Ear plugs - Page 6 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 07:23 AM

I'm in the minority here apparently: I prefer the cheapie 3m foam plugs (which I always wear - reduces fatigue let alone preserves hearing) and nestle the speakers in my helmet. Everything else I've tried irritates me after a while. For my confirmation bias I present 1/2 the MotoGP paddock who also wear foam plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 AM

I have tried many different types of ear plugs.... Custom made by an audiologist to off the shelf, custom from at bike events, semi hard reusable to the soft foam and by far, for me, the most comfortable are the disposable foam. I use an assortment of disposable ones but still, after more than a few hours they irritate my ears. I wear ear plugs for skydiving, airplane transportation, SCUBA and also on my motorcycle.

I also have the type of hearing aid that fit over my ears and has a tiny insert that goes inside, but they are very comfortable ! I don't wear the hearing aids with the ear plugs...Seems like it would be great if the hearing aids had noise cancelling built in to them as they do have Bluetooth.... Maybe some day in the future..

By the way, after wearing my hearing aids, I do not notice my tinnitus in my left ear, that was caused by a baratram almost 40 years ago from diving..

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #53 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Once you get good technique with installing the cheap foam ear plugs properly, they're about the best passive noise attenuation you can use. They work great if you don't need audio for intercom, music, phone, etc. If you like audio, you'll always be disappointed with trying to blast that through those foam plugs.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 04:05 PM

I wear Howard Leight (now owned by Honeywell) Max foam ear plugs almost exclusively. They are a bit smaller and fit my ear canal much better than other foam ear plugs.

I do listen to radio and podcast through them. With my Uclear bluetooth speakers turned up to MAX volume, the frequency response actually sounds quite natural, at least for talk/commentary, which is pretty much all I listen to on the bike. On a well isolated bike like the K1600, I hear the audio just fine at highway speeds. On my VFR1200F, it's good up to about 80mph, above which wind noise makes it difficult.

In any case, BT audio over foam plugs works well enough for my purpose. I much prefer the freedom of NO cords and NO mic boom. And -33dB attenuation. That I'm not willing to compromise.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #55 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 PM

I have tried so many it is hard to count, including custom molded ones. The ones below are by far the best I have tried. They are very soft, very comfortable and offer significant noise reduction. The only drawback is I really can't hear anyone talking without taking off my helmet and pulling one out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 BMW R1250GS
2016 BMW S1000XR
post #56 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I use an assortment of disposable ones but still, after more than a few hours they irritate my ears.
Have you tried coating the inside of your ear canals with Neosporin? My ears would get very painful after a few hours of wearing earbuds and after a full day of riding, my ears would be full of crusty scabs the next day. After I started using a small dab of Neosporin applied with a cotton-tipped applicator right before inserting the buds, no more pain and no more crusty scabs.

DanDiver likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #57 of 75 Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Dollar for dollar Sensaphonics are the worst choice in ear buds. I know of 3 forum members, self included, that 'drank the cool-aid' and wasted $750. 18 months later failure and Sensaphonics wanted $300 to repair. Sensaphonics stated cause of failure, excessive ear oil, was/is total bull$hit.

Duane

Guess Iíve been the lucky one who has never had a lick of problems with my sensaphonics - going on 10 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 K1600GT
1979 Honda CX500 custom build
Past BMW's: '18 K1600B, '14 BMW R1200RT,'12 BWM K1600 GTL,'09 BMW R1200R,'09 BMW K1200 LT,'03 BMW K1200 LT
post #58 of 75 Old 11-05-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
Guess Iíve been the lucky one who has never had a lick of problems with my sensaphonics - going on 10 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I've been using them for about 7 years and they work great for me. About 99% of the time, I'm only using them for intercom audio but the sound quality is great for music as well.

I always carry a small tube of Neosporin +Pain with me and put a very light coat on them before using while being very careful to not get any ointment in the holes.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
post #59 of 75 Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
Have you tried coating the inside of your ear canals with Neosporin? My ears would get very painful after a few hours of wearing earbuds and after a full day of riding, my ears would be full of crusty scabs the next day. After I started using a small dab of Neosporin applied with a cotton-tipped applicator right before inserting the buds, no more pain and no more crusty scabs.

I think that you suggested this a while back and I do use it for the swimming earplugs several times a week. I'll give it a try when I'm on the bike and see if it helps. Thanks !

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #60 of 75 Old 11-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
I just bought a pair of air pod pros and they fit nicely under a Shoei Neotec II. Didn't have time to go for a long ride, just around the block and they're awesome. I paired them to my phone and ran the XM app on my phone. Still kind of dodgy when pairing to the audio system on the K1600. Have heard others say that it's hit or miss, generally miss, when trying to get bike XM audio via bluetooth. Too bad - BMW could stand for some improvement in this area. I did pair them with the Nav and paired the phone with the Nav and the audio was 10,000x better than XM. Of course I really won't be able to take/receive calls on the bike as you have to touch the air pod in order to answer a call. I did try to pair the air pod to the nav system and the phone - with the air pod to the nav and then the phone to the nav - couldn't get it to work.

Ah, no worries, more concerned about music than I am phone calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page