Hill start - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Flatop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 22
Hill start

I have a new to me Hill Start assist on my 2014 K1600GTLE. The manual doesn't tell me how to use the hill start assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Flatop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Arizona Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paulden, AZ (in the Prescott area)
Posts: 5,496
Garage
I'm still learning the Hill Start on my used 2016 bike I bought earlier this year but so far this is what I've figured out. The bike needs to be at a complete stand still, pull the front brake lever all the way kind of squeezing it hard, see that the H shows on the dash when it's set.
To release it you can either just start moving by twisting the throttle normally but there will be a hard spot while first twisting it before the bike actually starts to move
The other way is to pull the front brake lever a second time and the H will disappear and the brakes will be released.
Again I think the main thing is that the bike is at a complete stop and the wheels aren't moving at all before the H will appear when pulling on the front brake lever.
RedCard and 03Camjob like this.


2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Arizona Jim is offline  
post #3 of 62 Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 243
Garage
The manual explains it. On my ‘15, you pull and then pull again the front brake lever. Yes, you have to be stopped. And it only lasts so long because it’s “not a parking break.” Then, let go of brakes and start normally until the power overtakes and releases the break. No intervention with brake lever required.

Justin / 2015 K1600GT
6xGrins is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 AM
Senior Member
 
RefCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 1,627
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xGrins View Post
The manual explains it. On my ‘15, you pull and then pull again the front brake lever. Yes, you have to be stopped. And it only lasts so long because it’s “not a parking break.” Then, let go of brakes and start normally until the power overtakes and releases the break. No intervention with brake lever required.
I found that starting out with it still on is a bit tricky. I've killed the bike a few times doing so. I just release it just before i want to go.
RefCat is online now  
post #5 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
ross_e_bagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cheshire UK
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
I'm still learning the Hill Start on my used 2016 bike I bought earlier this year but so far this is what I've figured out. The bike needs to be at a complete stand still, pull the front brake lever all the way kind of squeezing it hard, see that the H shows on the dash when it's set.
To release it you can either just start moving by twisting the throttle normally but there will be a hard spot while first twisting it before the bike actually starts to move
The other way is to pull the front brake lever a second time and the H will disappear and the brakes will be released.
Again I think the main thing is that the bike is at a complete stop and the wheels aren't moving at all before the H will appear when pulling on the front brake lever.
I agree with all the above, on my 2018 B I have also noticed that the abs warning light flashes for a moment as you drive away without releasing the hill start first and that if you kill the engine while you have hill start engaged it releases the brake however I think it is a really useful feature especially as I have got used to it on my last few cars.

K1600BLE + Comfort Pack
ross_e_bagger is offline  
post #6 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
JoeP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 922
Garage
Use caution and cover your brake while using it, in case you need to grab it quickly. On 2 occasions my hill start released without any input from me. I'm not sure why. It has been a long time since a repeat but I keep it in mind.

Also, the hill start will release if you put the kick stand down or turn the bike off.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.
JoeP is offline  
post #7 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,338
Can the hill start be disabled if you do not want to use it?

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
DanDiver is offline  
post #8 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
crazyarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Can the hill start be disabled if you do not want to use it?
If you don't want to use it, don't use it. I suppose the dealer might be able to disable it in the bikes brain or something like that. I actually have found this feature useful and reliable. And that's coming from a guy who generally hates gimmicks and complains a lot!
DanDiver, Tinman, JoeP and 1 others like this.

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
2007 1250 Bandit - totaled
SV650 - Sold Unfortunately
crazyarch is online now  
post #9 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 193
Garage
I think you have to double-tap the front brake to engage the hill holder. That's how I get it to work.
Mad Max is offline  
post #10 of 62 Old 05-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
RefCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 1,627
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think you have to double-tap the front brake to engage the hill holder. That's how I get it to work.
Not a double tap, just a quick squeeze while stopped....and the same to disengage.
crazyarch likes this.
RefCat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome