BMW K1600 Forum banner

BMW Motorrad 2018 sales

6K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Golfrider 
#1 ·
Looks like BMW did well in 2018. Sales for the K1600 line rose 25 percent over 2017 with the B/GA line leading the way.

This is significant considering how soft motorcycle sales are in the USA. Harley sales dropped double digit.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/434126/

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Bought 3 of them since 2014. Did my fair share. I wait for some major upgrade before I buy again.

Reactions: amorley and Rider59
#4 · (Edited)
Good on BMW - holding steady with a slight increase in a down market didn't come as a surprise to me but still glad to see it. It will be very interesting to some of us watching how HD responds to these changes in the marketplace, with them having to shift their focus and product significantly. Right now they're taking a hit.
Case in point, I rode HD touring for years, purchasing new machines, had good rides and above average reliability. Really no serious complaints but one day some of the magic just began to fade. One by-chance test ride on a 2018 GA and I was hooked. Easy trade and no looking back. Just prior to the final BMW deal, I got serious with my HD sales guy, and would have been another $3K additional (over the GA trade price) to move into a new '18 HD that looked very close to my '15. Yes, new M8 motor but the jury is still out on that as well. Obviously I didn't bite.
Still love the product and heritage but may never be back. Becoming obvious the B/GA/Etc has taken a number of sales away from HD.
I digress and don't want to turn this into an HD thread, sorry. I'm pleased the new brand I now ride is doing reasonably well. Kudos BMW !

#5 ·
Good on BMW - holding steady with a slight increase in a down market didn't come as a surprise to me but still glad to see it. It will be very interesting to some of us watching how HD responds to these changes in the marketplace, with them having to shift their focus and product significantly. Right now they're taking a hit.
Case in point, I rode HD touring for years, purchasing new machines, had good rides and above average reliability. Really no serious complaints but one day some of the magic just began to fade. One by-chance test ride on a 2018 GA and I was hooked. Easy trade and no looking back. Just prior to the deal, I got serious with my HD sales guy, and would have been another $3K additional (over the GA trade price) to move into a new '18 HD that looked very close to my '15. Yes, new M8 motor but the jury is still out on that as well. Obviously I didn't bite.
Still love the product and heritage but may never be back. Becoming obvious the B/GA/Etc has taken a number of sales away from HD.
I digress and don't want to turn this into an HD thread, sorry. I'm pleased the new brand I now ride is doing reasonably well. Kudos BMW !
It's new BMW K owners like you that drove the sales increase.

#9 ·
Nothing HD does is going to help their sales figures as long as they stick with that out of balance shaking V-twin. The millennials & Gen X kids aren't into it. Guys like most of us want a smooth running performance bike that handles well... That's why Harley is trying new stuff. They're panicked about their market share, as well they should be. The old guard Harley guys are dropping like flies. I know one that bought a Slingshot a year ago cause he didn't feel stable on 2 wheels anymore. I'm wondering when Harley-Davidson is gonna start selling golf carts.

Reactions: mkrok
#11 ·
Indian, the K1600s, maybe the new Goldwing, have really hit HD hard in an already declining market. As Rider59 said above, "...one day some of the magic just began to fade." I feel the same, the allure of HD just isn't there for me any longer. The K1600 will continue to pull sales away from air cooled touring bikes.

#12 ·
Same thing happened to me. 28 years on Harleys, now on a K1600B.

Part of the Harley allure is lost.

Harley is really in a tough spot. Traditional customers demand a 45 degree V-twin. Demand a specific look, feel and sound. Hard to build a competitive bike with those constrants.

In addition; Harley forced their dealers to invest millions into giant, fancy facilities. They need bikes that require thousands spent on them to keep the dealers in the black. Upgrading brand new 107 motors to 114 at $4,000 as one example. If Harley built a bike like the K1600 the dealers would go broke.

#16 ·
I know I helped, bought my B in '18. Ex Honda rider, the 1600 package is just that good! Kudos to BMW job well done! BMW has had the best out there for a while, it's just taken us slow guys a while to figure that out!

#17 ·
New BGA here. 1st BMW. Was not even thinking about the bike as the wife was wanting the new goldwing or an Indian. I simply couldn't do the Indian as I don't like the cruiser look. Couldn't do the Goldwing, cause well in my mind they are for "older" people. [emoji16]. She demanded better comfort and at the last minute someone recommended the BGA. 1st look and test drive I was sold. Live near the mountains so this gives me a bike that's fun to ride here, and comfortable for her on long hauls....

Sent from my LG V40 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.