First Service - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First Service

So today I voluntarily got raped and went in for my first service- typically do the "first service" myself but the price tag on this bike has me concerned with voided warranty risks for not having the dealer perform the first service.... Anyway whatever I'm out $400 for an oil change, rear diff oil, and a hook up to a BMW diagnostics tool to say all systems are go!! Guess it's worth the $400 ??
Also complained about a vibration above 100 mph, to me feels like a tire out of balance.. (here we go), I was told by one service writer that its common and everyone experiences the wobble,, Wobble?? I actually got pissed and said Did I say wobble!! ?? NO I said vibration... so don't dismiss my concern from what you read on the internet!! it's not relevant to what we're discussing here..
went on about saying it feels like an out of balance tire.. the replies were- we legally can't ask a tech to road test at those speeds- I never asked for them to do so. Then he goes on saying maybe the tires are not of the proper speed rating- Really? Then he suggests maybe the tire is causing it- the next set of tires might do better? - Again, really?
Did I mention this thing is new,I know back in the day a tech or service writer would say "let's check the balance" not once it was offered or suggested, what the tech did suggest was not to ride at those speeds the bike is governed at 130, and if you're not getting the vibration at normal highway speeds don't worry about it... Best I could do today was to document it on the service ticket and every time I go there I will mention it, needless to say I'm not happy with today experience.

What's your views? Are the answers from the service dept. acceptable? ride more worry less kind of thing? is it a generation thing ? let go of the old ways and embrace the ways of the millennials thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Why didn't you just ask them to check the wheel for proper balance instead of going through all that rigamoral.
nigelhobbes and Jonnybow like this.

Scott R
2018 K1600 GTL
post #3 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Same suggestion , going back and forth gets us no where
Just insist to speak to a service manager ... explain that for safety sake and piece of mind , u would prefer he check , the balancing of ur tires ...
Simple and easy ....
nigelhobbes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
me: There's a vibration in my bike, and it varies with the speed I'm traveling. Maybe I lost a wheel weight and the balance might be off.
service guy: blah blah blah
me: What would it take to check and re-balance both wheels?
service guy: blah blah blah
me: Ok, I'm good with that. OR, The bike is brand new. Can you help me out with that? I'd appreciate it. Today? Next weekend? What's available?

my experience with my local BMW shop: I purchased my bike out of town. Local dealer didn't often have a GT, and not the one I wanted. After talking to the salesman and letting him know that I hoped there wouldn't be any hard feelings about buying elsewhere, I went in to the service manager and asked him about break-in service etc. He didn't care where I bought it and was glad to have a service relationship with me. We discussed break in service and 6k mile services and the ball park costs for each. He mentioned the 18k services would be almost double. They are not as expensive as prices I've seen on the forum. They're about 15% cheaper if memory serves. Anyway, I knew what to expect going in. The next nearest BMW dealer is 4 hours away. I want a good relationship with my local guys. I want them in business. I want a successful local dealer. I don't want to do my own service.

my guess: Service guy sees you have a brand new bike. He assumes it was assembled correctly because most probably are. He thinks it's mostly in your head. It's a new bike to you. Many things will become normal with exposure to it. And honestly, like you, I would probably want more interest in my concerns as well. If it isn't volunteered, I'd ask specifically for what I wanted if he didn't have any suggestions. He isn't likely to volunteer to spend shop hours diagnosing something he cannot replicate because of excessive speed or whatever the excuse. I'd try to accept what help I could receive for free and offer to pursue it with a few bucks if needed. In life in general, if I don't look like I'm asking for much and am will to contribute, I seem to get some helpful benefits. Best of luck getting it resolved. And congrats on the new bike!!

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); 76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); 83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #5 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 03:43 PM

$400? It's $600 in Las Vegas... consider yourself lucky

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
post #6 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/...68634641?hl=en

I hear ya!
Rick

2016 BMW K1600 GTL-E

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid" David St. Hubbins
post #7 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
I got myself a GS911, oil and a filter...and a Trox set to tighten down all the bolts..

They have till i get to 3, 600 miles to ride with no faults. =0)

Then I purchased extended warrenty lol.

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #8 of 37 Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
I got myself a GS911, oil and a filter...and a Trox set to tighten down all the bolts..

They have till i get to 3, 600 miles to ride with no faults. =0)

Then I purchased extended warranty lol. 2 years unlimited miles

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #9 of 37 Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All, to be clear I did ask for them to check it out, a few times during the progression of the discussion- every time I mentioned / asked / hinted of checking the balance, the reaction was like a deer in headlights, When the final reply of " we can't legally test a bike at that speed" I stopped because if you think this is the only method of checking an out of balance condition, then I'm not sure anymore if I want you touching my bike any further..
someone here mentioned shop hours- what about it? if you can't do it today let me come back another day, and honestly that's BS- I just purchased a $27K bike from you, you should treat it as such, if you want me to come back at your establishment for my next one, or if you want me to recommend your dealership
What I will do is talk to another dealership in re: and go from there
Thank you all for your replies.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-15-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette View Post
$400? It's $600 in Las Vegas... consider yourself lucky

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Crap!! Yes I do... What do they want for a valve check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikracer99 View Post
****!!!!! Sorry you had to go through that, where was managements oversight with the frequent overturn of staff,
did they not realize there's still customers in the wing during these transitions? Friggin A**holes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page