BMW K1600 Forum banner

GTL vs Grand America

23K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  rikracer99 
#1 ·
I have been considering a Grand America or a GTL. When I look at the GTL-E the passenger seat looks much higher than the GA. I think My wife would like the higher seat. I asked the dealer and he was puzzled by the question and did not have a GTL to compare. He said the GA was heads and shoulders better and the seat should not be a concern. We rode a GTL a while ago and liked it. The seat to me I would like to understand.

The GA does not have any rider accessible storage like my LT. I thought the GTL had a little storage but I cannot remember.

Do any of you have opinions or knowledge of these things?

Thanks so much,
John

#2 ·
I have been considering a Grand America or a GTL. When I look at the GTL-E the passenger seat looks much higher than the GA. I think My wife would like the higher seat. I asked the dealer and he was puzzled by the question and did not have a GTL to compare. He said the GA was heads and shoulders better and the seat should not be a concern. We rode a GTL a while ago and liked it. The seat to me I would like to understand.

The GA does not have any rider accessible storage like my LT. I thought the GTL had a little storage but I cannot remember.

Do any of you have opinions or knowledge of these things?

Thanks so much,

John
Find a different dealer. Considering that your wife rides with you I'd take her on a GTL and GA test ride, doesn't matter what your dealer wants to sell you, only matters what you and your wife thinks.

I could give my opinion but that doesn't matter.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
He told you that because he doesn't have what you want to try and he is just concerned about MONEY! I agree with Scott -Find another dealer and definitely try what you want before you buy anything. Sounds like the GTL or GTL E is in your future. All good bikes no matter which way you go but I'd make momma happy if it was me. Good luck on your search.

#5 · (Edited)
-Find another dealer and definitely try what you want before you buy anything.......
Dealer is an awful broad term, about every dealership I’ve been in had salesmen I wouldn’t deal with and salesmen I trusted. Same goes for service managers. As always: CAVEAT EMPTOR.

I’d have added more opinion but I see the OP has over 2 years as a board member, and an Avatar that indicates experience with riding and buying BMW’s ...... :grin:

Tom

#6 ·
My concern is the limited speed on the GA, the slower throttle response is fine, it's not an away from the lights kind of bike, and it helps in slow manoeuvres. The GTL is taller, so a bit harder at car park speeds, but out on the road you don't notice it. GAs in the UK are very hard to get a test on, none of my local dealers have them, so I've only been able to test the Bagger, which is the same size but has a higher speed limit which I didn't go near (120+), the GA is only around 100, which may be an issue for overtaking. I currently have a GTL-E, and it's great, but I was considering buy a new one, and wanted to have a GA for a day, but no one will play ball - the UK sucks sometimes.

James

#8 ·
The GTL does has some rider available storage on the both the left and right sides below your knees. They are small compartments that don't hold much. I store my key fob, garage door remote, tire gauge and a few other items in them. The right side storage bin has the electrical hook up for an iPod or phone. As far as the passenger seat being high my wife seems to like the fact that she can see better and with the windshield raised up a bit, wind is not an issue.

#12 ·
I owned a GTL for three years, and now a GA. The storage compartments on the GTL are a plus, as is the luggage being removable. (Even though the top case on the GA can be removed and made to look like a B model if that’s what you want) The taller seat is something that my wife didn’t like on the GTL. Being higher just makes her more subject to turbulence. Her visibility was hindered on either bike. (Verticality challenged) The speed limit has been a non issue for me. The floor boards have been great. The lower price of the GA is a big plus and the styling of the GA is the deciding factor for me.

But I agree with others that you need to get your wife on both to make a decision for the both of you.

Attachments

#13 ·
My dealer had both a GTL and GA in stock and I found the seating/posture position to be very different between the two bikes. In my case, it was immediately clear I would be more comfortable riding long distances 2-up on a GTL, which I bought. But from reading posts on this forum, it appears this choice varies from person to person depending on height, weight, age, flexibility and such. Regarding passenger seating height above the ground, it is pretty much identical to the 2008 1200RT that I rode for ten years, I measured both. Yes, you need to ride both bikes first. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
My wife and I did extended test rides on both GTL and GA. I liked them both about equally although for different reasons, but my wife liked the GTL better - she liked being able to see over my helmet and was generally more comfortable on the GTL.

Do a test ride on both before plunking down that much money.

Reactions: NeedforFieros
#17 ·
I know I made the right decision on the GA when I was flirted with at speed; a couple of ladies heading North thought I was improved on the GA. So.... all of the performance of the other K's (given a Bren tune), plus a choice of ride positions, plus a look that causes an instant chub. She is Grand.

#18 ·
Don't find myself "flirted with"...however, I was just thinking yesterday that I hardly ever go anywhere on my bike when I don't get some comments/looks/questions/ogling over the motorcycle. The GA is a fine looking machine, and it's rare enough to elicit lots of curiosity. Of course, compared to things like HD UC a GTL is pretty rare too.

#21 ·
My wife rides with me and we do 2 week long tours. We have the GTL and she LOVES it..... Lots of packing space (considering it is a motorcycle). She sits up just high enough to see over me WITHOUT getting slammed by wind (windshield does wonders). The GTL has all the creature comforts you wife would need for long or short rides. She calls it her "QUEEN SEAT".

I know having my wife comfortable makes her want to ride more.... As you can see in the picture, she is not frowning... she is smiling as we get ready to leave....

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
I know having my wife comfortable makes her want to ride more.... As you can see in the picture, she is not frowning... she is smiling as we get ready to leave....
You know you have a happy wife and a strong relationship when she still looks like that after being homeless while spending seven weeks on the bike and riding 16,000 miles. :grin:

Reactions: viper19692
#27 ·
Just looked at the Grand America and sat on it with a quick ride.

If your tall over I'm 6,1 my feet were folded backwards like on a sport bike but not as drastic.

The GTL is much more comfortable riding position for me, The GA is lower and I think the side bags have a nice amount of space but top is smaller.

To decide you really should ride them both.

#28 ·
What seat was on the BGA? I'm the same as you and when I went to test ride they had short seats only for the BGA, which almost turned me away from purchasing. I had them include the extra tall with the bike which is 2.5 inches higher and it made a big difference. I'm still installing peg lowering kit but at least the tall seat made it more manageable.

Sent from my LG V40 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.