Items replace so far:

5 x Ignition coils - 3 out of warranty
2 x Water pumps
1 x Hooter
1 x Sprag clutch - out of warranty
1 x Headlamp bulb - out of warranty
1 x Wonder wheel - out of warranty
1 x Radiator cap - out of warranty

.... and now, when powering on the bike - the gauge needles make a :grrrrrt: noise winding "up" & "down"..
Seems as if either a gear, cog is working loose, or a drop lubrication is needed.

Despair written allllll over my face... to get to the speedo module..... and then... to open the speedo unit to check this problem....(if at all possible)...think I'll just ride till the speedo module finally calls it a day...

ONE day all my issues will be resolved....

So - has anybody ever had a look into servicing the speedo module?

R1100 RT 2000 - 206,000 Km
"Comfortably Numb"
K1600 GTL 2013 - 60,000 (chasing 206,000...!)
"Comfortably Numb II"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 03:22 AM

Garage
At a rough guess, they are designed to be tamper proof.

Rush with hush, (and clunks).
post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Just an off the wall question but how did you know the radiator cap was bad?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
Headlamp bulb is a DIY for most, just remove the handlebars.

As for the pressure cap, how far between coil replacement and cap failure
K16guy likes this.

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 11:53 AM

I know this doesn't answer your question, but... why not just ignore the analog speedo?

AFAIAC, that big ol' analog speedometer is about as useless as these things get. the number markings are too small to read (mine's '14 GT) at a quick glance... at least for my eyes. Maxing out at 170 mph?! Really? I know lots of K16 riders like to brag about personal top speed records and complain about ECU restrictions. Personally, I don't much care to venture anywhere close to 170mph. That is just a bunch of wasted real estate on the speedo dial and makes the range of speed I do ride wayyy too cramped together.

I've set my dash to display the digital speedo while I ride. Yeah that cuts out the radio, but that's another useless piece of equipment I don't ever use on the K16.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #6 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 03:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post

I've set my dash to display the digital speedo while I ride. Yeah that cuts out the radio, but that's another useless piece of equipment I don't ever use on the K16.

How do you do that? I have a 2012 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

@Marc11 & Mole999

Fortunately I am well experienced with the "plumbing" of the coolant & radiator system - having replaced all 5 Ignition coils myself.

I did a 600 Km trip, and parking at one 'view point', I noticed a small puddle of +/- 5 cm in diameter, developed under the bike. The outside fairing area of the right "flooter light" had the tell-tale sticky water traces of anti-freeze. Anti-freeze doesn't evaporate as quickly as water...so lots of tell-tales.

I did not refill, top-up the reservoir..... and completed the last 100 Km "as is".... no more water puddles and the temp gauge was 'dead center' all the way!

Still not having topped-up, I did the return 600 Km trip with out a hitch. Temp gauge perfect!

Once I got home - a serious trickle of water ran out from the lower right fairing... I'd guess a full cup... as soon as I switched the motor off. I assume no airflow, water pump to cool the water = pressure build up...

I realized it could only be the radiator cap; were it a hose / pipe that 'popped', the internal water pressure would have;
1. Drained the entire engine, which holds a good few liters.... +/- 5 L(?), in a matter of seconds
2. Temp gauge display would have lit up like a Christmas tree - with plenty warnings *which it never did*!
(Those who haven't bled their water systems properly will know *exactly* what I am talking about - the Xmas tree display!! )

Good to know; it seems although the cap failed, there was still sufficient coolant remaining inside the radiator/engine, to cool the engine....

Final analysis : Radiator cap not withholding (capping) extreme temp & pressure build-up... opening and venting up into the reservoir bottle, which has a rubber "teat" with a hole in it - and expelling radiator fluid.

(New cap ~ $35 expense.)

Mileage : 76,000 Km. Oh man - these ignition coils: last to fail was at about 68,000 km. (Fortunately BMW Coils have a 2 year warranty on them, but still, to replace them : schlep of note!)

Refilled with anti-freeze mix and now, 5 weeks on : all is good!
K16guy likes this.

R1100 RT 2000 - 206,000 Km
"Comfortably Numb"
K1600 GTL 2013 - 60,000 (chasing 206,000...!)
"Comfortably Numb II"
post #8 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks. Great info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurockstar View Post
How do you do that? I have a 2012 GT
You first turn off the audio system (button on left fairing). The speedometer displays by default whenever you are not actively scrolling through menu selections.

2014 K1600GT Sport

Last edited by Volfy; 04-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot Burke View Post
@Marc11 & Mole999

Fortunately I am well experienced with the "plumbing" of the coolant & radiator system - having replaced all 5 Ignition coils myself.

I did a 600 Km trip, and parking at one 'view point', I noticed a small puddle of +/- 5 cm in diameter, developed under the bike. The outside fairing area of the right "flooter light" had the tell-tale sticky water traces of anti-freeze. Anti-freeze doesn't evaporate as quickly as water...so lots of tell-tales.

I did not refill, top-up the reservoir..... and completed the last 100 Km "as is".... no more water puddles and the temp gauge was 'dead center' all the way!

Still not having topped-up, I did the return 600 Km trip with out a hitch. Temp gauge perfect!

Once I got home - a serious trickle of water ran out from the lower right fairing... I'd guess a full cup... as soon as I switched the motor off. I assume no airflow, water pump to cool the water = pressure build up...

I realized it could only be the radiator cap; were it a hose / pipe that 'popped', the internal water pressure would have;
1. Drained the entire engine, which holds a good few liters.... +/- 5 L(?), in a matter of seconds
2. Temp gauge display would have lit up like a Christmas tree - with plenty warnings *which it never did*!
(Those who haven't bled their water systems properly will know *exactly* what I am talking about - the Xmas tree display!! )

Good to know; it seems although the cap failed, there was still sufficient coolant remaining inside the radiator/engine, to cool the engine....

Final analysis : Radiator cap not withholding (capping) extreme temp & pressure build-up... opening and venting up into the reservoir bottle, which has a rubber "teat" with a hole in it - and expelling radiator fluid.

(New cap ~ $35 expense.)

Mileage : 76,000 Km. Oh man - these ignition coils: last to fail was at about 68,000 km. (Fortunately BMW Coils have a 2 year warranty on them, but still, to replace them : schlep of note!)

Refilled with anti-freeze mix and now, 5 weeks on : all is good!
Coil warranty is news to me, is that a warranty on the part by the manufacturer or the dealer? Did the dealer do the service on it?
I just bought my own direct and installed them, every place I looked it was **** near robbery to buy from or service cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page