Overheating - Page 11 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager77 View Post
I am not concerned about halfway up the gauge. I am talking about all bars red and the triangle flashing while riding in fairly benign conditions. That isn’t normal no matter how you spin it.
Not spinning anything. Just stating that the actual engine temp seems to be cooler than the coolant gauge indicates. Half way up would indicate real warm ( at least it would in my car experience ). 185 was shown as my engine temp, cool in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I am not concerned about halfway up the gauge. I am talking about all bars red and the triangle flashing while riding in fairly benign conditions. That isn’t normal no matter how you spin it.
Could it be that your definition of "benign conditions" differs from others? ...30 mph and climbing, 2-up, for an extended period isn't "benign to me.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #103 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Could it be that your definition of "benign conditions" differs from others? ...30 mph and climbing, 2-up, for an extended period isn't "benign" to me.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 PM

To some people, a bike that shows 10 bars and a flashing red triangle doesn't indicate overheating. Interesting.

To some people, a bike that veers for the left ditch when you remove your hands from the handlebars doesn't seem unreasonable. Interesting.

To some people, $28,000 2018 motorcycles with faulty fuel gauges isn't worth mentioning. Interesting.

I wonder why some BMW owners have such a low quality expectation?

Guys, the only way to make the next-generation K bike better is to get BMW to address these issues. And if owners deny these problems exist, why would BMW bother correcting it on a subsequent model???
Rebus likes this.
post #105 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
Not spinning anything. Just stating that the actual engine temp seems to be cooler than the coolant gauge indicates. Half way up would indicate real warm ( at least it would in my car experience ). 185 was shown as my engine temp, cool in my opinion.

Nobody is complaining a temp gauge being halfway up. 5 bars is normal operating temp, and 185 sounds perfect to me, and everyone else here I'm sure. Its when the flashing red triangle appears that things are overheated. And normal driving conditions shouldn't result in that. Period.
Voyager77 likes this.
post #106 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
To some people, a bike that shows 10 bars and a flashing red triangle doesn't indicate overheating. Interesting.

To some people, a bike that veers for the left ditch when you remove your hands from the handlebars doesn't seem unreasonable. Interesting.

To some people, $28,000 2018 motorcycles with faulty fuel gauges isn't worth mentioning. Interesting.

Guys, the only way to make the next-generation K bike better is to get BMW to address these issues. And if owners deny these problems exist, why would BMW bother correcting it on a subsequent model???
It isn't that they are not an issue, it is that so much else is so much better that the package is still way ahead of everything else and some realized that chasing absolute perfection is a fool's errand.
Prince and Scott Titensor like this.
post #107 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Nobody is complaining a temp gauge being halfway up. 5 bars is normal operating temp, and 185 sounds perfect to me, and everyone else here I'm sure. Its when the flashing red triangle appears that things are overheated. And normal driving conditions shouldn't result in that. Period.
Your simply not getting my point, not at all. Enough said.

post #108 of 170 Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:

Of course we should address issues, of course we should expect issues to be corrected.

The issue to me is degree. Saying the bike wants to ride into a ditch is a gross exaggeration. Many K1600 bikes ( mine included ) wander left when both hands are removed while riding. Would it be better for the bike to stay straight hands free? Yes. Would it be good to find the answer and eventually corrected? Yes would I have ever known this issue existed without this forum? No. I don't ride hands free and it doesn't do anything I consider negative while riding.

The fuel gauge issue is a gross exaggeration. It's not like it didn't work, the top bar when full didn't show. Am I happy it was updated? Yes, should it have been reported? Yes, it simply didn't make the bike bad.

Not discounting concern over the temp gauge, I'd prefer that the gauge never went red unless their was something really wrong, not simply riding slow in hot weather. Is this something that is causing engine failures? Not from what I've seen. Is it common for rides to end due to the red warning coming on? No.

Guess what I'm saying is that the K1600 is one heck of a great bike. Perfect? No. We should keep informing BMW of what should be addressed but in my opinion, overstating issues does not serve anyone.

Ment with all due respect

SSTwin and 1dragon like this.
post #109 of 170 Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 AM

Garage
If ‘overheating’ is a widespread design related issue we would have a lot more credible complaints. In the few cases that are discussed over and over again, some could be linked to incorrect procedures during repairs, some to dirt build up and a few others with no further indication of cause or circumstances.
As I said I had one minor incident on my 2014 during real adverse conditions, cleaned the crud on the radiator and all good for rest of the bikes life.
The two following K1600 with 26000 km and the latest one with 6000km have not shown any sign of ‘overheating’. We had an extreme long and hot summer with temps exceeding 40 C something like 105F and I was doing 2up mountain roads and nothing even in situations I would have expected something. There is a tendency on this forum to blow things out of proportion.case in point in the fuel gage ‘issue’. And the overheating comes in as a close second.
@Voyager77 , a rental bike is not a good reference. Do you know what done or not to the bike before you got it?
1dragon likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #110 of 170 Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Could it be that your definition of "benign conditions" differs from others? ...30 mph and climbing, 2-up, for an extended period isn't "benign to me.

Duane
How about riding on the level through Dublin in typical city traffic with OAT of 70 F? I had full bars and flashing light for two miles of typical stop light to stop light city riding. I consider that to be a normal mode of operation for a motor vehicle and have never driven or ridden another vehicle that would not do this without flashing warnings at me.

The 30 MPH climb did not cause any grief for the R1200RT. It ran at 7-8 bars all the way, just as one would expect. Warm due to the climb, but nothing out of the ordinary and no alarms. So, yes, I consider that benign for a well designed motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page