#1 Issue for the K1600 line - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
#1 Issue for the K1600 line

Hope BMW is reading this forum.

During my past weeks 2000 mile ride i had a lotta folks look at my K1600B, not one had a clue what it was. This includes guys with motorcycles.

They all loved how the bike looked. They were surprised BMW made such a big bike, no one knew BMW had a 6cyl in a motorcycle.

Bottom line, if BMW really wanted to sell more K1600 bikes they need to market them. Explain the features and benefits. Every time i explained the bike to a motorcycle enthusiast they really became interested. They loved it. This included some Harley riders.

BMW won't even make a brochure for the bike. Sometimes i wonder why they don't do more?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
jryan19 and K16guy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 AM

Garage
Don't know how different 2019 model is but 2018 brochure can be found here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/_common/...PI_EAC_web.pdf
Stewart Williams likes this.

2015 R1200RT, Pirelli Angel GT II (A), Motul 5100 10W40, Mahle OC 306, V-Stream Z2463
post #3 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
Hope BMW is reading this forum.

During my past weeks 2000 mile ride i had a lotta folks look at my K1600B, not one had a clue what it was. This includes guys with motorcycles.

They all loved how the bike looked. They were surprised BMW made such a big bike, no one knew BMW had a 6cyl in a motorcycle.

Bottom line, if BMW really wanted to sell more K1600 bikes they need to market them. Explain the features and benefits. Every time i explained the bike to a motorcycle enthusiast they really became interested. They loved it. This included some Harley riders.

BMW won't even make a brochure for the bike. Sometimes i wonder why they don't do more?

Are any of the motorcycle companies good at marketing (HD aside..).

I agree on their lack of marketing. It isn't that they don't spend money on marketing but they have never been a real marketing company. They are a company aligned to the enthusiast. Many have argued that they would rather BMW spend the money some other way. I would say that there is some minimum that you need to continuously invest into marketing simply because in the world of high quality, low volume manufacturing it will become increasingly more difficult to stand out as a brand. Brand is everything these days and long term viability is about creating brand value which at the end of the day comes down to marketing.

We need look no further than the world of motorcycles where HD takes 1960s technology and successfully markets it to a very broad audience of folks spending 2019 dollars. Conversely you have BMW who has at least 2000's technology and fails to build a value proposition on it that the masses can relate to even though they are far better quality/value/experience. I am not saying that BMW should go on a spending spree but WTH, spend a little with the right agency and get at minimum a bit more broadly noticed.
In2Deep likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM

I guess the k16 is only for the elite lol I am so far from elite it is sad but love my GT so I’ll pretend. Ooo club ride today up in to western mass walk-in the dog then I’m gone yippee !
K16guy likes this.
post #5 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
As recently as 10 years ago I encontered many people who insisted BMW doesn't make motorcycles and on a few occasions I was accused of faking it by pasting roundels on a "Honda or something".

We've come a long way, Baby.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #6 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Garage
BMW has created movie short like videos for web consumption over the last few years. The ones Iíve seen are high quality productions centered either on the 2 up touring with typical mature well to do couple on European adventure, and hipsters on R9Ts tearing up city and desert landscapes. Both promoting a lifestyle and not their product directly. There may have been a few GSA off road videos as well, but not my thing so I didnít pay as close attention. But still, that was the rugged male camaraderie weekend adventure lifestyle. To me, the engineering and design sells. The actual product. But Iím an enthusiast. Perhaps they are marketing these to wanna-be enthusiasts. I assume it is such a niche market that it would be hard to know to where to direct the funds to reach a potential buyer/audience.
dobervol likes this.

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #7 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 12:50 PM
ADC

Garage
I say "let sleeping dogs lay"!! if BMW decided to market the bikes more aggressively, then guess who pays for that marketing cost??....and don't think that if the marketing works and sales increase significantly that the manufacturer would pass along cost savings based on volume production. Selfishly, I like the idea of walking into a BMW M/C store knowing that every GTL or Bagger is not flying out the door. Coming from 30 years of owning Harleys, I can speak from experience as to how success correlates with cost. Of course, from an ego perspective, yes I would like to see hundreds of BMW's riding Pacific Coast Highway on a sunny weekend vs Harleys, but I'm ok just sharing our little secret with good friends only
nigelhobbes likes this.
post #8 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC View Post
I say "let sleeping dogs lay"!! if BMW decided to market the bikes more aggressively, then guess who pays for that marketing cost??....and don't think that if the marketing works and sales increase significantly that the manufacturer would pass along cost savings based on volume production. Selfishly, I like the idea of walking into a BMW M/C store knowing that every GTL or Bagger is not flying out the door. Coming from 30 years of owning Harleys, I can speak from experience as to how success correlates with cost. Of course, from an ego perspective, yes I would like to see hundreds of BMW's riding Pacific Coast Highway on a sunny weekend vs Harleys, but I'm ok just sharing our little secret with good friends only
As a long term Harley rider i can completly concur with this post. On reflection, Harley changed in so many ways when they became big, especially at the dealer level that i disliked. My local BMW motorcycle dealer feels like a motorcycle dealership. From the sales process to parts and service they have been great.

post #9 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM

I'm going to go with the theory that BMW knows what's best for BMW. Stay focused on superior products, R&D and manufacturing. HD has massive marketing and the future is not a bright light. The products are sold based on a silly life style and the result is a poor performing and, in some ways, outdated product. BMW is trying to provide the best bike for the ride at hand and doing a solid job.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #10 of 44 Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 PM

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that anyone looking to drop $30,000 on a motorcycle is going to probably look around and see what else is in that aisle of the scooter stores.

Scott, I think your take-away might be that you have a great looking bike that attracts attention.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page