Heated seat question - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
alta drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 63
It is a single seat I will try going for a longer ride this weekend
I will also try the heater for my seat to see if it heats up
Will advise after I go for a ride
Thanks

2013 K1600 GTL
alta drifter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
flyjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 245
It takes a little while to heat up but over 20 min should be enough use your hand and see if the rear matches your front part of the seat.

It's not uncommon for a wire inside the seat to fail that would show it working but not getting hot.





Quote:
Originally Posted by alta drifter View Post
It is a single seat I will try going for a longer ride this weekend
I will also try the heater for my seat to see if it heats up
Will advise after I go for a ride
Thanks

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
flyjets is online now  
post #13 of 27 Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
justcharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 412
If you can't tell if it is working or not, it probably isn't. It's a seat heater, the seat should get clearly warmer.

If you want to verify, maybe you could measure the amp draw when you switch it on. I don't know what it is supposed to be, but I'd think it'd be pretty clear if it is working or not. I'd guess several amps, but not beyond what a digital multi meter will handle. You can estimate based on wire gauge.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
justcharlie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
alta drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 63
so I haven't been able to check it out any further (planned for Sat0 but if I need to replace the element(s) can I replace them with aftermarket without affecting the Canbus?
thanks
Ron

2013 K1600 GTL
alta drifter is online now  
post #15 of 27 Old 05-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
If the symbol for the dash is lit, that means the seat is connected. You can't get the symbol on the dash without it being connected since the switch itself is in the seat.

This wasn't true for my GA. They swapped my seat and left the wire off. The switch worked (it is on the bag), and the light came on, but no heat.
RichA is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
RefCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 1,438
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA View Post
This wasn't true for my GA. They swapped my seat and left the wire off. The switch worked (it is on the bag), and the light came on, but no heat.
Aha..different setups....the GT/GTL switch is in the seat. If the connector is not connected, the switch is not connected either.

The OP didn't say which bike he had as far as I can tell.
RefCat is online now  
post #17 of 27 Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
alta drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
Aha..different setups....the GT/GTL switch is in the seat. If the connector is not connected, the switch is not connected either.

The OP didn't say which bike he had as far as I can tell.
sorry my mistake it is a GTL and yes it is in the seat
I haven't responded as my bike is at the dealer and hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow

2013 K1600 GTL
alta drifter is online now  
post #18 of 27 Old 05-26-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
alta drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 63
ok so I took my bike into a dealership (not BMW) and they determined that my bike is putting out 12 volts, but the seat is only receiving 7.4 which is why they are not heating up
however they do not have and cannot get the BMW wiring diagrams, so I will be making arrangements to take it to a BMW dealer (100 miles away)
oh well at least they did not charge me to find this out

2013 K1600 GTL
alta drifter is online now  
post #19 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bedford, UK
Posts: 518
Garage
I don't think the wiring diagrams would have told them much.

The question is, why is the ECU instructing a low voltage to the seat heaters - if true, it makes no sense. My understanding is that the canbus shuts down seat heating completely in the event that it detects low voltage at start-up, but IIRC should then throw a warning symbol on the dash - I assume this is not present?

Keeping things simple, I have to see the battery as first suspect though. 12 volts standing, if correct, is a low reading; it should be showing around 12.6v. If you have a multi-meter, set it up to read battery voltage across the terminals - switch on the ignition & see what shows when the canbus checks out & the fuel pump runs up. Then, once settled, press the start button & see how far the voltage dips as she starts - my suspicion is that you will be looking at a significant drop. I can't recall the threshold for achieving a start off hand, but if you check back here doubtless someone can interject.

Alternatively, if you don't have a meter, why not get a battery specialist to check your battery quality. It could save you a long ride.
squibb is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
alta drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibb View Post
I don't think the wiring diagrams would have told them much.

The question is, why is the ECU instructing a low voltage to the seat heaters - if true, it makes no sense. My understanding is that the canbus shuts down seat heating completely in the event that it detects low voltage at start-up, but IIRC should then throw a warning symbol on the dash - I assume this is not present?

Keeping things simple, I have to see the battery as first suspect though. 12 volts standing, if correct, is a low reading; it should be showing around 12.6v. If you have a multi-meter, set it up to read battery voltage across the terminals - switch on the ignition & see what shows when the canbus checks out & the fuel pump runs up. Then, once settled, press the start button & see how far the voltage dips as she starts - my suspicion is that you will be looking at a significant drop. I can't recall the threshold for achieving a start off hand, but if you check back here doubtless someone can interject.

Alternatively, if you don't have a meter, why not get a battery specialist to check your battery quality. It could save you a long ride.
I will give that a try...the shop is closed Mondays so I wont get it back till tomorrow
thanks for the advice

2013 K1600 GTL
alta drifter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seat pan question Pre RDL Trickyric5474 BMW K1600 General Discussions 5 02-24-2019 06:42 PM
Seat Wiring Question mountainman BMW K1600 Lighting / Electrical 5 06-13-2013 08:27 AM
Seat question Johnny_P BMW K1600 General Discussions 7 05-21-2013 11:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome