I give up. Any basecamp experts want to earn some gas money? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I give up. Any basecamp experts want to earn some gas money?

I have tried to work with Basecamp and it apparently is beyond my ability.
I was trying to plan my first big trip from Spring Hill, Tn to Bar Harbor, Maine area and over to the Great Lakes and back home. I would like to ride on the best motorcycle roads along the route and in the areas I will be in.
I can spend up to 14 days on this trip and would like to go in October. I am willing to pay someone with the ability to plan this trip so I can put it into my Nav 5 . Yes I know I should work with it until I figure it out but life is to short. If you are interested, please PM me a price and any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 12:34 AM

Garage
There are some YouTube tutorials that are money. I watched on iPad while I had the laptop open and working on basecamp.

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #3 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
Basecamp tutorials are here ............ https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/learning-center/basecamp
However it's been rendered obsolete as a product now, which users were warned about 3/4 years back. I never use it personally; too much hassle & far too clunky, so I tend to plan through Google Maps & then plot the route direct into my old NavIV using a few way-points. Works well in Europe, as a means of avoiding fresh/emerging traffic problems too.

Another idea is to plan a route on Google Maps & convert it to gpx for downloading to your Garmin device using www.mapstogpx.com.

Alternatively you could try the H-D route planning system. Plan your route, or use another rider's suggestions; just check it out through the Harley website....https://maps.harley-davidson.com/

Last edited by squibb; 06-15-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 07:29 AM

Try Furkot (free) to plan your route. Export from Furkot to Garmin in GPX format. Import that GPX file into Basecamp and then SEND it to your device.

Note that when you import it into Basecamp, you will have to "play with it" to get it to work correctly with your Nav V: Make sure to change the routing only waypoints that you created in Furkot to DO NOT ALERT vias in Basecamp and only keep the waypoints for your planned stops.

I would also break the trip up into short legs consisting of one leg for each stop (1st morning leg, 2nd morning leg, 1st afternoon leg, etc..). That way if something is wrong, you only have 1 leg screwed up. I would also create a Favorite for each endpoint of each leg so that you can easily navigate to that point if you get way off route or somehow loose track of where you are - Just punch WHERE TO, hit FAVORITES and hit your desired destination.

If you are familiar with the peculiarities of the Trip Planner in the current generation of Garmins (Nav V and Nav VI), you already know that each waypoint is considered a destination so plan your routes to start somewhere down the road from where you actually start from on each leg or it will completely screw up your carefully planned routes.

If you can afford it, I would also buy a Zumo 660 or Nav IV as a backup - they do not have the Trip Planner feature. Last thing that you want to worry about on a long trip is navigation.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #5 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 AM

Sent you a PM

ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #6 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1959 View Post
I was trying to plan my first big trip from Spring Hill, Tn to Bar Harbor, Maine area and over to the Great Lakes and back home. Yes I know I should work with it until I figure it out but life is to short. If you are interested, please PM me a price and any questions.
I know many will step up to help however, you NEED to know some key places you want to go. That is what I my wife does. We talk, edit, add etc.
BUT, I've done your trip and encourage you to make "The Lake Michigan Circle Tour" Lake Michigan Circle Tour - Travel the Lake Michigan Circle Tour around Lake Michigan stopping at the various great towns and attractions along the way.
It is one of my 'do again' trips...

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #7 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM

I presently feel the same way you do about BT communication, however, I have used BC from day 1 and despite ite quirks has been my go to program for everything from day trips to this present 2 week trip Iím on. When I return home if you want to give it a try we can arrange a call and work on it simultaneously and then you can decide if you want to use it.

If you want to do that download the latest maps 2020.1 into your gps and the computer.

Ute's Chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia
post #8 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 AM

As with project planning, the real value is not just the smooth execution of said plan, but the understanding of whatís going to happen that you gain by constructing it. BaseCamp really isnít that difficult to work with, and the big advantage is that you donít have to worry about the cartography you use to plan your trip not perfectly matching that on your sat-nav. Itís worth persevering.

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
post #9 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
What is base camp?

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #10 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Route planning software for Garmin sat-nav's.

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page