Start / Stop rocker switch issue - help - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Meese
  • 1 Post By ViennaK
  • 1 Post By tomas17
  • 1 Post By ResQU
  • 2 Post By Boneman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Start / Stop rocker switch issue - help

Ok, today out of the blue, I went to start the bike and the red switch seemed to be jammed... didn't want to move either to start or stop. I was basically stuck at the location I went to.. I gave it a vert firm push and it went to the start position but it seemed to be very stiff (duh!)... anyway, when I went to stop later at home, the switch then stayed in the stayed in the stop position ... I don't recall, is this normal? isn't the switch automatically supposed to go to the neutral position after you select stop?

Do I need to contact my dealer and get it changed out?

2016 K1600GTL - All Options
2012 R1200R Classic (gone)
1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Mine stuck in the cold a few times.

I'd let your dealer know about it, and get it changed under warranty before it leaves you stranded somewhere.
sjs likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 AM

Garage
Mine went out after a few months. Take a Torx 8 I think with you and you can take the cover off and that gets you to the micro switch. This allows you to start/stop the bike. Don't ask me how I know
sjs likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
Get it to the dealer for a new switch

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #5 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Garage
Perhaps hijacking thread but this made me wonder...
How do people 'turn off' the bike?
I never use the 'stop' switch and heard from a local BMW guy that using it prevents computers from shutting down properly.
Any truth to that?
Using key to shut it down better or no difference either way?
sjs likes this.

2012 K1600 GTL
1972 Norton Commando Roadster
post #6 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs View Post
, the switch then stayed in the stayed in the stop position ... I don't recall, is this normal? isn't the switch automatically supposed to go to the neutral position after you select stop?
My switch stays in the stop position until manually moving it. It will spring load into the neutral position after using the starter.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #7 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas17 View Post
Perhaps hijacking thread but this made me wonder...
How do people 'turn off' the bike?
I never use the 'stop' switch and heard from a local BMW guy that using it prevents computers from shutting down properly.
Any truth to that?
Using key to shut it down better or no difference either way?
I was taught years ago in a MSF course to shut down with the kill switch. The reason given was to enable the rider to maintain control of the bike with both hands on the bars until the motor was off. It was simply a safety rule. Functionally the only difference is that the power is still being supplied to the bikes electronics directly from the battery. Not a big deal when your next step is to turn off the key. On a keyless ride, however, it's easy to forget that and simply walk away with the bike left on....draining the battery. I got into the habit of using the ignition to shut down for that reason. I don't think there is any negative impact to the bikes electronics either way. BMW refers to the switch as "Emergency Kill" so, I would think that using the key/ignition to shut down under normal conditions is perfectly ok.

As to the OP of this post, mine also stays in the off position until the starter is again pressed then it returns to neutral.
tomas17 likes this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride

Last edited by ResQU; 02-09-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
My switch stays in the stop position until manually moving it. It will spring load into the neutral position after using the starter.

What is totally strange is I swear it didn't used to do that!! and now hearing you and the guy below have the same thing even further confuses me... I guess I'll take it in and see what they say.

2016 K1600GTL - All Options
2012 R1200R Classic (gone)
1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQU View Post
I was taught years ago in a MSF course to shut down with the kill switch. The reason given was to enable the rider to maintain control of the bike with both hands on the bars until the motor was off. It was simply a safety rule. Functionally the only difference is that the power is still being supplied to the bikes electronics directly from the battery. Not a big deal when your next step is to turn off the key. On a keyless ride, however, it's easy to forget that and simply walk away with the bike left on....draining the battery. I got into the habit of using the ignition to shut down for that reason. I don't think there is any negative impact to the bikes electronics either way. BMW refers to the switch as "Emergency Kill" so, I would think that using the key/ignition to shut down under normal conditions is perfectly ok.

As to the OP of this post, mine also stays in the off position until the starter is again pressed then it returns to neutral.
We always teach our students to NOT use the kill switch. Reason being that sure it shuts the engine off, but the bike's electrics are still on including your head light. Very easy, especially for new riders, to shut their bike off with the kill switch and walk away, then come back to a dead bike (with the key still in it). On more than one occasion I've come back from lunch only to have to bump start a student bike because they did this very thing. Only takes a few of those to make sure I now harp on them to turn their bikes off properly.

Personally I will use the key (can never go wrong with this) or sometimes drop the side stand down when in 1st gear (clutch in obviously). I guess it's what ever you get used too.
ResQU and tomas17 like this.

~ Boneman
2011 K1600GTL
Motorcycle Instructor

Last edited by Boneman; 02-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page