new home)
16 R1200 GSA
17 CVO Limited
18 GTL
post #9 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
I dislike riding in the rain. That said, we can't have sunshine and roses all the time. Welcome to the group.

I actually enjoy riding in the rain, and fortunately my wife doesn't mind at all either. We've backed out of a dry garage far too many times to remember, only to be enjoying a rainbow sunset over the Gulf of Mexico as reward later on...

Jim
Tampa, FL
2014 K16GTL Graphite
2007 ST1300 Silver
post #10 of 42 Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 PM

I've ridden the dragon twice on mine in the rain and just after. I wasn't leaning over like I would on dry/clean pavement but was still moving fast enough to easily score a performance award. Only time bike made me uncomfortable in the rain was this summer going through NYC in heavy rain - had such a death grip that I had to stop in New Jersey to let my hands recover. (Not bikes fault - just scenario)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Blue GTL - RDL seat. Ztechnik tall windshield. F2P. CEE bailey bag liners. Illiumworks Highway Pegs, BMW Engine Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page