BMW K1600 Forum banner

Installed HeliBars Sport Touring Handlebars on my K1600GA

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  USMC G2 
#1 ·
I installed the HeliBars Sport Touring Handlebars on my K1600 GA a few days ago.
The riding position is improved - I am 5'10" and felt like the OEM bars were a little short.
The powder coated finish is very high quality, the machining work is precise, and the instructions were easy to follow. It took me around 2 hours to disassemble and install them, but I also did the SSR gas cap at the same time. Putting gas in the bike is easier with the SSR cap and losing that crossbar on the OEM handlebars.
Only tip I'd have on installation is NOT to put the bike on a lift and lock the front wheel - you will need to turn the front wheel lock to lock to disassemble the controls from the factory handlebars.
Overall, quite happy with my purchase, HeliBars did a very good job designing and making these.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Dunno about the bars.....but I gotta get me that gas cap!

HATE the OEM one....aarrgghh!

If your primary issue with the OE gas cap is the California vapor recovery systems, there is a easy solution.

I bought a simple tool that holds the nozzle up, makes putting in gas much easier.

See pictures for company name. Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I am going for it. Ordered bars yesterday and if I have to I will lengthen the cables. I currently have the Ilium Bar Back risers which have a bit more reach than the Helibar's. I will use them with new handlebars. Hopefully without messing with the cables but will if need be. After couple hundred miles now my back starts killing me due to my reach on current setup. I don't have that issue on my other bikes so I need to fix it. Also like the looks more of the new bars which is a great benefit.
Thanks to OP for turning me on to these!

#15 ·
I did both the Illium bar backs and the Helibar bars. I am 6.2 with 34 inseam and short arms so needed the extension of both. Before doing bars with just Bar Backs I would get pain around 200 miles into the day. Last Sunday I went about 450 miles with zero pain. Everything about the Helibars works better for me including wrist position. I did have to put extension on the brake line. My dealer found a short extension that works perfect, hidden and was easy to install. Have about 15000 miles on this setup.

Attachments

#16 ·
I have the helibars on my B (without any risers) and they are a big improvement for me, especially wrist position. I have the standard seat and the suburban machine peg relocation kit. Very comfortable - pricey but a great addition to the bike.

#17 ·
Cool!
This thread reminds me of my Helibar experience with my 2005 ST1300. I had helibars installed on it.
The helibars were phenomenal. I road from New Haven, CT, to the Tail of the Dragon overnight, stopping
only for gas. Not a lick of discomfort. Is it my imagination or the helibars, but maneuverability improved too, as demonstrated by my comfort and speed moving through the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.
:cool:
50º New Haven, CT January 18, 2023
Wheel Tire Helmet Fuel tank Vehicle

2019 K1600B GA; 1998 R1200C

#18 ·
Ericedelman,

Great post...I too, installed the Helibars on my 2022 K1600B. A game changer for comfort and filling up the fuel tank (Southern CA). The installation instructions were perfectly written - kudos to the company.

Question: What gas cap did you purchase? Where? And any tips for installation would be great...much thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Mirror Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.