LT to GTL to RT to B and back to GT/GTL? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM

For those advocating you just remove the side cases and all is equal I say BS. The ergonomics of the the GT/GTL are very different. So much so that if only a GTL was available I wouldn't be on a K1600.

Duane
nazdravanul and lclaycomb123 like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 08:20 PM

Slide over to the K1600 B/GA move the exhaust to the new bike... she will love it.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
For those advocating you just remove the side cases and all is equal I say BS. The ergonomics of the the GT/GTL are very different. So much so that if only a GTL was available I wouldn't be on a K1600.

Duane
Hi sir. Care to elaborate on the above. I am very curious to know how different the two bikes are. Let's say one removes the top and side cases from both bikes, how different are they? Just like to learn more about the differences. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid View Post
Hi sir. Care to elaborate on the above. I am very curious to know how different the two bikes are. Let's say one removes the top and side cases from both bikes, how different are they? Just like to learn more about the differences. Thank you

The ergonomics, handling and wind management are the main differences. Plus a slight difference in the exhaust note - the GTL is a bit too muted, maybe getting a bit into large scooter-like territory.
Let's start with the least important: wind management. The GTL's only minor plus are the added wing deflectors near the mirrors, and potentially the more protective mirrors (on 2017+ bikes) . But the GTL OEM screen, while a lot more protective than the GT screen, creates a lot of back pressure, at higher speeds (90+ mph). Bottom line: both bikes need aftermarket screens and even added side protection (think Aeroflow aerowings)
Ergonomics: the GTL offers different handlebars, seat, and pegs position, resulting in a much more relaxed long distance touring position. The difference is far from trivial - the GTL is a much more relaxed ride. The trade-off is handling.
The GT handles a lot better, due to the different ergonomics and the different suspension settings. It's a lot more composed and precise in the turns, at various speeds, and in different degrees of traffic congestion. And is more stable at high speeds (again, 90+ mph), due to the different suspension, weight distribution and wind management. Both compared with the topcase on - the shape of the GT topcase, without the added drag of the hump of GTL passenger backrest, additionally helps aerodynamics (as much as a big box mounted high, on top of the bike, can "help").
Note regarding seats: the OEM GTL seat that comes stock creates a cramped position for somewhat taller riders. An extra-high one-piece GTL OEM seat (selectable as a no cost option if buying a new bike) will put you at the same height as the stock, 2 piece, OEM GT seat. But, both bikes will most probably require an aftermarket seat, as durability and long distance comfort are not ideal.
I wouldn't advise buying one or the other bike without serious test rides on both. I did 3 back to back extended test rides, with different model year bikes, until I could clarify the differences, for myself, and make a clear choice.
In the end no bike is perfect, all will require some dialling in to fit your frame and riding requirements. And even them, some compromises will have to be made and accepted.
Zunaid likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
I would be so disappointed if my B had a limiter on it.

Happiness is key.

For me this debate would center on: How often my bride rode with me vs how often I ride solo.

For me, this is a non issue - most of my riding is solo. So I must make solo me happy first.

When I travel with a companion, I attach the extra comfort items to my B.

When I travel for a trip, I attach the necessary luggage to my B.

For me the B is the queen of my hive and I enjoy her all to myself; as bareback as I can get.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #16 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul View Post
The ergonomics, handling and wind management are the main differences. Plus a slight difference in the exhaust note - the GTL is a bit too muted, maybe getting a bit into large scooter-like territory.
Let's start with the least important: wind management. The GTL's only minor plus are the added wing deflectors near the mirrors, and potentially the more protective mirrors (on 2017+ bikes) . But the GTL OEM screen, while a lot more protective than the GT screen, creates a lot of back pressure, at higher speeds (90+ mph). Bottom line: both bikes need aftermarket screens and even added side protection (think Aeroflow aerowings)
Ergonomics: the GTL offers different handlebars, seat, and pegs position, resulting in a much more relaxed long distance touring position. The difference is far from trivial - the GTL is a much more relaxed ride. The trade-off is handling.
The GT handles a lot better, due to the different ergonomics and the different suspension settings. It's a lot more composed and precise in the turns, at various speeds, and in different degrees of traffic congestion. And is more stable at high speeds (again, 90+ mph), due to the different suspension, weight distribution and wind management. Both compared with the topcase on - the shape of the GT topcase, without the added drag of the hump of GTL passenger backrest, additionally helps aerodynamics (as much as a big box mounted high, on top of the bike, can "help").
Note regarding seats: the OEM GTL seat that comes stock creates a cramped position for somewhat taller riders. An extra-high one-piece GTL OEM seat (selectable as a no cost option if buying a new bike) will put you at the same height as the stock, 2 piece, OEM GT seat. But, both bikes will most probably require an aftermarket seat, as durability and long distance comfort are not ideal.
I wouldn't advise buying one or the other bike without serious test rides on both. I did 3 back to back extended test rides, with different model year bikes, until I could clarify the differences, for myself, and make a clear choice.
In the end no bike is perfect, all will require some dialling in to fit your frame and riding requirements. And even them, some compromises will have to be made and accepted.
The GT to me has no point. Kind in the twilight zone because it can't decide where to really be as a bike. GTL can do it all with comfort and great handling. If they didn't make the GTL and just the GT I think I would go back to my Multistrada.
post #17 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Judging from his signature, the OP has already traded in his B for a '19 GT. Not one for procrastination huh, MrBreeze?

The GT is the only K16 I am interested, but that doesn't mean I don't see merit in the other trims. I'm just glad BMW offers that many choices on the same platform, which is remarkable for a relatively small mfr, in terms of production units/yr. And BMW has always been good about doing this across their platforms. I wish other mfrs would take a lesson from BMW on this. Especially Honda. The VFR1200F is a great hypersport tourer or gentleman's sportbike, which is exactly what I wanted in that bike. However, there are riders who would've prefer a more relaxed ergos and better touring amenities. Nope, Honda didn't make a VFR1200GT or VFR1200GTL or VFR1200B. The result was inevitable... folks lambasted the VFR1200F for what it wasn't and how it didn't suit their wants and needs. Rightfully so. To this day, the largest motorcycle mfr has not a single sport touring rig in its entire lineup.

So, enjoy whichever variant you choose and be glad you have that choice.
Gunnert likes this.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #18 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul View Post

What bike did you end up with ?

post #19 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
For me this debate would center on: How often my bride rode with me ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
...but there are many times I want to share the ride with my bride...Thoughts?
Warning: Thread drift

Since "...Thoughts?" pretty much opened the discussion. I often wonder why men misuse the term bride so often, is it to make your wife seem newer, younger, etc? Does she still call you her groom? Or are both of you newlywed? Even my wife has asked these questions.

bride/brīd/noun
a woman on her wedding day or just before and after the event.
synonyms: newlywed, honeymooner;

Tom

Last edited by TPadden; 06-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
I used same vernacular he used - I am not a "bride" sayer
TPadden likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page