Centre Stand - One Size Fits All, or does it? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FP-NLD View Post
To turn and wash the front wheel I use a paddock stand.
Or is this solution too easy? ;-)
It is even easier if you don't wash it.
Almost 3 years and never had a bath; come to think of it neither have I.
FP-NLD, Brick and lone-rider like this.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 AM

I have a rear stand that I use on my sport bikes. Mine was $40 or so at Cycle Gear. Rear stands have a "U" shaped piece that you can roll under the back of the bike on the swing arm spools and lift the bike.

What I do is run a metal rod through the front axle with the bike on the centerstand and lift the front off the ground with the stand.

See here if you are not familiar with.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

Last edited by jjscsix; 06-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymarlboroman View Post
It is even easier if you don't wash it.
Almost 3 years and never had a bath; come to think of it neither have I.

Darryl. That is awful.....that your bike has not had a bath

Last edited by jjscsix; 06-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
Equal right for humans

whenever I take my bike in for service I get back fresh and clean. Maybe our Floridian friend should negotiate a similar service with his primary physician when due for the annual physical. Just sayin.....

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #15 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I have a rear stand that I use on my sport bikes. Mine was $40 or so at Cycle Gear. Rear stands have a "U" shaped piece that you can roll under the back of the bike on the swing arm spools and lift the bike.

What I do is run a metal rod through the front axle with the bike on the centerstand and lift the front off the ground with the stand.

See hear if you are not familiar with. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyeEFPVhIQ
That is the smartest and simplest idea I have ever seen. Why didn't I think of that. Hope you don't mind if I steal that idea. Even a couple of jack stands would do the job.
jjscsix likes this.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
post #16 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRider View Post
On every other bike I have had I always take pressure off the front wheel to turn the steering hard left before applying the OEM steering lock. Not doing so is much like sitting behind the wheel of your stationary car or truck and turning the steering wheel from centred to full lock. It's not good for the tyres, especially when hot. If you don't belive me, look how much rubber you leave on a light coloured parking area.

Likewise, as has already been mentioned, it also makes lifting and spinning the front wheelduring washing very difficult.

None of this is a deal breaker, just wondering if maybe BMW missed a trick by not putting the centre stand a fraction further forward ? That said, maybe that would make lifting the bike onto the centre stand almost impossible as there would be more weight rearward of the pivot point ?
Are you a Scot or Yourkshireman? I only ask because if your worried about losing 0.0005mm of tread from just turning the bars then I would respectfully suggest that you may have picked the wrong bike if you want to conserve tyres.

Seriously though, I dont see the problem here. I don't use the steering lock that much, its pointless, most pro bike theives will disable it in seconds. When touring and parked outside a city cente hotel, I will use it, but add a disc lock and use the alarm. I usually leave the panniers unlocked as well so that some lowlife does not need to prise them open and cause more damage.
As for the front wheel lift, I use a bit of wood and a car jack. Simple. Nice idea with the metal rod and paddock stand though, I'll remember that one.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robxxxx View Post
Are you a Scot or Yourkshireman? I only ask because if your worried about losing 0.0005mm of tread from just turning the bars then I would respectfully suggest that you may have picked the wrong bike if you want to conserve tyres.

Seriously though, I dont see the problem here. I don't use the steering lock that much, its pointless, most pro bike theives will disable it in seconds. When touring and parked outside a city cente hotel, I will use it, but add a disc lock and use the alarm. I usually leave the panniers unlocked as well so that some lowlife does not need to prise them open and cause more damage.
As for the front wheel lift, I use a bit of wood and a car jack. Simple. Nice idea with the metal rod and paddock stand though, I'll remember that one.
Alarms are useless too in my opinion. I always park next to Harley's knowing theives will not even notice my bike
post #18 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 PM

It has a steering lock??? News to me? I've always figured if someone wants it that badly to over come the factory alarm and ignition lock, good luck to them. That's why i pay insurance. I can live with owning a new bike for a week or twos inconvenience.

As far as I know with the exception of the FYK16, all the suspension and stands are the same on all models.

I'm with Doug though. Time spent washing it, is time spent not riding it. If the road gods want it clean, they'll make it rain.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 AM

FWIW I had reason to keep the front of my GTL off the ground once (I forget why) and wound up putting 55 lb of plate weights in the topcase to unweight the front wheel. To do it by hand I had to use both arms and lean onto it. On my RT (and GSA) I can do it with one hand.

I think it would be necessary to move the centerstand forward about 2 inches to balance it better, is there something about the frame or engine that would keep BMW from doing that? That said, I doubt they'd consider doing it now that it's probably past the midpoint of its lifecycle, a change of that magnitude would be expensive, and it hasn't been a big deal for most owners.

A Goldwing weighs considerably more than a K16 and IIRC is no more difficult to centerstand, and is better balanced when its up there, so I don't think ease of centerstanding is a consideration of where it's placed.
iRider likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You guys must have real easy going insurance companies if you don't use the steering lock. In the UK if it's stolen then recovered and the steering lock is intact they know you didn't lock it and WILL reduce any pay out. If it's not in the garage when parked at home, no pay out, if it's stolen with the keys in it, no payout.

Likewise, I always lock panniers as there are always things like puncture kits, securing straps, spare gloves etc inside. These all cost me money and I'm not prepared to let any scum that wants them just walk up and help himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page