15 % Ethanol - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Garage
Used it once in my Lt. Five miles down the road, I thought my bike was going to blow up. I limped into another station which had no ethanol premium. Drained tank into bucket and gave it away. Filled up with the premium and all was good. Will not put ethanol in the K1600...PERIOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2 View Post

You're right about the importance of keeping Iowa's corn farmers happy. But remember, a lot of those Real American Farmers are paid by Archer Daniels Midland and Cargill, and they're the real constituency for farm (and ethanol) policy.
Not sure what you mean. I personally know a bunch of Iowa farmers and everyone of them makes their money by selling their corn, soybeans and livestock directly to market. They search the market rates daily to try and time the selling when the price is up. True, they do sell to coops and livestock buyers who sometimes are owned by the companies mentioned. But a lot of coops are owned by farmers themselves who do then sell to those companies. Is that what you mean? Somebody needs to buy the produce so it ends up in food products and feed. Very few farmers can or will sell directly to consumers.
post #13 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Garage
15% ethanol

I was on a trip and needed some gas in my LT. (Western Minnesota) Put a couple of gallons of this stuff in tank. Bad idea. About 5 miles down the road I thought my baby was going to blow up. Limped into another station which had NO ethanol Premium. Drained the other stuff out , put premium in and all was well again after it burned the bad stuff out in the fuel bar. Never will put that junk in the K1600.....EVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM

that's what I use all the time..good stuff except for the price

2013 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

In order to keep up with the mandated increases in use of ethanol we will see a 15% minimum content then a 20% content.

Ethanol, a product that can only be shipped in stainless steel tanks because it corrodes pipelines.

Ethanol: A Tragedy in 3 Acts

http://thoughtfulcambrians.org/docs/042706bwoped.pdf
SSTwin and Tanner like this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #16 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

A decade ago Congress created the current federal Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) to jump-start the alternative fuels marketplace. The goal was to spur the production of billions of gallons of cellulosic biofuels derived from perennial grasses, agricultural residues, and other non-food sources. The hope was that blending these biofuels with U.S. gasoline and diesel would significantly reduce harmful emissions and improve U.S. energy security. However, more than 10 years later, it is clear the RFS is hopelessly ineffective.

My organization, Taxpayers for Common Sense (TCS), has opposed the Renewable Fuel Standard since the beginning. The RFS distorts markets by picking winners relying on a system of direct and indirect subsidies primarily to corn ethanol. For nearly four decades, corn ethanol has received billions of dollars in government subsidies.

Instead of creating an on-ramp for non-food-based biofuels, the RFS did little more than provide further support to already heavily subsidized corn ethanol and more recently, soy biodiesel. That’s right, the large majority of the RFS mandate has been filled with first-generation, food-based biofuels — the opposite of its purported goals.

These first-generation biofuels may actually increase instead of decrease greenhouse gas emissions. A recent, congressionally mandated report on the RFS concluded that the expansion of corn and soybeans onto grasslands and wetlands since 2007 has also harmed our wildlife, land, air, water and soil. These negative impacts increase costs for consumers, utilities, fishermen, the poor and taxpayers.

Without action to reform the RFS, the situation will continue to get worse. Next year’s cellulosic biofuel volume is expected to meet just 4 percent of the 8.5-billion-gallon 2019 cellulosic biofuel mandate, according to the newly released renewable volume obligations while corn ethanol volumes are maxed out at 15 billion gallons.

My organization has worked alongside a broad range of stakeholders, including consumer, environmental, agricultural, food and commodities, motorcycle, fishing and boating interests to highlight the negative consequences and costs of corn ethanol subsidies since their inception four decades ago. The detrimental impacts of skyrocketing corn ethanol production since 2007 include higher food and feed costs as it is diverted to fuel, damage to small engines from higher ethanol use, and higher fuel costs.

On top of the dire impacts from corn ethanol, using palm oil instead of soybean oil for food to make up for the losses created by diverting soybean oil to biofuels could “in turn increase the lifecycle GHG emissions associated with these incremental volumes,” according to the Environmental Protection Agency. EPA elaborates: “There would also likely be market disruptions and increased burden associated with shifting feedstocks among the wide range of companies that are relying on them today…”

For these and many other reasons, TCS has joined a growing chorus of diverse interests calling on Congress to address the broken RFS mandate and stop picking winners and losers. While the corn ethanol industry promised that decades of subsidies (tax credits, farm bill bioenergy subsidies, ethanol blender pump subsidies, etc.) would lead to better biofuels, corn ethanol has instead proven to be an expensive bridge to nowhere. The sooner Congress realizes the RFS is a dead end, the better for all of us.

• Ryan Alexander is president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan budget watchdog that has served as an independent voice for the American taxpayer since 1995. Its mission is to ensure that taxpayer dollars are spent responsibly and that government operates within its means. Please follow @taxpayers.
capav8r and SSTwin like this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #17 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

15% and 20% is a reality. EPA has done their tests and concluded that 20% ethanol is fine for all older vehicles. (If you learned of how they tested, you would laugh.)

Do we blame manufacturers who say 10% maximum?

10% when it is plain as day that the higher blends are forthcoming?

Maybe we should just buy newer vehicles designed for the higher ethanol levels.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #18 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Not every state requires listing the ethanol content.

Not every distributor accurately mixes the stated ethanol content.

No additive will prevent the corrosion caused by ethanol.

There are additives that help with phase separation.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #19 of 39 Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM

Garage
Ethanol

I'm probably missing something but if ethanol is added to gasoline to help with emissions but you actually burn more fuel to go said distance, how is this helping the environment. If one really thinks about it, any exhaust will hurt something all the time. My daughter just bought an electric car. Great but how is the electricity produced? Me thinks that it comes from coal fired electricity producer.

What if we keep the same good gas as we had and make the cars get better mileage as I know we can, won't that be better?
post #20 of 39 Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandman View Post
I'm probably missing something but if ethanol is added to gasoline to help with emissions but you actually burn more fuel to go said distance, how is this helping the environment. If one really thinks about it, any exhaust will hurt something all the time. My daughter just bought an electric car. Great but how is the electricity produced? Me thinks that it comes from coal fired electricity producer.

What if we keep the same good gas as we had and make the cars get better mileage as I know we can, won't that be better?

Simple answer....$$$$$$$$$$ for Big Ag, Big Oil, and all the associated infrastructure, support, finance, lobbyists, etc., that have developed over the last 120 years of ICE power of "auto"motive devices. As always, it's ALWAYS about the money.

RL, thank you and the TCS group to which you belong. I was unaware of it, but will check it out and join if they promote common sense, market based solutions that benefit not just BIG money.

Steve
Northeast Florida
2012 KGT Vermillion Red, 2014 R1200GS LC, 2009 HD RK,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page