Basecamp being discontinued - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I've always had my issues with Basecamp. It feels clunky to me. Not very intuitive. I've just struggled with it, and likely due to only using it on occasion and not regularly, frequently. That being said, as big a struggle as it's been, it's all I've known! It has worked well for me, just not easy or simple. I have NO idea where to turn next.

Garmin has its world headquarter here in a KC suburb, and I have used nothing but Garmin GPS products because of that and I have believed they are the best...correct or otherwise. I'll be keeping an eye on the solutions to which some of the heavy GPS users migrate. Wait, not users who are heavy, but users who rely heavily on the GPS! No offense to the portly intended. ;-)
The ADVrider forum has lots of 'heavy map' users and some in depth technical discussions on equipment, map technology, etc.. There are also specific technical/support sections there and employees from Furkot and Garmin have been known to hang out as well. Oh, and lots of BMW owners.
J-Luv likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfalkenstein View Post

I use Google Maps for initial route planning and investigating camping options.

Google My Maps is ok for short day trips, but the limitations, which are well documented in this article, preclude its use for multi-day, complex routes for long-distance touring when internet access cannot be relied upon.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
post #13 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Garage
Looks like the Explore Website only works with the InReach devices Garmin acquired with the Delorme acquisition.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
The explore website has been the default landing page for inreach devices for awhile. It uses a mixture of OpenStreetMap, google, and some vector based maps. At least for the inreach and Garmin traditional GPS devices it is not a road route planner, it is for hiking. Maybe that whole message was specific to basecamp and traditional (non-automobile based) GPS systems. It could be that you get additional tools on the site if you have an automotive GPS device but as far as I can tell, it is just a 'hiking' planner.

Pure Speculation;

Short version, it has become fairly straightforward to build competitive routing solutions, and the dedicated GPS device is for all intents and purposes dead in the market (market decline for 10 years straight). Garmin has to pick a new go to market plan around where it can bring real differentiation and its not by writing core mapping software anymore (or building devices but that's just IMHO, well that and their revenue report).

The value of the maps themselves has been commoditized for quite some time. You can get quality maps for free. Route planning is similarly commoditized to the point that with a few API calls you can get any number of systems to provide you with sophisticated routing information and other route specific data. Where Garmin and the others are having a hard time differentiating themselves is against competition that can just as easily integrate data from across systems (maps, routes, weather, traffic, crowd sourced, etc) primarily because there are companies focused purely on the separate niches of information (better at the individual parts) and gathering it all up can be done by anyone willing to pay. At some point Garmin is going to have to decide whether it is worth ongoing development of products like basecamp or to simply defer to Google (and others) for mapping/routing/other data systems, and concentrate on building the higher level, use case specific view of data from multiple sources. The explore page is just that, it uses multiple data sources (not Garmin) and creates device specific outcomes.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #15 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM

My read on this is that Basecamp is not being discontinued...only development is being discontinued. It appears Basecamp in it's current form will still be available.
BMWGuy likes this.

2007 R1150RS
2012 K1600GTL
9th Beemer...They Just Keep Getting Better
post #16 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmat View Post
My read on this is that Basecamp is not being discontinued...only development is being discontinued. It appears Basecamp in it's current form will still be available.

Yep. I read it the same way.

Joe

ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #17 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 PM

As long as the map updates will continue to be recognized by Basecamp and the computer operating systems will work with it, then we can probably use Basecamp indefinitely......

I use Furkot to lay out my route then export it to GPX and bring that GPX into Basecamp, recalculate, then send to my Nav.
BMWGuy likes this.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #18 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
I still use the unsupported MapSource.

I used the unsupported MapSource for a handful of years. Two years ago it started crashing too often to use as my primary route planning tool so I started to learn BaseCamp more and more. Last year I tried to use both MapSource and BaseCamp but the crashing with MapSource got so frequent it was no longer a viable option. I was hoping it was limited to one PC or one operating system but found the same trouble with both PC's with Windows 10 and the one I've held onto with Windows 7.

I still use MapSource to review routes, compare routes and sometimes modify or join routes but it stopped being reliable for creating routes.

I think I got at least three years our of MapSource after Garmin stopped supporting it. Maybe four. If Garmin does indeed stop supporting BaseCamp, hopefully we can get a handful of years out of it before it becomes unstable and unreliable.

When I was resisting BaseCamp and trying to find a better option I tried Tyre Travel, TyreToTravel EN -, and found it useful for a day trip but not good for multiple days or comparing route options. There was a couple of other options folks were talking about a couple of years ago but they just did not do what I wanted them to do for multiple day trip planning or comparing many different routes in one screen. Fingers are crossed BaseCamp last long enough for something else to come along that is better than what currently exist.
post #19 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
As long as it continues to work properly, which it does, I will continue to use BaseCamp.

Joe
Me too.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #20 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmat View Post
However, how does that affect map updates for current devices? Even if an updated map is available for a device, if the matching map is not available for BaseCamp (doesn't transfer from the device after it's updated), very bad things happen when you try to plan a route. I found this out recently after updating my device but not knowing that I have to separately update the maps in BC to match. I planned a long route for the wife and I from IL to NC and back. It randomly dropped multiple fuel points from my routes and we had a terrible time navigating. Between her motorcycle and mine, our max range was 150 miles on a tank. I had every fuel stop planned to accommodate that. We had to figure out fuel stops on the way instead. If no map updates for BC are available in the future, you will be either limited to the current map on your device or BC will quickly become effectively useless.

Last edited by vtx1800n1; 01-07-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page