My first 40 mile report! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
My first 40 mile report!

I realize i need more time under my belt coming from a S 1000RR.

Maybe I just need more experience or time on the bike but something about first gear or even the throttle....its physically not snappy like a sports bike. More like a soft roll.
Problem I am having is, I am trying to re learn how to give this bike a smooth throttle. Somewhere between 1-8% throttle there is like an engine catch. I notice this more exaggerated when your at a high RPM and you down shift...if you hit a slight bump on the road and rotate your wrist a bit thats enough for the bike to react somewhat jerky motion. I guess what I am trying to say I wish there was some more tension in the throttle but I get it its a cruiser we dont want sore wrist lol.

Does that make any sense to anybody?

Also, I havent figured out how to set the digital speedometer they said to turn off the radio but still see nothing just that the radio is muted now.

Which setting sets the softest suspension? I was messing around with road alot all felt the same fells like the bike just raise or lowered my position.

Lastly, the handle bars. I dont have large hands but the bar feel thinner to grab. Almost like grabbing a noodle compared to a bat. Is that just my experience?

Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle

Last edited by wizard1325; 05-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 PM

Wow that’s quite the switch in extremes. That 1k is a beast. Assuming you have played with the tuning modes. Rain, road, dynamic? For me rain is smoothest and around town in traffic I often prefer this bc it’s smoother and I dont need/want to jump forward.

Been a while since my busa/zx12/Zx14r days. But I remember the snap you are talking about. Back then I wanted MORE snap. I guess I’m settling down. Lol

Had 2014 gtl premium spring 17 - winter 2019 (rode 25k miles). Bought used Wing to try out (10k miles), Nah-too boring and slow. Like GTL better, bought another GTL. Ha.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would this fix my handle bar issue?

Grip Buddies (#14881111) C600 Sport 14881111 | BMW Wunderlich America
astros50 and earthling like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Wow thatís quite the switch in extremes. That 1k is a beast. Assuming you have played with the tuning modes. Rain, road, dynamic? For me rain is smoothest and around town in traffic I often prefer this bc itís smoother and I dont need/want to jump forward.

Been a while since my busa/zx12/Zx14r days. But I remember the snap you are talking about. Back then I wanted MORE snap. I guess Iím settling down. Lol

Hmmm good Idea i havent tried rain mode yet..just Road.

post #5 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1325 View Post
I realize i need more time under my belt coming from a S 1000RR.
That's quite a change...

Quote:
Maybe I just need more experience or time on the bike but something about first gear or even the throttle....its physically not snappy like a sports bike. More like a soft roll.
BMW softened the throttle in 2018 compared to earlier bikes. Bren Tuning can take care of that for you.

Quote:
Problem I am having is, I am trying to re learn how to give this bike a smooth throttle. Somewhere between 1-8% throttle there is like an engine catch. I notice this more exaggerated when your at a high RPM and you down shift...if you hit a slight bump on the road and rotate your wrist a bit thats enough for the bike to react somewhat jerky motion. I guess what I am trying to say I wish there was some more tension in the throttle but I get it its a cruiser we dont want sore wrist lol.
Play with the different ride modes Rain, Road, Dynamic, which alter the throttle response somewhat. These riding modes can be changed while stopped, or on the fly by pushing the Mode button to select the new riding mode, then briefly pulling in the clutch and dropping the engine to idle until it switches (a second or two).

And sometimes, it's just putting a few miles on to learn the subtleties of a new bike.

Quote:
Also, I havent figured out how to set the digital speedometer they said to turn off the radio but still see nothing just that the radio is muted now.
You have to enable the digital speedo using the menus and Scroll Wheel. Push the Menu button several times until you get to the Settings menu. Use the ScrollWheel to select User, then push the ScrollWheel right to select that menu. Move to Background and select, then move to Speedo and select. Push the ScrollWheel to the left to move back up the menu tree.

Quote:
Which setting sets the softest suspension? I was messing around with road alot all felt the same fells like the bike just raise or lowered my position.
Comfort, Normal, Sport modes adjust damping rates, and can be changed while riding. Rider, Rider with Luggage, and Passenger with Luggage adjust the preload (ride height), and the bike must be stopped before the menu to make those changes appears.

Quote:
Lastly, the handle bars. I dont have large hands but the bar feel thinner to grab. Almost like grabbing a noodle compared to a bat. Is that just my experience?
BMW does like it's skinny grips...

Solutions include Grab On Grip covers, Grip Buddies, wrapping with tennis racket tape, or replacing the grips with something larger.

And yeah, we've all been there. Most of us just sat down and read the BMW manual to get the answers we needed...
maybeinoregon and Grevens like this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; 05-24-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes. There are a couple choices out there. Not sure what these skinny grips say about Germans.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
post #7 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
I put these on my first GTL in 2012 and bought a fresh pair for my 2016 GTL. A little shaving cream on the inside or a squirt of compressed air will let them slide right on.
https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Co...s%2C191&sr=8-1

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #8 of 28 Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
I love the BeemerBuddies/ GripBuddies. It fixes the small diameter grip problem. It will dull the heat coming through grip heaters, but it is totally worth it.

You can buy direct also. I have been through several sets. The most recent ones seem to have lasted a lot longer than the first ones I had on my Kawi C14.

Grip buddies
post #9 of 28 Old 05-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Wizard

U need to do a Search for Euro 4 compliance that is what is causing your throttle to feel shall we say lagging or not crisp.

It can be fixed with a Bren tune but personally you need to ride it more.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Wizard, grip puppies will take care of the tiny grip syndrome install them with hair spray on the inside of the grip puppies they will slide right on then stick. Throttle response sucks on the 17 and on k bikes Bren tuning is your friend. I have a grand America ride in dynamic engine mode and road mode on suspension setting. Enjoy your new ride 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page