Wish my buttons where backlit thanks BMW - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 109 Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeinoregon View Post
FWIW, I only had to see that button once...turned them on, and never turned them off.
Well ya have a point there....
Ill go along with you on the fog light button.

2018 B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 109 Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
BMW Layout of the handle bar controls is superb in its logic and simplicity. The wonder wheel supports several functions that eliminate the need fOR additional mechanical controls unlike think Goldwing. The horn and the high beam flasher are opposed to each other so that you can use them easily simultaneously in an emergency. This is a great example of functional design when you care to explore it.
For me backlight buttons dont add functionality but increase distraction during night rides. If I have to look for a visual clue as to the buttons location and function I did not spend enough time to get to know my bike.
JMHO.

And your claim that we need backlit buttons (written in capital letters) is a bit condescending.
Yeah, i pulled the fuse in my car....No more distracting dash or button lights for me.
claw likes this.

2018 B
post #23 of 109 Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
You can use the Mode button to select a new mode while moving, pull in the clutch and drop the revs to idle for a couple seconds while it switches modes, then just add revs and let out the clutch to be back to normal.
On my '12 there is no need to drop the revs to idle. Just for the fun of it, sometimes I switch betwen Rain and Dynamic between shifts (usually 2nd to 3rd) just to feel the difference between them in a dramatic fashion.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
BMW Layout of the handle bar controls is superb in its logic and simplicity. The wonder wheel supports several functions that eliminate the need fOR additional mechanical controls unlike think Goldwing. The horn and the high beam flasher are opposed to each other so that you can use them easily simultaneously in an emergency. This is a great example of functional design when you care to explore it.
For me backlight buttons don’t add functionality but increase distraction during night rides. If I have to look for a visual clue as to the buttons location and function I did not spend enough time to get to know my bike.
JMHO.

And your claim that we need backlit buttons (written in capital letters) is a bit condescending.
Yeah, i pulled the fuse in my car....No more distracting dash or button lights for me.

Haha. I mean right? Why wouldnt you?

Why stop there? Just shut of the back lit for the speedometer. You should know where your needle is at.

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle

Last edited by wizard1325; 06-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.
post #25 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1325 View Post
Haha. I mean right? Why wouldnt you?

Why stop there? Just shut of the back lit for the speedometer. You should know where your needle is at.

Your sense of humor would benefit from a backlit button a lot. case closed for me.
Bobi and Marc11 like this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #26 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Bottom line, if you need backlit buttons that means, first you don't know where the buttons are and second you are taking your eyes off the road to stare and tiny lit letters to find and then use the button...while not looking at the road.

Just learn where the buttons are and sure them by memory and not sight while riding or pull over under a Street lamp.

Sheesh I mean really is this what this forum has boiled down too?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #27 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 AM

If Triumph can do backlit switchgear on the $18k Explorer, there is no reason why BMW couldn't do it on the $30k K16. All the excuses are just that - excuses.

Is it absolutely needed? Of course not. Neither is central locking, keyless ignition, cruise control, shift assist, hillstart assist, traction control, ABS, reverse gear, etc., etc., etc., etc.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #28 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Hilarious
wizard1325 likes this.

2013 K1600 GTL
post #29 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
If Triumph can do backlit switchgear on the $18k Explorer, there is no reason why BMW couldn't do it on the $30k K16. All the excuses are just that - excuses.

Is it absolutely needed? Of course not. Neither is central locking, keyless ignition, cruise control, shift assist, hillstart assist, traction control, ABS, reverse gear, etc., etc., etc., etc.

This is exactly my point thank you , Volfy

And on a side note im sure there's tons of Geico, progressive reports stating the motorcycle crash was do to the shiny green buttons on my handle bars

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle

Last edited by wizard1325; 06-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #30 of 109 Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Whether or not the shiny backlit buttons would be distracting or not, there is no doubt that having their location and operation integrated into muscle memory is better than having to look and read text (TEXT!!!) while rocketing down the road in the dark. To put it another way, at 70MPH you are covering ~100fps and in the time it takes you to read and understand the button (the first few times anyhow) you will be covering somewhere between 60 and 100 feet of braking distance/reaction time. (just sayin') I was being serious when I said that all of this should be voice controlled. There is little on those buttons or in those menus that would be dangerous to have voice controlled and for the few things that are, keep them out of my prying fingers anyhow. Siri/Alexa/Cardo are all illustrative that it can work quite well and be relatively inexpensive, and... as a byproduct we can lose a lot of wiring/assembly complexity/fragility in the process.
Up 2 It and ROBSMST like this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page