Comms and TTD, and Sena update - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Id shoot myself if I had to connect to 12 other bikes with a hot mike!

Duane
And you wouldn't even hear the gunshot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Duane

Let's not test that. With my luck you'd hit me by accident.

Gunnert and dobervol like this.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Duane

That is a downside to mesh connections. One can no longer sing in their helmet without sharing their talent or lack of with the rest of the crew. All coughs, sneezes and belches are heard by all. At first this was a bit odd and I think if we had the ability to switch the hot mic off without turning off the ability to hear the intercom like you can with push to talk and voice activation we would have liked that option.

Just like I was skeptical mesh would work and work well, I was skeptical about using a hot mic. In many ways, it made things even better. It always on, always clear and always instant much more than what we dealt with for years with Push to Talk and efforts to wake up the mic. Not that those things were hard with a 2 way radio, it is just the hot mic is so easy and instant. In big groups we were always wondering if we were heard or not with a 2 way radio because only one could talk at a time. And because VOX sometimes worked better than others we were in constant loops of wondering if we were heard or not even when we tried to go all Smokey and the Bandit with our copy and 10-4 talk to help confirm we were heard.

The open mic feels very much like taking a road trip in a car or if you are with friends on your patio. You are not limited to one person talking, waiting for the channel to clear and hoping only one person talks next like you need to do with a 2 way radio.

As always, to each their own but I was solidly in the 2 way radio camp for a long time. For an event like TTD Im not sure mesh is the best option due to group sizes, Cardo and Sena not playing nice together and potential size of groups but as this technology continues to evolve maybe in the future it will be easier to integrate other brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
Thanks @TarkusNY , I've packed my cable and sent CHRIP link!

For anyone interested, here is the GMRS radio I'm using. it works with the Sena Kenwood 2pin cable that connects to SR10. There is a battery eliminator available too, should you be interested. I've only proven this to work with my Baofeng radio and whichever model you choose, make sure you buy from "Baofeng Tech" (lots of clones)

For any takers, with Tarkus's help, I'll have the following two configs ready (minor updates may be possible, including for our Canadian friends who aren't supposed to use 2 GMRS freq above the border)

Option1, the K16 frequencies mentioned above, nothing else. channel 1 = channel 1 per RL's chart

Option2
* channels 1-22 are GMRS/FRS standard.
* channels 31-45 are Weather Band and MURS
* channels 61-76 are K1600 forum frequencies. In this model, when someone on the forum says tune to channel 11... I add 60 and tune to channel 71.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.24.14 AM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	127032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.23.07 AM.png
Views:	13
Size:	822.0 KB
ID:	127034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.20.23 AM.png
Views:	13
Size:	737.6 KB
ID:	127036  
Chop96 likes this.

Justin / 2015 K1600GT

Last edited by 6xGrins; 04-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 12:12 PM

Adam from Rocketmoto was a friend of this forum for quite some time. It appears he has gone from a guy with a full time job and a side business which dealt with motorcycle communications and accessories to a guy with a full time motorcycle communication and accessories store and a side job and for the past few years may have gone back to a full time job and a side business. His company website has been down for a while but his Facebook presence has remained all along.

Now that 2 way radio's have been out of the loop for a few years there are not as many good resources out there for folks who need a little help trying to figure out how to connect and pair 2 way radios into Bluetooth communication systems. For folks that feel proficient enough in this area I'm sure you'll get by with a little help from our friends on this forum.

For folks who are not as confident they can pull it off on their own and want some help securing the proper parts to tie things together and with programming Adam at Rocketmoto may still be a good resource for parts and knowledge. https://www.facebook.com/rocketmoto. Being essentially a one person shop are times he is not as diligent about following up as I would have liked but he is very knowledgeable, has lots of parts for getting 2 way radios to work with Bluetooth, has the ability to make up custom connectors and can program radios to talk to each other.
dobervol likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xGrins View Post
For anyone interested, here is the GMRS radio I'm using. it works with the Sena Kenwood 2pin cable that connects to SR10. There is a battery eliminator available too, should you be interested.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a battey eliminator?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al

K1600GTL
K1300GT
post #17 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a battey eliminator?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All good. Replaces battery with shell same size as battery but with cig lighter/hard wire leads. Allows radio to be powered by bike. But eliminates battery so to use will require bike power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dobervol likes this.

Justin / 2015 K1600GT
post #18 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM

Garage
Is there a common GMRS channel that the ride leaders will be using?

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #19 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 PM

I use Channel 11 on the presets recommended by RL Freq post.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #20 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbird66 View Post
Most of us have our radios programmed using RL Lemke's chart, with 462.5500 as the comm channel. Here's a link to some GMRS discussions. If you get a GMRS radio, get one that can transmit at least 3 watts. And 6xGrins is correct, Sena SR10 + radio-specific cable is the best way to connect your radio and BT headset.

If you get a GMRS radio, do NOT get a blade antenna!
I just want to thank all of you guys for information like this for newbys like myself. I won't be there this year, but want to be ready to do it up right in 2020 (I do NOT want to go without being able to be comfortable in the "spirited" group, and while neither the road nor sporty riding is new to me, this motorcycle is new to me, is my heaviest ever by over 100 lb., and I want more mountain-twisty familiarity with the bike before going).

Speaking only for myself, I can do tech, but it takes me more time to learn than most, and sometimes I need people to speak to me ve-ry slow-ly and allow me practice and then follow-up questions. Even if I'm a year away, I'd rather have it right when I get there, instead of running around like an idiot begging for help 5 min. before heading down the mountain.
Qbird66 likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page