Nav V Route Download question - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By squibb
  • 1 Post By Arizona Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Nav V Route Download question

OK Garmin gurus:
Is there a way to load a route from Google Maps (web based) directly onto the Nav 5 ? I'm just don't have the patience to search for each route city on the Nav 5 to load the route so I find it easier to do the route on my desktop but I haven't figured out how to load it onto the Garmin. Any ideas?

1979 KZ1000 E (gone) 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special (gone) BAD MOVE
1997 R1100RT (gone)
2002 R1150RT (gone)2002 R1150RT (gone)
2015 R1200RTW (gone) Fantastic but too camped
2016 GTL EXCL Dark Storm Metallic(Sweetest of them all)
2004 KTM 450 EXC Kawasaki Terex 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM

@Sodbuster , At the top of the page select "Tools", then select "Advanced Search", type in "Basecamp", and select "Search". Good luck.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Garage
https://mapstogpx.com/

Personally, I can't be bothered with Basecamp or the alternatives - to time consuming & clunky IMHO. I tend to use google maps to plan routes at the outset, but only simple way-points when programming the Nav for each days ride, making sure I pinpoint a road nearby, not a town centre, to avoid the risk of getting sent around in circles.
rush2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Unless Google Maps now offers the option of saving as a GPX file, then you cannot directly go from Google Maps to your Nav. I think there is a way to save it in Google Maps profile format and then load it in another app (the name of it escapes me - do a Google search) and then save as a GPX but I tried this a couple of years ago and my results were less than desirable.

I use Furkot now. I create my route in Furkot, import it into Basecamp, recalculate and then send to my connected Nav.

IMHO, Basecamp is a requirement to get an accurate GPX route and have your Nav V and VI follow that route as you intend. All other custom GPX solutions will have issues because they do not create all the 100s of Ghost Points like Basecamp and none that I am aware of will use Do Not Alert Vias either. So if you don't use Basecamp or at least load your GPX file into it and recalculate before you send it to your NAV, you will wind up with a point to point GPX file that your Nav will need to interpret between each and every waypoint and sometimes it will not always follow the roads that you want it to because it is missing all those Ghost Points along the roads. And, with the NAV V and VI, waypoints are considered destinations but that is a whole other discussion.

For an example of all the Ghost Points that Basecamp creates, look at a GPX file with a text editor and look at a GPX file that was created in Furkot or some other type. The Basecamp file is much larger and will show many, many more coordinates.

We were told that Basecamp is no longer supported by Garmin but they are supposedly coming out with an online mapping solution to replace it in the coming months.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Garage
I don't understand why people think creating a route in Basecamp is difficult and time consuming. All you have to do is click on the route creating icon, click on the starting point the ending point then enter and voila its created (fastest or shortest depending on the parameters set)

If you want to be routed through specific towns before your destination then click on your start point, each of your mid route waypoints then the final destination then enter and again that's it.

Make separate routes for each day of your ride, name them 1,2,3 Etc. download to your Garmin and go for a ride.

If you decide to move your route around you can do that fairly easy but some times that exercise can be a little frustrating. It's usually easier just to create a new one using my paragraph 2 and deleting your original.
AZK1600GTL likes this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 06-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page