K1600B pre-purchase questions - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

K1600B pre-purchase questions

Before I pull the trigger on the K1600B, I have some questions for those that actually have spent some time on the K1600B. I'll add more as I think of them.

First, does the dreaded 'pull to the left' occur with the 2018 K1600B? I was the OP for the survey done way back in 2011 where 49% pulled to the left (essentially none to the right).

Second, does the bike have any buzz in the black handlebars and if so at what RPM/constant speed range? That's my first choice. How about the forged silver bars? The S1000XR had this issue and I've dealt with it in the past on other bikes. It would be a deal breaker if there is even a hint of an issue from 50mph (80kph) through 80mph (130kph) on the highway.

Third, tankbag mounting. For long distance trips, I would want a tankbag (can be a small one) using the locking ring on the fuel filler. Do the black handlebars prevent this use? In other words, would this only work with the forged silver bars? An option would be to mount a pouch on the black handlebars if the tankbag wouldn't work.

Fourth, has anyone rerouted or extended the USB cable in the rear right saddlebag up to the handlebar area? For me, the location in the saddlebag would be useless and I definitely want to mount the iPhone either on the handlebars or somewhere similar. Thought?

Fifth, strapping down items on the passenger seat. Since there is no rack of any sort on the rear of the bike and given the curves (which I like) is strapping items down on the rear seat an issue? I'm thinking of whether items shift around. Does anyone know of a rack under development for the K1600B? 99% of the time I wouldn't need it but would love to have the option.

BTW, i did test putting my XL full face helmet in the left saddlebag and it does fit. It's not intuitive as to how you do it. The helmet has to be upside down and it is pushed in faceshield first (not sidways) then rotated once it's in. The Goldwing wasn't even close to fitting the helmet, which is curious for a bike that's supposed to be the 2-up tourer. The K1600B sidebags are much bigger and have more useful space.
Topsarge likes this.

18 KTM 1290 SAS, 19 DR650, 19 DRZ400S - IBA#42277
Sold - 18 K1600B, 1200S DVT, F800GS, K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, CB600, GL1800, R1200RT, K75 and the list goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
1) Mine wanders left when I take my hands off the bars. I would not call it a "pull". So did my last 2 street glides, I think it's the way I sit (although I also had a tendency to keep more gear in the left than the right too... A little knee pressure to the tank or a shift of weight to the right straightens it out. If it's a concern, obviously the best thing to do would be the test ride the one you intend to purchase and see if it does it or not?

2) I've never noticed a buzz. I ride with gloves 100% of the time.

3) I can't imagine how a tank bag would fit over the fuel filling area. I have the black handlebars. That area is very tight. I can imagine mounting some sort of pouch to the bar though.

4) No, I have not. For an iPhone to work, you need to use the BMW splitter. I don't know how long of a Lightning cable you can run to the front of the bike, or conversely, run the USB/Audio cable and use the splitter closer to the destination. I would think doing either would make it ripe for picking up noise though, so you'd have to get a pretty good cable. Why do you need the iPhone on the bars, may I ask? GPS (assume you aren't getting the Nav VI)? You can control the iPhone music functions through the stereo.

5) Haven't tried yet, seems like there is more than adequate space to do something there. I think your questions have more to do with the type of bag/mounting system you get than the "B" specifically though? I'll be looking into that next year too. There is a backrest and rack that someone came up with, there is a thread on it around here. It's not what I'd call attractive, but it's an option. I've not specifically heard of BMW doing anything, there were rumors of a trunk, but that turned into the Grand America and is not a retrofit to the B from what we read.

Good luck!

Jim

As of 9/29 - 2018 K1600B - 1st BMW bike
post #3 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
1) Mine wanders left when I take my hands off the bars. I would not call it a "pull". So did my last 2 street glides, I think it's the way I sit (although I also had a tendency to keep more gear in the left than the right too... A little knee pressure to the tank or a shift of weight to the right straightens it out.
Then you don't have the pull to the left. If you did, it would be very noticeable. What happens is the bike starts to wander left then the speed of the deviation picks up, forcing to to correct immediately or you will dump it. That's good to hear.

Quote:
2) I've never noticed a buzz. I ride with gloves 100% of the time.
Very good to hear.

Quote:
3) I can't imagine how a tank bag would fit over the fuel filling area. I have the black handlebars. That area is very tight. I can imagine mounting some sort of pouch to the bar though.
I figured this but the utility of the 'regular' bars (and they're black) outweighs the small amount of times I would use a tank bag.

Quote:
4) No, I have not. For an iPhone to work, you need to use the BMW splitter. I don't know how long of a Lightning cable you can run to the front of the bike, or conversely, run the USB/Audio cable and use the splitter closer to the destination. I would think doing either would make it ripe for picking up noise though, so you'd have to get a pretty good cable. Why do you need the iPhone on the bars, may I ask? GPS (assume you aren't getting the Nav VI)? You can control the iPhone music functions through the stereo.
I can reroute the wiring as necessary. Shielding is not a problem. Used to build experimental aircraft, including a fiber optic control system, so that's in my wheelhouse. I want the iPhone on the bars as I use apps like Waze to avoid the inevitable tickets without it. Found a sneaky LEO yesterday using Waze. The guy behind me wasn't so lucky. He had to be doing 90 when he passed me as I coasted to just over the speed limit.

Quote:
5) Haven't tried yet, seems like there is more than adequate space to do something there. I think your questions have more to do with the type of bag/mounting system you get than the "B" specifically though? I'll be looking into that next year too. There is a backrest and rack that someone came up with, there is a thread on it around here. It's not what I'd call attractive, but it's an option. I've not specifically heard of BMW doing anything, there were rumors of a trunk, but that turned into the Grand America and is not a retrofit to the B from what we read.
I'm fine with the permanent mounting of the side bags. I never took the panniers off on any of the BMW's I've owned over the years, so they might as well have been bolted on. Only advantage was when I washed them.

I did speak with the BMW rep at the NY Motorcycle show. He showed me the bolts on the Grand America that have be to removed to slide the topcase off the rails that hold it in place. He said they were working on a removal kit (I guess it would have some sort of blanking plate) but had no idea about timing. For the K1600B, he said he had been told just that day that there would be some sort of rack for the K1600B but again, no real details or timing. And yes, there is no swapping at this point between the Grand America & K1600B. I would have gone for the Grand America but the grab rails are silver, which would look odd with the topcase removed, imo.

I have seen the one aftermarket rack for the K1600B. Nice attempt but it's pretty ugly. What BMW did for the Grand America is have two rails that extend back from the sides of the passenger seat like a fork. The topcase slides onto them and bolts in place.
Topsarge likes this.

Sold - 18 K1600B, 1200S DVT, F800GS, K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, CB600, GL1800, R1200RT, K75 and the list goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 11:19 AM

Garage
The two questions that I can address are;

1. Pull to the left? Have not noticed it, then again, I don't ride without my hands on the handlebars. Could not be happier with the bikes handling.

2. Have not noticed any vibration at any speed or vibration. I'm really amazed at how smooth this 6cyl is, regardless of RPM. Smoothest motor I have ever experienced.

Don't have enough information on your other questions to provide educated answers. I do feel certain BMW will offer a luggage rack for the B.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
rikracer99 likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
1) I have a slight pull to left but only very slight adjust my body and its dead on no problem
2) No vibration at all through out all speeds and I have been way up there
3) I have a the smallest cortech bag and it works very well however from all my research everyone said lock rings dont work well on the 1600 so I did not try. re-configured straps a bit and works great.
4) 1600 miles with an old harley drybag bungeed to the back seat and no worries.

I love this bike from picking up graceries to commute and long haul it has serviced me well
Topsarge likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
Forgot to say the bag is small but I also did a heli extender it gives it plenty of space
post #7 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
The two questions that I can address are;

1. Pull to the left? Have not noticed it, then again, I don't ride without my hands on the handlebars. Could not be happier with the bikes handling.

2. Have not noticed any vibration at any speed or vibration. I'm really amazed at how smooth this 6cyl is, regardless of RPM. Smoothest motor I have ever experienced.

Don't have enough information on your other questions to provide educated answers. I do feel certain BMW will offer a luggage rack for the B.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
What Scott said. My only caveat is that I have far less miles on mine than he does. Rode it home from the dealer before putting it away prior to going on travel. No detectable issues with the demo I rode. FWIW, I have forged bars.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
post #8 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM

1600B tank bag

My wife uses an Alpine Star tank bag from Revzilla that converts to a backpack and straps it on the passenger seat of her 1600B. It comes with a yellow rain cover that she used on our way home from Biketoberfest 10/22/17 when we had a few showers coming through South Carolina that day. With the top and side cases on my GTL I don't need the extra bag but Sandy used this bag on the back of her '98 R1200C Cruiser as well before she got the 1600B this summer. Because it's a backpack we take it on airline trips and Sandy carries it on board as her handbag so she still gets an overhead bag allowed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tankbag.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	102266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandy Biketoberfest home 10:22:17.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	102274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enroute Biketoberfest Oct 2017.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	102282  
post #9 of 27 Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Question # 6 - how is the 3 hour comfort of the K1600B seat relative to the K1600GTL? I always thought BMW had the worst seats (at least they're consistent) but boy the Ducati was worse, if that's even possible.

From the parts fiche I see two options, the regular (P/N 52538566495) and low (P/N 77348393817). Given my bony rear and 35" inseam, the low is out of the picture, so I'm looking for feedback on the regular seat.

Obviously I'll know before the first oil change, whether the stock seat will work. I've tried airhawks and beadriders in the past with limited success. Always ended up getting a Russell Day Long (did a BBG 1500 mile day on a Russell... comfy rear the whole time).

Question # 7 - I'm going to get the BMW GPS Nav VI as part of the purchase package. Is the alignment of the Nav screen still an issue relative to the plastic hole in the dash? This was a problem back in 2011 and I had to do some major surgery/superglue/shimming to get the unit centered.

Question # 8 - How much does the first run-in service typically cost? Has anyone gotten the first service thrown in as part of the purchase price or discounted?

Last edited by sfoster; 12-04-2017 at 07:09 AM.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Question # 6 - how is the 3 hour comfort of the K1600B seat relative to the K1600GTL? I always thought BMW had the worst seats (at least they're consistent) but boy the Ducati was worse, if that's even possible. BMW typically made seats rounded like a football to allow shorter inseams to reach. The B's seat looks abit flatter. Take a three hour test ride, no butt is the same

From the parts fiche I see two options, the regular (P/N 52538566495) and low (P/N 77348393817). Given my bony rear and 35" inseam, the low is out of the picture, so I'm looking for feedback on the regular seat.

Obviously I'll know before the first oil change, whether the stock seat will work. I've tried airhawks and beadriders in the past with limited success. Always ended up getting a Russell Day Long (did a BBG 1500 mile day on a Russell... comfy rear the whole time). I have aftermarket seat on all my BMW's and my Harley when I had it.

Question # 7 - I'm going to get the BMW GPS Nav VI as part of the purchase package. Is the alignment of the Nav screen still an issue relative to the plastic hole in the dash? This was a problem back in 2011 and I had to do some major surgery/superglue/shimming to get the unit centered. Don't sweat the small stuff, don't accept the bike is there is ANY defect of deformity. Upon delivery is the best time to note ANY issues.

Question # 8 - How much does the first run-in service typically cost? Has anyone gotten the first service thrown in as part of the purchase price or discounted? Zero to $225.00 I got mine included with the purchase deal. DIY for about $50.00
Hope this helps, be careful not to fall into the mind perceived issue victim.
Frequently the more negatively subjective things you read the more objectively confused you can become.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 12-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page