Hill start - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Garage
Engine running, stopped, kickstand up, front brake lever, squeeze it on.
Drive away, it will release by itself.
ResQU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunzee View Post
Engine running, stopped, kickstand up, front brake lever, squeeze it on.
Drive away, it will release by itself.
Yes but you have to give the bike more gas and it will not move right away like when not using the hill start. I have "trained" myself to watch the lights and quickly deactivate it with the front brake lever before pulling away but that's just me and those that know me don't usually want to follow my directions
I too thought it was a feature that I wouldn't use much but I find myself using it quite a lot. I find it's easier to use than the lower part of my legs against the foot pegs to keep the bike still.
RefCat and claw like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #13 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
Yes but you have to give the bike more gas and it will not move right away like when not using the hill start. I have "trained" myself to watch the lights and quickly deactivate it with the front brake lever before pulling away but that's just me and those that know me don't usually want to follow my directions
I too thought it was a feature that I wouldn't use much but I find myself using it quite a lot. I find it's easier to use than the lower part of my legs against the foot pegs to keep the bike still.
I upgraded by '17GSA so I had it. I really like how it locks both brakes. Not fun having your front wheel locked and sliding down a rocky slope backwards that was too steep to go up in the first place...
ResQU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 07:52 PM

I only use it when I momentarily have to take my hands off the bars in my driveway. When I'm on a hill I still use the foot brake to hold the bike.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #15 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Different strokes but I use it all the time. Even when faced downhill at a traffic light, gives me a moment to relax. Pulling away whether it be up or down hill IMHO it is a matter of practice to get used to using it.
ResQU and 6xGrins like this.
post #16 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 10:10 PM

A month with my new bike and a few hundred miles; I love it! I use it constantly up hill down hill.
I agree I don't like to start off while it is still engaged.
I squeeze on and squeeze off then with foot on brake roll away as any other start.

Personally, I think it is a very nice addition to an incredible bike.
ResQU likes this.
post #17 of 62 Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 AM

Garage
Youíll get used to starting off with it set. It takes a little practice and timing but will make a world of difference when loaded down and 2up...(plus a trailer). I love the hill start feature
Snurtle, 6xGrins and av8or like this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #18 of 62 Old 05-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Maybe on my annual trips up north, but for 95% of my riding in Flatlorida, it would just not be used.

I starting riding and driving in the hills of WV as a teenager, and you either learn how to drive a "straight" on hills or you don't survive. Living at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains was taken for granted and today missed whenever I get on the bike.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #19 of 62 Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Thx for the 2up comment ResQU. Being new here and on the heavy GTL will def try a different approach.

I grew up riding on the Grand Prairie of Eastern AR on a 1969 Honda CL175, hence no need for it. Now, living in the hills of LR and enjoying the Ozarks every chance I get, it is priceless!
ResQU likes this.
post #20 of 62 Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQU View Post
Youíll get used to starting off with it set. It takes a little practice and timing but will make a world of difference when loaded down and 2up...(plus a trailer). I love the hill start feature
It does work very nice with practice. I have taken ResQU's sage advice and start with it still engaged with no problems what so ever. I just needed to be more patient and stay in the friction zone for a split second longer that usual... using it more and its second nature now. Thanks Much...
ResQU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page