BMW K1600 Forum banner

Anti-lock brakes and TC alerts

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  afhorsley 
#1 ·
Coming home from Americade, my bike starting showing the AB and TC alerts only when I am backing into a spot, while tethering the front brake lever. The lights come on solid, and don't go off unless I shut the bike off and on again. Then it works fine. If I ride off with the alerts on solid, I loose my cruise control and brake hold (makes sense).

Anyone else encounter this problem? I have 16K on my '16 GTL.

#2 · (Edited)
A wonky signal from one of the wheel speed sensors would disable TC, ABS, Cruise Control, and Hill Hold.

Not sure why it would do that only when you're going backwards though...

I wonder if a GS-911 would show you useful error codes?

#8 ·
Update: My front wheel speed sensor was the culprit. It affected my ALB, TC, and CC when I hit a bump. Also, when I punched it hard in 2nd gear, my bike dropped power and the TC light came on.

Reactions: Prince
#3 ·
is this foot powered reverse or bike reverse

#5 ·
Fred Flintstone style…2016

Careful, that’s how my problems started. When I really needed the brakes they didn’t fail, but they were so ineffective it did worry me. I could not stop when I needed to, nearly hitting kangaroos on a wet road...
Thanks. But if I start seeing Kangaroos in NY, then I think I have bigger problems that the Dealer can't fix :)

Reactions: Jonnybow
#4 · (Edited)
Careful, that’s how my problems started. When I really needed the brakes they didn’t fail, but they were so ineffective it did worry me. I could not stop when I needed to, nearly hitting kangaroos on a wet road...
The dealership claimed it was only a dodgy ABS sensor on the front wheel, but I believe more work was done. The best indication of an impending fail was a violent pulsing of the front brake lever.
I’d suggest getting it fixed ASAP.

See
https://www.k1600forum.com//forum/bmw-k1600-tech-performance-chat/185892-what-lemon-looks-like.html

https://www.k1600forum.com//forum/bmw-k1600-tech-performance-chat/185746-speed-abs-sensor.html

#6 ·
I had a very similar set of issues Tuesday on the way through Nashville with my 2018. Traction control, no cruise and the GPS went weird. Took it to bloodwork Wednesday morning. They read the faults, installed the latest ecu software. Service guy called it a recall. It fixed the problems. Best news is the Been tune stayed

#7 ·
They read the faults, installed the latest ecu software. Service guy called it a recall. It fixed the problems.
Interesting...

So we've now seen this issue on a '16 GTL, an '18 GTL, and maybe the same issue on an '18 B.

Hmm...

#10 ·
That's what the dealer suggested.

The only thing that bothered me, was that they are a major NE exclusive BMW dealer/shop, and they didn't have the part in stock. I asked them to "borrow" one from one of the dozen or so GTL/GT/GA/B models in their showroom to save me a second 150 trip and 5 hours magazine time, but they weren't willing to bend the rules a little.

So it took me 300 miles and 12 1/2 hours of my life that I'll never get back, to remedy a simple sensor replacement. Luckily I have a little time left on my warranty, $-wise.

#11 ·
2018 GTL. Same problems +. Within the first 500 miles had a front speed sensor failure. No Cruise/ABS. At 14,000 miles, last week, had a DTC Fault announced by a loss of power and a Flashing DTC light on the dash. Temporarily solved the issue by going into the menu and deselecting DTC. Cruise partially recovered except at lower speeds but sufficient for a 1,000 mile trip home on the European autobahns.

Took it into the dealer who could not find a fault with their diagnostic equipment although a test ride confirmed the fault.

They've now referred back to BMW for advice........any suggestions?

As an aside my oil consumption has increased from an historic 1 liter/2500kms since new to 1 liter/1,900kms. This has similarly been referred to BMW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.