Garage Door Opener - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTim View Post
Has anyone thought of using the Denali unit, I think it can control control up to 3 things through the wunderwheel. At some stage I plan to get around to this for my LiftMaster. I did write some software which tracked my phone location and if I was driving towards the house then the gate would open automatically but Google killed the API that I was using so it doesn't work anymore.
The Denali device you linked to seems to be a repackaged Hex ezCAN. Its description is identical.

While I will not say it is impossible, I don't believe it can be used like you expect, unless, perhaps you tied it to a horn circuit, which means you'd have to sound your horn every time you wanted to activate the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
The Denali device you linked to seems to be a repackaged Hex ezCAN. Its description is identical.

While I will not say it is impossible, I don't believe it can be used like you expect, unless, perhaps you tied it to a horn circuit, which means you'd have to sound your horn every time you wanted to activate the door.
To be honest I haven't looked at this yet but I assume they're detecting switches being pressed via the CAN BUS because every time you press a button it puts a code out on the CAN BUS. Then they just light up a circuit based on interpretation. So it's very easy to hack a garage opener - lots on Amazon etc. and make something like holding wunderwheel left for 3 seconds to close and right for 3 seconds to open. I'll probably look at this at Christmas because for me it's not a big issue. I normally ride with a pilion and she opens using her phone as we get close - a bit of artificial intelligence
post #33 of 36 Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
To be honest I haven't looked at this yet but I assume they're detecting switches being pressed via the CAN BUS because every time you press a button it puts a code out on the CAN BUS. Then they just light up a circuit based on interpretation. So it's very easy to hack a garage opener - lots on Amazon etc. and make something like holding wunderwheel left for 3 seconds to close and right for 3 seconds to open. I'll probably look at this at Christmas because for me it's not a big issue. I normally ride with a pilion and she opens using her phone as we get close - a bit of artificial intelligence
You are right in what it does, but you don't have access to reprogram it in the way you're thinking. It has preprogrammed functions that you can choose from a menu....Lights (with settings based on day/night and high/low beam), Horn (triggered with the horn button), Tail/Brake Lights (triggered with brake application), Accessories (alway on). There is no way to customize the functions based on button presses for periods of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
You are right in what it does, but you don't have access to reprogram it in the way you're thinking. It has preprogrammed functions that you can choose from a menu....Lights (with settings based on day/night and high/low beam), Horn (triggered with the horn button), Tail/Brake Lights (triggered with brake application), Accessories (alway on). There is no way to customize the functions based on button presses for periods of time.
If you read the denali website it clearly says:
The CANsmart's four circuits are preprogrammed to connect and independently control two sets of DENALI 2.0 lights, a SoundBomb horn, and our B6 auxiliary brake light. However, our clever "Simple Circuit Over-Ride" feature will let you run any accessory of your choice on any of the four circuits

When you read the manual this is a windows application that can be used to reprogramme each circuit via USB. If this is true then Garage Opener / Closer is no problem.

Cheers Tim

'19 K1600 GT LE Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with 719 Saddle Brown Seat (ordered but not delivered for European touring)
17 K1600 GTL Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with 719 Saddle Brown Seat (living in Mexico for North American touring)
'16 R1200RT Metallic Black (traded after Earthquake Damage, long story over a beer)
79 Honda XR75 Red (sold many years ago after I lost the 10mm spanner and cross-head screwdriver)

Last edited by TouringTim; 05-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #35 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
The CANsmart's four circuits are preprogrammed to connect and independently control two sets of DENALI 2.0 lights, a SoundBomb horn, and our B6 auxiliary brake light. However, our clever "Simple Circuit Over-Ride" feature will let you run any accessory of your choice on any of the four circuits

When you read the manual this is a windows application that can be used to reprogramme each circuit via USB. If this is true then Garage Opener / Closer is no problem.
Only question is can it be programmed for momentary operation?

2018 K1600B GA
post #36 of 36 Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 PM

Garage
Quote:

You've misunderstood what this does. I've been a beta tester for the Hex ezCAN and am quite familiar with what it does and and does not do. This is the exact same thing relabeled for Denali. That accessory circuit is a constant power circuit. It comes on when the bike comes on. When you set a channel for accessory use, the only thing about that channel that you can program is how long is stays on after the bike is turned off. It isn't programmable in the sense that you can trigger it by some designated pattern of button presses.

Take a look at the screenshots of the two units' software:

It is pretty apparent these are the same thing. The only difference is the Denali has a slight difference in how they present the option of how one of the channels can be used for accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page