BMW K1600 Forum banner

LT to GTL to RT to B and back to GT/GTL?

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  K16Noob 
#1 ·
After an 2003 and 2009 LT, a 2012 GTL, a 2014 RT and now a 2018 B, I'm now wondering if going back to a GT/GTL is a better solution.

Most of my riding is solo, and I love the K1600B with it's bagger look and Remus exhaust, but there are many times I want to share the ride with my bride, and while I have a Corbin saddle with pillion backrest, she just doesn't feel as comfortable/secure as she did on the GTL or RT with the top case. So now I'm thinking of going back to a GT or GTL for my solo tours and day-rides. I know I'll take a hit on the B even with only 3,000 miles, but a GT or GTL just might be the right solution. Thoughts?

#2 ·
After an 2003 and 2009 LT, a 2012 GTL, a 2014 RT and now a 2018 B, I'm now wondering if going back to a GT/GTL is a better solution.

Most of my riding is solo, and I love the K1600B with it's bagger look and Remus exhaust, but there are many times I want to share the ride with my bride, and while I have a Corbin saddle with pillion backrest, she just doesn't feel as comfortable/secure as she did on the GTL or RT with the top case. So now I'm thinking of going back to a GT or GTL for my solo tours and day-rides. I know I'll take a hit on the B even with only 3,000 miles, but a GT or GTL just might be the right solution. Thoughts?

Keep the B and get a second bike....:tb

#3 ·
....that's the MV Augusta

The 3rd is the custom CX500

If I get a 4th, I won't have a bride as a pillion... :laugh:

#7 ·
I agree, but what if money is an object. I feel a K16GT let's you have the best in most circumstances. You can remove all panniers if you wish to do spirited riding.
You can add a top box for a pillion.
You can add top box and panniers for touring, and at the same time swop out screens, foot pegs and seat for a more comfortable ride.
Not many other bikes are so versatile in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I had the B for a good few months and I loved the bike. I had 2 issues during the ownership, 1 is when I rode on canyon carving roads, I missed the sportiness nature of a motorcycle and 2 the panniers irritated me at times. They cannot be removed (which is why the bike has a limiter on it) and it was way too small to be practical.
So when the new GT came out a few days ago (in SA) anyway, I asked the dealer if he could do a deal for me and he did. I did not even think twice about changing over.
The bagger in south Africa is selling really bad, and if I kept the bike for another year, I would loose a ton of money on it.
You rather loose a little dough now, and get the bike you like, or loose a lot later. If you thinking of changing over, you will inevitably do it, so rather now than later.

#11 ·
For those advocating you just remove the side cases and all is equal I say BS. The ergonomics of the the GT/GTL are very different. So much so that if only a GTL was available I wouldn't be on a K1600.

Duane

#13 ·
For those advocating you just remove the side cases and all is equal I say BS. The ergonomics of the the GT/GTL are very different. So much so that if only a GTL was available I wouldn't be on a K1600.

Duane
Hi sir. Care to elaborate on the above. I am very curious to know how different the two bikes are. Let's say one removes the top and side cases from both bikes, how different are they? Just like to learn more about the differences. Thank you

#15 ·
I would be so disappointed if my B had a limiter on it.

Happiness is key.

For me this debate would center on: How often my bride rode with me vs how often I ride solo.

For me, this is a non issue - most of my riding is solo. So I must make solo me happy first.

When I travel with a companion, I attach the extra comfort items to my B.

When I travel for a trip, I attach the necessary luggage to my B.

For me the B is the queen of my hive and I enjoy her all to myself; as bareback as I can get.

#19 · (Edited)
For me this debate would center on: How often my bride rode with me ...
...but there are many times I want to share the ride with my bride...Thoughts?
Warning: Thread drift

Since "...Thoughts?" pretty much opened the discussion. I often wonder why men misuse the term bride so often, is it to make your wife seem newer, younger, etc? Does she still call you her groom? Or are both of you newlywed? Even my wife has asked these questions. >:)

bride/brīd/noun
a woman on her wedding day or just before and after the event.
synonyms: newlywed, honeymooner;

Tom

#17 ·
Judging from his signature, the OP has already traded in his B for a '19 GT. Not one for procrastination huh, MrBreeze? :smile:

The GT is the only K16 I am interested, but that doesn't mean I don't see merit in the other trims. I'm just glad BMW offers that many choices on the same platform, which is remarkable for a relatively small mfr, in terms of production units/yr. And BMW has always been good about doing this across their platforms. I wish other mfrs would take a lesson from BMW on this. Especially Honda. The VFR1200F is a great hypersport tourer or gentleman's sportbike, which is exactly what I wanted in that bike. However, there are riders who would've prefer a more relaxed ergos and better touring amenities. Nope, Honda didn't make a VFR1200GT or VFR1200GTL or VFR1200B. The result was inevitable... folks lambasted the VFR1200F for what it wasn't and how it didn't suit their wants and needs. Rightfully so. To this day, the largest motorcycle mfr has not a single sport touring rig in its entire lineup.

So, enjoy whichever variant you choose and be glad you have that choice.

#22 ·
I usually attempt to communicate at the same level as the people I'm discoursing with.

If he would have used other terms like: pillion, passenger, ole lady, better half, significant other, ball and chain, sweetie, honey bunny, or some other type of name; I would have repeated that one back too.

No apologies needed. I hope the tone of my reply did not come off as negative. If so, that is not me.

Reactions: TPadden
#25 ·
OP here.
Ya, I was doing my due diligence and getting some numbers worked up with my local dealer on a possible trade, and ended up trading the B on a '19 GT.
Loved the 2012 GTL. Loved the 2018 B and I have no doubts I'll love the GT. They each have their own personality and like the GTL and B, but like most of us, I'll make modifications to suit my needs, riding style and style preferences.

While not the smartest from a financial perspective to trade in a bike that's only 6 months old and 3,000 miles, but fortunately with the B's being a new model and demand is still high, my dealer was able to get me close to retail on the trade (when factoring in tax savings).

With regard to the "bride" term - I use it often as a term of endearment. We are 5 years in (wife #2) and I plan on calling her "bride" until I'm road dust. Pillion/passenger is more practical, but she's supportive of my two-wheeled passion and solo rides/trips, so I prefer to call her my bride.

I enjoyed reading the banter and comments.

Reactions: nazdravanul
#27 · (Edited)
Another update from me, on this thread.
As I was having the 6000 mile service done on my 17 GT, I was offered a 1250 RT loaner.
Here are my impressions: I feel the improvements over the previous generatuon LC boxer. Slightly smoother, a bit more round, better acceleration and torque everywhere. Auto levelling suspension was nice, but not great.
BUT ... I couldn’t wait to get back on my K16. Even though in terms of 0-100 mph acceleration the 6 cylinder and shiftcam boxer are rather similar, the feel of the engine is completely different. The k16 is a much more refined bike. It was like stepping back in time, and not in a good way. The 6 cylinder packs an amazing punch in a much sexier, less obtrussive, more relaxing manner. After 15 years on boxers, and 8 months on the K, I didn’t really enjoy the vibration, anymore. The quickshift was rough, and not very useful, on the R.
In terms of wind management, the out of the box RT was really bad, even at low speeds , compared to my maxed out (in terms of farkles) GT.
Surprisingly, even in terms of low speed and B roads handling, my GT was nicer - more prescise, more confidence inspiring.
Sorry guys, but I don’t get it - there is no contest here, the K16 is simply better (at least for me) in every single respect. It’s a strange and great feeling - to lust only after the bike you already own :)

#28 ·
I also noted that in our market (south African), a good buy is to rather buy a GTL than a GT. The GTL cost only a few rands more, but I find that you can easily "convert" it back to a GT giving you the best of both worlds. We do not get radio and aux on our GT's, so converting a GT to a GTL is almost impossible.

#29 ·
here we go again...

A GTL and a GT are closely related siblings but they are not twins, no matter how much you strip off the GTL. I have a GTL, it has been modified with quick detach armrests. I can go from full GTL to stripped down GTL in a few minutes. What i end up with is a more agile and somewhat sexier GTL.. its still a GTL. Riding position, throttle response, and suspension are different enough that you cannot compare them. Another analogy, both my wife and Charlize Theron are blondes.. similar results.. :)

What's that honey?...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.