BMW Motorrad 2018 sales - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Indian, the K1600s, maybe the new Goldwing, have really hit HD hard in an already declining market. As Rider59 said above, "...one day some of the magic just began to fade." I feel the same, the allure of HD just isn't there for me any longer. The K1600 will continue to pull sales away from air cooled touring bikes.
Rider59 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerGA View Post
Indian, the K1600s, maybe the new Goldwing, have really hit HD hard in an already declining market. As Rider59 said above, "...one day some of the magic just began to fade." I feel the same, the allure of HD just isn't there for me any longer. The K1600 will continue to pull sales away from air cooled touring bikes.
Same thing happened to me. 28 years on Harleys, now on a K1600B.

Part of the Harley allure is lost.

Harley is really in a tough spot. Traditional customers demand a 45 degree V-twin. Demand a specific look, feel and sound. Hard to build a competitive bike with those constrants.

In addition; Harley forced their dealers to invest millions into giant, fancy facilities. They need bikes that require thousands spent on them to keep the dealers in the black. Upgrading brand new 107 motors to 114 at $4,000 as one example. If Harley built a bike like the K1600 the dealers would go broke.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
post #13 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaces View Post
Nothing HD does is going to help their sales figures as long as they stick with that out of balance shaking V-twin. The millennials & Gen X kids aren't into it. Guys like most of us want a smooth running performance bike that handles well... That's why Harley is trying new stuff. They're panicked about their market share, as well they should be. The old guard Harley guys are dropping like flies. I know one that bought a Slingshot a year ago cause he didn't feel stable on 2 wheels anymore. I'm wondering when Harley-Davidson is gonna start selling golf carts.
I think there is a big future for converting heavy cruising bikes into trikes by this technology:

Tilting Motor Works - High-performance trike kit for your Harley® or Gold Wing

The converted bike still leans into turns and drives pretty much like a bike, but locks the tilting mechanism and makes the bike stay upright when at parking lot speed and stops. I'm hoping they make a kit for the K1600 before I'm too feeble to hold mine up.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Garage
So sad
post #15 of 24 Old 01-27-2019, 02:13 AM

Anyone know exactly how many GA’s were sold in the US in 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 24 Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 AM

I know I helped, bought my B in '18. Ex Honda rider, the 1600 package is just that good! Kudos to BMW job well done! BMW has had the best out there for a while, it's just taken us slow guys a while to figure that out!

Matt S.
2018 K1600B- black beauty
2007 ST1300- silver bullet
1981 CB900C- blue bomb
post #17 of 24 Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Garage
New BGA here. 1st BMW. Was not even thinking about the bike as the wife was wanting the new goldwing or an Indian. I simply couldn't do the Indian as I don't like the cruiser look. Couldn't do the Goldwing, cause well in my mind they are for "older" people. . She demanded better comfort and at the last minute someone recommended the BGA. 1st look and test drive I was sold. Live near the mountains so this gives me a bike that's fun to ride here, and comfortable for her on long hauls....

Sent from my LG V40 using Tapatalk

2018 K1600 Grand America
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2003 Honda ST1300- Gone
Numerous KTM Dirtbikes
post #18 of 24 Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
Yep, did my part to help also. Bought a 2018 GA before it hit the showroom floor last February. Also got the Brentuning . What an amazing bike. I also upgraded the speakers. This is by far the best Beemer I have ever owned and I've had about 20 of them. BMW did it right despite the many naysayers.
lone-rider and Scott Titensor like this.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-28-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete4141 View Post
Anyone know exactly how many GA’s were sold in the US in 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would love seeing a breakdown by model.

My guess is around 2000 B and GA models in the USA. Pretty small number.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
Would love seeing a breakdown by model.

My guess is around 2000 B and GA models in the USA. Pretty small number.

Eurocycles of Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Daytona) got 30 of the "leftover" new 18's in October. I bought one. When I checked with them 60 days later they had sold all 30. Not a small number for them.

Tom
Topsarge and Pete4141 like this.

Last edited by TPadden; 01-28-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page