BMW K1600 Forum banner

My radar detector mount.

24K views 90 replies 32 participants last post by  Darbinco 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've been thinking about this better part of 6 months. I finally got off my ass and got to work on it. I had a prototype finished and mounted when Chris was here a couple weeks ago. We rode about 700 miles while he was here and didn't have a problem. It does bounce a little on real rough road but all in all it rides real nice.

It's nothing more than 3/16 ABS plastic that's been heated to a pliable state and formed to exacting tolerances :)grin: if you can believe that) to fit the dash. It attaches to the top of the gps bezel with VHB tape and curls up and over the dash to make a small shelf. I then used sticky backed Velcro to attach the RD to the shelf and added an extra Velcro strap for insurance.

I routed the wires for power and the audio (to the SR10) wires under the speaker cover and out a small hole in the top of the bezel. This was just a proof of concept trail run so to speak. My Nav VI will be here next week and eventually I'll have to replace the bezel at which time the wires will then come out under the shelf. I didn't feel like tearing it all apart to do it this time when I have to do it again later.

The 3/16 material might cut off the very top edge of view from the gps if your taller, shorter guys... maybe not. I don't think it's any worse than any other shelf type system out there. I tried it with 1/8 but it was too thin and flexible. I would have needed to make another bend for a front leg and I didn't want to get that complex with it, took long enough to make the jig for this as it was. LOL!

What do you think?

Installation instructions,

The shelf will come with VHB tape already afixed. Dry fit the shelf a couple times without touching the tape to the top of the gps bezel so you get the hang of how it's to be installed and how deep you want it into the bezel. Also watch the clearance to the windshield, you don't want any contact. The detector will have to be installed to the rear of the shelf for clearance too.

Clean the dash bezel with supplied alcohol wipes, then peel the cover off the VHB tape and install. Take a few minutes and really press the shelf onto the bezel, working the edges and the middle where the tape is. You have to get it right the first time! Once bonded VHB tape likes to stay where you put it and getting it off can be a challenge. It's defiantly one of those get it right the first time deals.

I've done just about everything I can do to make sure these are right on. They have been set against a master piece and the angle matched. After install, If by chance the angle is a little off you can warm the main bend with a heat gun (a good hair dryer will work but takes a lot longer) and make slight adjustments if necessary, have a wet rag on hand to cool the plastic once you have it set. Also place a wet towel on the rest of your dash so you don't get it hot. I have to get them to a real flexible state when making them but to tweak in a slight adjustment you don't. If anyone has a problem with the shelf, please send me a PM and I will do my best to resolve the issue.

17 and 18 model year shelves won't be available until I get a bezel to work with.

Ordering
Send me a private message and include your full name and shipping address.

I will return your PM with payment info.

$25 bucks shipped anywhere in the states.

Attachments

See less See more
#89 ·
Gentlemen.. (and I use the term loosely:grin:)

Version 1.2 of the radar shelf is in the works, I will have a prototype in my hands around this time next week. It will be formed from 16ga Stainless sheet metal so they will be much stiffer than the old ones. Im guessing here but the bounce of this old shelf just might be a thing of the past.

Yes, they will cost a little more as someone else is going to be manufacturing them and I will have to finish them myself. However, I think its going to be a much better product in the fact that it will be better looking, more consistent shape, less bounce and not block the top of the GPS screen due to the thickness of the material.

When I get one finished I will start a new thread with details and pictures.

#90 ·
Version 1.2 of the radar shelf is in the works, I will have a prototype in my hands around this time next week. It will be formed from 16ga Stainless sheet metal so they will be much stiffer than the old ones. Im guessing here but the bounce of this old shelf just might be a thing of the past.

Yes, they will cost a little more as someone else is going to be manufacturing them and I will have to finish them myself. However, I think its going to be a much better product in the fact that it will be better looking, more consistent shape, less bounce and not block the top of the GPS screen due to the thickness of the material.

Thanks for doing the orginal design. It is usually a lot simpler to refine someone else's design than to create the design from scratch. I understand that. I do not mean to take any props from you, by modifying your design.

I actually thought about doing exactly what you described above, when I received the current version from you. Some things I thought about:

• The plastic does not seem to make full contact with the underdash surface for whatever reason. Like it needs a slight curve, or bend, or to change the shape of the bend at the lip or something. I did not take the time to figure out exactly what it would need. If I were to redesign, I would want to make this fit better. Ideally this would be a full area surface-to-surface contact / adhesive.
  • Going with something harder, e.g. steel, in a zone of potential impact in a crash, I am not sure is a good idea. This is the main reason I decided to just modify the current, softer material design to correct the issues I saw, and add the "gumdrops".

Other people might have other good ideas as well, on how to make it better, if you are open to suggestions from others. Thanks again for leading the charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.