Ordered the Sargents Seat - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM

I have one and like it.

The only annoying thing is a raised seam at the back of the rider seat, which has a tendency to dig into one's butt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
hmm interesting will test and confirm

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #13 of 29 Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
ADC

Garage
My Sargent seat is installed and ready to begin a 3500 mile ride from So Cal to British Columbia and home. I ordered the backrest also. I have only put about 100 miles on the seat, so this will be the big test. First impression is that the seat is very comfortable and hopefully, I'm going to love the backrest. Very pleased with the fit and quality. Had Bill Mayer rework my existing GTL seat, but it didn't work for my long distance ride. The Bill Mayer is a great looking seat, but different butts fit different seats and so I'm moving on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC View Post
My Sargent seat is installed and ready to begin a 3500 mile ride from So Cal to British Columbia and home. I ordered the backrest also. I have only put about 100 miles on the seat, so this will be the big test. First impression is that the seat is very comfortable and hopefully, I'm going to love the backrest. Very pleased with the fit and quality. Had Bill Mayer rework my existing GTL seat, but it didn't work for my long distance ride. The Bill Mayer is a great looking seat, but different butts fit different seats and so I'm moving on.
If I can ask, how did you interact with Bill (Rocky) Mayer? Did you send him your OEM seat through the mail, or did you do a ride-in to Ventura?
post #15 of 29 Old 06-14-2019, 04:59 PM
ADC

Garage
John, I rode into Ventura.
post #16 of 29 Old 06-14-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC View Post
John, I rode into Ventura.
Ok, thanks. As you said, all butts are different and if the Sargent works for you, great. That's all that matters. I'm glad that the Sargent is working great so far, and I hope the trip to British Columbia verifies you made the right choice.

I asked because I have a new BMS seat built for my GTL. I too did a ride-in to Ventura, but Bill (Rocky) Mayer isn't running the business any longer. Bill is somewhat retired now, mostly building saddles at national Rallies. Adrian, his senior long time employee building saddles, took over the business under his own name of Legendary BMS: www.legendarybms.com. While working for Bill, Adrian built my 1200LT saddle in Ojai back in 2011. That bike couldn't have been more comfortable, so I didn't hesitate when I learned Adrian would build the GTL saddle. So far, so good. I only have 1000 miles in the new saddle -- but nothing more than 75 miles at a time. Like you, I'm about to take off on a 3500 mile round trip adventure, and that will be the final test.

Maybe we can compare seat notes when we both get back. Good luck on your trip!
post #17 of 29 Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Is there a backrest option for the GTL as well? The stock one one the Top Case is pretty worthless.

*EDIT - If the backrest is the one for the driver, then please disregard my question. I'm looking for an improvement for my wife that can be used on the Top Case.

Never cross a "bridge", without checkin' out the view! - me

Life is too short to drive an ugly car. -me
post #18 of 29 Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was wondering the same for the back rest also

2019 K1600 Grand America
post #19 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immtbiker View Post
Is there a backrest option for the GTL as well? The stock one one the Top Case is pretty worthless.

*EDIT - If the backrest is the one for the driver, then please disregard my question. I'm looking for an improvement for my wife that can be used on the Top Case.
I've often wondered the same thing. You'd think BMW could do better than a box with a poor substitute for padding. The padding on the top case backrest for the LT's was actually OK. They also messed up on the positioning of the passenger grab handles. They're ergonomically useless. Again, a well designed feature on the LT. My only thinking is that BMW designed the 1600 to be a GT type bike and not a luxury tourer. Meaning addressing passenger needs were an afterthought. I could be wrong but nothing else seems to make sense.

What I found helped is altering the passenger seat by building in a small lip at the back. It smooths out that abrupt 90 degree angle to the top case, and provides a small amount of lumbar support for the passenger. My wife really likes that improvement. I guess you could also hang a custom back pad from the fake headrest. I haven't got to that point yet, but I'm not sure what else can be done.

Last edited by JohnS1955; 06-15-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
pic?

2019 K1600 Grand America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page