Navigator noob question - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Only time mine comes off the bike is for programming, updating maps, or charging. I've found that if the bike sits for a few weeks the battery on the NAV V gets pretty low.

Duane
Yep, same here

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 AM

Garage
I do pretty much the same, it comes out when I'm updating/playing with it. The rest of the time it's in it's cradle. I do carry a towel in my top box that I use to shield the dash from direct sunlight. Just a petty thing for me, but it does help keep prying eyes to a minimum...if left out overnight I cover the bike just to help keep it clean/dry for the next day. I'm not kidding myself, if someone is going to steal or damage something on the bike......,well then, I carry good insurance 😎

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #13 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunzee View Post
After riding 3,000 miles in low 40's degree rain in Arizona Jim's back yard, the last thing I'd worry about is the Nav getting wet......
I do most of my riding in the other 48 continental states so I get wet a lot.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
^^^ Yup, agree with all that.

Would also encourage you to get familiar with Garmin Basecamp... it really is a powerful easy-to-use tool once you get to know it.

This is the best Basecamp tutorial in existence IMO: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf
While it may be fairly powerful, it is anything but easy to use, and I'm pretty savvy with all things computer. The interface is atrocious. It needed a major rewrite 10 years ago (before I ever had it).
Darbinco likes this.
post #15 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
While it may be fairly powerful, it is anything but easy to use, and I'm pretty savvy with all things computer. The interface is atrocious. It needed a major rewrite 10 years ago (before I ever had it).
At first it did seem very difficult... but I chose to stop complaining and figure it out. Once you do, you will be a big fan of it. Everything about it is brilliantly done. Everything. Even the search feature finds everything I've ever hunted for and easily incorporates new waypoints into your route.... in any one of numerous ways.

There is a learning curve, as with all things, but once you learn, it's very easy, logical, and powerful. There's nothing in Basecamp that leaves you wanting. The features are here. Read that tutorial... firmly grasp the basic concepts, structure, organization, nomenclature... start small by creating short routes... refer back to the tutorial when you have a question... and that's it! You're off and running.

The only thing Basecamp needs is the ability to load satellite images, which it may already do with the Birdseye feature, I just haven't looked into it. Whenever I need to it's just been easier (and completely free) to click the button in Basecamp to bring up Google Earth to show satellite images

When I see people knocking Basecamp, I think that's a huge disservice by discouraging people to not even look into it, an incredibly powerful and useful tool that will greatly enrichen the whole navigation experience.
Boneman likes this.

2018 K1600 GTL, Thunder Grey
"Ride like lightning, roll like thunder." - Kid Rock, American Badass
post #16 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you gents! As always I appreciate your feedback and advice.

I've messed around with basecamp already and concur with the 'learning curve', although nothing is as bad as that ever changing iTunes crap!!! Went Android and my god life got so much better! Could never figure out how Apple could make something so intuitive and easy to use as the iPhone, then totally sh*t the bed and made such a horrible POS like iTunes......

What about washing your bike where you may have direct spray on the GPS/housing area (nothing too powerful for obvious reasons)?

~ Boneman
2011 K1600GTL
Motorcycle Instructor
post #17 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 PM

When I said I leave my NAV in all the time, I meant all the time... Of course I don't blast the hose directly at the NAV.

Duane
Boneman likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #18 of 46 Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
Here is a thread https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...lp-thread.html that was started awhile back to help folks with Basecamp.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #19 of 46 Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER1 View Post
So here is a question how often should one update the Nav???? Or what do the more Experienced do???
Garmin publishes major map updates every year, so... at least once per!

If something is acting strange, go ahead and hook it up to see if a firmware update is available.

Otherwise I only connect when I'm uploading new routes or waypoints.

2018 K1600 GTL, Thunder Grey
"Ride like lightning, roll like thunder." - Kid Rock, American Badass
post #20 of 46 Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 PM

I update my NAV a bit more often due to the Red Light Camera updates as they come more frequently. All updates come via the Garmin Express. I also update it about a month before any significant trip I'm going to go on. I also have a Zumo 665 as a backup, just in case.
srt8-in-largo likes this.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page