Hill start - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 05-19-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
It does work very nice with practice. I have taken ResQU's sage advice and start with it still engaged with no problems what so ever. I just needed to be more patient and stay in the friction zone for a split second longer that usual... using it more and its second nature now. Thanks Much...

Itís even more smooth when in Rain mode. Which is how I ride 2up. Rain mode helps with helmet bumps during shifting. My wife doesnít care for a spirited ride so if I want her with me then I tone it down....happy wife, happy life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Synt, Scott Titensor and av8or like this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 05-19-2018, 01:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
I too thought it was a feature that I wouldn't use much but I find myself using it quite a lot. I find it's easier to use than the lower part of my legs against the foot pegs to keep the bike still.
Would have LOVED to have it on my '12 while riding 2-up in San Francisco. Didn't stall the bike but likely reduced my clutch pack's life by several "regular riding" months that day. Especially considering my Friction Zone changes position quite significantly on a regular basis. (Sometimes as often as being in a different place from one block to the next.)

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-19-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatop View Post
I have a new to me Hill Start assist on my 2014 K1600GTLE. The manual doesn't tell me how to use the hill start assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just went through this today on my 2018 GTL. I pulled it once and than pulled the brake lever a second time kinda firm. An H than lit up on the dash and it held. One pull didn't seem to activate it. It took 2 times on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatop View Post
I have a new to me Hill Start assist on my 2014 K1600GTLE. The manual doesn't tell me how to use the hill start assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Am positive it's in the owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The grass looks greener on the other side, but it still needs mowing,
post #25 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 AM
Val

I had a problem with hill start until, with some training, I realized that releasing the clutch and adding gas should not be quite a simultaneous process. Try to lead with clutch release slowly and then keep adding as little gas as necessary to hear the same rpm-s. It is the clutch release, that at one point, releases the brake.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 AM

Garage
I thought itís linked to the bikes ABS. When it senses wheel movement it releases....the ABS light flashes on the instrument display. If it was the clutch lever, (micro switch) it would release while your in neutral and lever released....

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #27 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodles View Post
Am positive it's in the owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
First page of the Table of Contents has "Hill Start Control" listed along with the page number.

Here is the text (pictures provided in manual):
Using Hill Start Control
Apply brake lever 1 firmly and then release.
The indicator lamp for Hill Start Control appears on the display.
Hill Start Control has been activated.
To turn off Hill Start Control, pull brake lever 1 again. Alternatively, drive off in 1st or 2nd gear.

K1600B - returned to BMW by Court order.
IBA # 42277
Sold - Ducati Multistrada 1200S, F800GS, S1000RR, K1600GTL's, R1200GSA, CB600R, GL1800, R1200RS, K75S, etc.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Is the Hill Start assist a software function that can be uploaded to the K16 if it didnít come with the feature from the factory?

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
post #29 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM

I have to say, when I first heard of hill start I thought " Great just something else to break, who would use it"?
Well...Ö..my GTL is a heavy bike and exiting my own country road is a little challenging.
IF there is any traffic I find my self using the hill start.

Once you get the knack it is no big deal.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Is the Hill Start assist a software function that can be uploaded to the K16 if it didnít come with the feature from the factory?

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
It's just a software change but not for your 2013 or below. They change something with the ABS pump/stem. My dealer tried to get it for me but found only 2014 & after.

I LOVE the hill assist, especially 2 up in the mountains.
ResQU likes this.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page