BMW K1600 Forum banner

Exceeding the 2up weight limit

13K views 60 replies 32 participants last post by  Volfy 
#1 ·
According to the manual the max payload for the GTL is 463 lbs. that would mean that if I carried my wife as a passenger we would be over the weight limit. How many of you that ride 2up are exceeding the stated max payload?

#37 ·
That is where the discussion moves into darkside and double darkside, and can get quite heated..

#40 ·
That is the problem. I’ve been using that as an excuse but I’ve started feeling bad about it and decided to do a little more research. But for now I’m sticking to my story that it is BMW’s fault that she can’t ride with me :hide:

#39 ·
Your best option for running the K bike heavy is to have custom built Wilber shocks installed. Sure, you can set the ESA on 2-up when riding solo and get by. But you're negating the other ESA options. Going to car tires will increase the tire load capacity but will do nothing to improve the ride characteristics; car tires adversely effect the handling.

Duane

#43 ·
I just picked up BGA I was coming from a Suzuki bandit. The BGA shows maximum payload of 432lbs and my bandit is a max payload of 481lbs. The bandit is a sport touring bike more towards the sport then touring. But the BGA is significantly larger and is a touring bike. I just can't understand the payload being that low on the BGA. Doesn't make sense. We are over limit without luggage on the BGA.

Attachments

#45 ·
I figure the difference also factors in the weight of the bike itself somehow. I have noticed a number of the bigger bikes have reduced payloads. Someone back a few posts mentioned RTs having higher payloads, which I noticed when doing my research before buying my GTL. The RT almost got the nod instead, but the engine is definitely more up to the task on my K16 for 2 up.

We went to see the GP in Austin a couple weeks ago and then rode through the hill country that Monday afterwards on the way to West Texas. We drug the centerstand a couple times in some deep left handers but nothing major. We are a bit "high" on the load rating with all of our luggage. The rear could have used another inch or two of clearance I suppose.

#44 ·
"Welp, I don't expect she'll ever make an appearance here, so I'll admit that my wife and I are each a bit fluffy, and together we equal the load limit, pretty much to the pound, without any luggage."

So darn funny!

The "don't expect she'll ever..." comment. We love our wives and their "delicate" sensibilities - lol

#46 ·
Last year two up riding on the 1600GT, with full luggage along a motorway in France and all the lights on the dash suddenly started flashing.
Pulling over, the tyre was totally deflated and found approximately a 15mm split in the base of the tyre tread groove.

Tyre failure, maybe. Food for thought on overloading eh!

Ride safe.

#59 ·
Exceeding the gvw of any vehicle is dangerous. Forget about handling, clearance and tire loads, that’s kids stuff. The bike has design limits from wheels and bearings through to the frame. Messing with he suspension etc does not alleviate that, but only makes it more possible for you to continue until something serious happens. GL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.