Basecamp being discontinued - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Basecamp being discontinued

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...RB1DDl1JAWuEV8

Basecamp is a pretty quirky application but it is feature rich and has been getting the job done for me for the last several years. I have literally hundreds of tracks, imported GPX files, routes, POIs, etc - maybe thousands. I can export all of that into GPX files so maybe it's time to review the alternatives that are out there for basecamp.

What are you guys that are power users doing for planning, archiving, and managing your GPS guidance for your epic journeys?

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
post #3 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
Very upset to hear this news. I have used Basecamp on a Mac and on a PC for 10 years for planning and recording my motorcycle rides, planning foreign driving trips, and for planning back country hikes. In addition to the Nav V, I have Garmin Montana, GPSMap 64 for hiking, and a Garmin Nuvi loaded with Europe and other foreign country maps. I use BaseCamp with all of these devices.

I am very suspicious of a web based solution especially as Garmin says the web based solution will not support these functions only available on BaseCamp:

"There are also features currently only available in BaseCamp:
- Viewing maps on the Garmin device
- Auto road/trail routing
- Viewing a profile graph for routes and tracks
- Viewing detailed statistics about tracks"

Garmin's most recent update to BaseCamp, Ver 4.7, which was done to address some GDPR regulations, was seriously flawed (See:https://openmtbmap.org/updates/do-no...ecamp-v-4-7-0/ ). After installing I lost access to many of my installed Garmin maps on my PC so I had to revert to Ver 4.6.

I hope that Garmin will come up with a solution will effectively replace BaseCamp for planning and managing complex routes.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Garage
I use Furkot primarily, it too has it's quirks but it was easy enough to use and more importantly to train others to use so that we could work on and plan the same route. It also allows you to export/import GPX and export/import to the community of users. In the past year I have seen it grow substantially from just a few users in our area to many. From the bike, I can simply grab my phone and import any route I have in furkot directly into the phone over wifi or cellular. This allows me/us to make last minute changes and share with the group. Since we all use Scenic as our main GPS navigation app everyone is instantly updated with turn by turn instructions, etc..

For managing and archiving I have not found a good solution so my Furkot account online is full of maps but I also keep a local folder structure with copies of all of the GPX files.

Attached is a Furkot planning session screenshot, specifically the route import screen. The route in blue is one of our Sunday breakfast and lunch routes. The ones in gray are other routes in the area, the one in orange and the text in orange on the right a are a selected route someone else created that we are looking at adding.

Furkot has a lot of features I don't really use day to day such as hotel planning, gas planning, etc.. but do use them on bigger trips. Because everything is kept online I don't have to worry about bringing anything with me, I can log in anywhere, and with Scenic, I pre-download all of the area maps I need to the phone and can work offline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furkot Example.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	124112  

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM

If I read that Garmin webpage correctly, EXPLORE will be Garmin's (web based) replacement for Basecamp.

However, the link to EXPLORE appears to be broken (404 error).

EDIT: I found the right link to EXPLORE but it looks to be an app.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT

Last edited by WillH; 01-07-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I still use the unsupported MapSource.
bill1600, bobbybob, STRich and 2 others like this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #7 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM

I went to the site linked by Pitts and at the bottom of the page it says: "* BaseCamp development has been discontinued." That may be different than the fact that they are discontinuing BaseCamp. If RL is still using MapSource than there's hope that BaseCamp will be around for a while too Not sure how much fun it will be to go through the learning curve of their new Explore Website. If it's anything like the joys of learning BaseCamp...
amorley likes this.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #8 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

As long as it continues to work properly, which it does, I will continue to use BaseCamp.

Joe
Rider2, MWNahas and Snowboy like this.

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #9 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
I've always had my issues with Basecamp. It feels clunky to me. Not very intuitive. I've just struggled with it, and likely due to only using it on occasion and not regularly, frequently. That being said, as big a struggle as it's been, it's all I've known! It has worked well for me, just not easy or simple. I have NO idea where to turn next.

Garmin has its world headquarter here in a KC suburb, and I have used nothing but Garmin GPS products because of that and I have believed they are the best...correct or otherwise. I'll be keeping an eye on the solutions to which some of the heavy GPS users migrate. Wait, not users who are heavy, but users who rely heavily on the GPS! No offense to the portly intended. ;-)

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #10 of 72 Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM

I think this only applies to certain devices. Of you go to the explore website you cannot access unless you own specific devices. So while this may be the future I believe it's a bit down the road for general gps devices.

Also a web app isn't always a bad thing if executed properly. Being able to build routes on hotel computers or cheap and light Chromebooks whole on the road absent of Mac costs and Windows bloat isn't a bad thing.

Yeah needing internet is a pain, but in this day you can have internet in some form almost everywhere to get a route built if needed on the fly.

Web apps are the future, no doubt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
BMWGuy likes this.

Last edited by Marc11; 01-07-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page