Heated seat question - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

got my bike back today
I talked to the tech for a good 1/2 hour... he did test the battery and the battery was good. he tried the heated grips and they got hot (which I knew) without the battery dropping
he checked the connections and they are all good.
he thinks the issue is the heating elements in the seat ( I think he said they are only drawing 1.4 ohms) which is (his opinion) why there is only 7.4 volts going to the seat (again his opinion that the seat heater does not have enough resistance and the ECU thinks the seat heater is hot and cuts the power to the elements) that is why he wanted the wiring diagrams to see what the draw should have been. great service even if they did not fix it..they did not charge me for the time spent on it. gave me the option of having them replace the elements and hoping that fixes it or to take it to the BMW dealer

2013 K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
I understand the thinking, but whether you have the correct solution remains uncertain. It could be the heater element, it could be the ECU/canbus parameters somehow need a reset. Are there any other K16 owners nearby who could help by providing a seat swap?

IIRC the OE heater elements should show a resistance of at least 3 ohms at the full running voltage from the bike. There is no supply via the canbus until the bike is running & the battery full. Did the tech try taking the seat off & providing the heater element with a full 12v from a remote supply?
post #23 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 PM

Don't you guys mean amps instead of ohms?

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

No he did not
His logic (which made sense to me) was without the wiring diagram he does not know if the bike sends 12 volts to the heater elements
He also thinks it could need a reset but his gut feeling is that it is the elements

2013 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 27 Old 06-01-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta drifter View Post
No he did not

His logic (which made sense to me) was without the wiring diagram he does not know if the bike sends 12 volts to the heater elements

He also thinks it could need a reset but his gut feeling is that it is the elements
The heat to the seat is adjustable. Switchable for rear and wonder wheel for front.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The grass looks greener on the other side, but it still needs mowing,
post #26 of 27 Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodles View Post
The heat to the seat is adjustable. Switchable for rear and wonder wheel for front.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
correct, but it made no differerence the resistance was the same (front and rear)
I never tried my heated seat but obviously it doesn't work either
I have to go to the city next week for work (cant take my bike), but think I will take the seat and see if the BMW dealer will put it on a used bike and see if it heats up

2013 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 27 Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
Good luck; hope they can sort you out.

Just a thought, that points me toward the need to check the canbus/ECU parameters is ......... what is the chance of both seat heaters failing together.

Now I know sh.. happens, indeed it did on my old Merc S Class when some chump at the dealer managed to damage heater elements in both the seat base & back at enormous cost, whilst working on the sun-roof, but in normal use it seems unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page