Bren Tuning, Engine Modes and safety - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Bren Tuning, Engine Modes and safety

I have just woke up to the problems (perceived problems ?) with the 2018 throttle response and the cure which seems to be getting the engine re-mapped so I would like to share the following with you, the photos are of John's bike, he only had it a month or so and having moved from a Honda Varadero, so he was all "New Fangled" with the gadgets.

1. In 2016 we went to Scotland and John ended up in a ditch, the bike was a write off, John was unhurt and got a GS as his next bike.
2. He lost control and had a slide, he even has a video of it.
3. I had just passed the puddles/mud 30 seconds ahead of him on a 2015 K16, due to the conditions of the road I had my bike in "Rain Mode".
4. When I looked at John's bike he had it set to "Dynamic Mode"

I never told him (and I don't think he is a member of this forum) but I think having the bike in "Dynamic Mode" contributed to the accident. He essentially switched off traction control, downgraded the ABS and put his throttle on "High Sensitivity".

I like the engine modes, when its raining or the road is poor, I use "Rain Mode".

I also know that there is a close relationship between the engine modes and the safety features of the bike (I know this because the manual tells me so).

I pass this tale on to those who are considering getting their bike "Tuned".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-29 14.13.48.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	128058   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-29 14.14.39.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	128060   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-29 14.15.10.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	128062  

Last edited by DavidMcK; 05-29-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 AM

Poor John

Had 2014 gtl premium spring 17 - winter 2019 (rode 25k miles). Bought used Wing to try out (10k miles), Nah-too boring and slow. Like GTL better, bought another GTL. Ha.
post #3 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 AM

It'll buff out . . .
TCinWA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 AM

I'm sorry about John, but can you explain how you're correlating Bren Tuning and this post?
post #5 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Good points. Iím not pro/con on the Bren tune. My understanding is that the procedure is to replace the Ď17+ throttle response or fuel map with a copy from the Ď14 version. Iím not enlightened or educated enough to know the intricacies of the software, but I donít believe the safety features are altered. But I donít really know. So itís good food for thought. Iím glad your buddyís lay down wasnít worse.

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #6 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM

The safety features are not altered with the bren tune. Had mine on the bike (B) since this winter and have gone about 2k with it on through all kinds of weather. The going into rain mode you can feel the bike react differently as far as throttle, brake etc. It also changes in all other modes appropriate.
post #7 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 AM

You should work in marketing! "how do we turn lazy throttle response into a feature?"

I am kidding of course. Still, I think that is stretching it a bit to say a tune may cause an accident. (I have no dog in this fight, my 2014 is perfect)

I have noticed over the years that people seem resistant to actually using the modes on the bike as they ride. Not sure if you remember all those people who complained about the early bikes having a snatchy driveline, but always had the bike in Dynamic in town???

You may be right, your buddy SHOULD have been in rain mode, but whether he had a tune or not wouldn't change the decision of the rider on putting it into the most appropriate mode.

(always sad to see a broken bike)

Cam
2014 K1600 GTL EXCLUSIVE (1st BMW)
CBDane Running lights
Schrodie dual colour emblems
Aeroflow Kit (Wings,Mini wings-GT Tall windshield)
Cal Science Xtra tall 26" windscreen
Dual BMW Communication Helmet Kits
PDM 60
Stebel Air horn (yet to be installed)
USB charger on bars
Issota trunk rack
post #8 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
I'm sorry about John, but can you explain how you're correlating Bren Tuning and this post?
IMO fiddling with the engine modes, or, getting your bike tuned/re-mapped bearing in mind the (no doubt) complex algorithms associated with adjusting traction control etc. is something I would not do, since it may affect the safety features of the bike that are linked to the engine modes.

Others in this post have commented that getting the bike "Bren Tuned" has not affected different engine modes, perhaps that is the case, although, I do wonder how they can be so certain.

To put it another way, if tuning a 2018 bike makes it "More Dynamic" does it make it "More Dynamic" in all of the engine settings? (and perhaps less safe).

Again IMO, the accident John had was affected by the engine mode he was using at the time, essentially he was in "Least Safe Mode" of operation, on a road with low to pretty much no level of grip.

So, this post is, hopefully "food for thought" for those among us who feel they need their bike tuned.
post #9 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcK View Post
IMO fiddling with the engine modes, or, getting your bike tuned/re-mapped bearing in mind the (no doubt) complex algorithms associated with adjusting traction control etc. is something I would not do, since it may affect the safety features of the bike that are linked to the engine modes.

Others in this post have commented that getting the bike "Bren Tuned" has not affected different engine modes, perhaps that is the case, although, I do wonder how they can be so certain.

To put it another way, if tuning a 2018 bike makes it "More Dynamic" does it make it "More Dynamic" in all of the engine settings? (and perhaps less safe).

Again IMO, the accident John had was affected by the engine mode he was using at the time, essentially he was in "Least Safe Mode" of operation, on a road with low to pretty much no level of grip.

So, this post is, hopefully "food for thought" for those among us who feel they need their bike tuned.
No offense, but all you've done is speculate on something you clearly don't understand. You'd do well to speak with the folks at Bren or any other company that offers ECU flashing as they could educate you and you'd not have made these suggestions.

I've been reprogramming EFI bikes and cars for a decade. There is no added danger as you suggest.
Gunnert, RedCard and HOGSLYR like this.
post #10 of 70 Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM

One rider didn't hit the mud and didn't go down. The other one hit the mud and went down. What does that have to do with Bren tuning?
rikracer99, Spur man and av8r like this.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page