The Long Distance Touring - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

The Long Distance Touring

A friend of mine (known here as GT'er) posted this on the RT forum. I found it interesting.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1909143

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM

I like CaptJDavis's description of the 3 category of LD riders. I know a guy, who is undeniably a "Fame Rider". He's currently on a 20,000 mile ride from Singapore to London via basically the Silk Road.

Anyhow, IMO CaptJDavis missed a few other smaller categories or touring riders.

One of them is kind of a mix between Road Rider and Destination Rider, where the destinations are distance twisties, and the road in between are something maybe to half-way enjoy before the destination. Realistically, if my driveway drains into Mulholland Drive or US Route 129, I wouldn't even bother owning a touring bike. I'd keep a Triumph Daytona R and that's all I would need. Unfortunately, where I live there are hardly any good motorcycle roads within a day's ride, and the really good twisties are at least a couple of long superslabbing days away, so a sport touring motorcycle becomes a necessary compromise. Obviously, the more "touring" it is, the duller the blade becomes when it comes time to the slice and dice. Instead of "all day comfortable", I prefer bikes that are "all day tolerable", just to keep enough sharpness for destination canyon carving. The long interstate droning would be rather pointless, if there isn't some epic turn and burn to be had at the end of it. That's just me.

2014 K1600GT Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page