Grand America Fly In and Ride Home review - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool Grand America Fly In and Ride Home review

Well, I just happened to take a test ride of a K1600B, thinking my riding days were done due to my bad back and just not enough suspension travel on my Ohlins modified CVO Ultra, to overcome these bad California roads. Well, Hallelujah! The ride, seating position, and appearance on the Grand America won me over! Unfortunately, I could not find the bike I wanted, in the bay area & Riverside BMW had the very bike I wanted ('18 GA loaded to the max with forged bars and wheels) at a great discount.

I flew down there Wednesday morning, was picked up by staff and taken to my waiting beauty. First thing I did, was put grip puppies on, while Jeff Nugent (Salesman extraordinaire) placed my Airhawk on the seat. All tanked up, risers installed, detailed, reserved & adorned with my name on it, and ready to hit the road. After a briefing on features and functions of this awesome machine, off I went.

I took a leisurely ride back up to Concord, putting approximately 4 hours in the saddle, then stopping at a hotel for the night, with glee in my mind and looking forward to taking off again in the morning for a few back road stops along the way home.

I'm very excited that I bought this beauty. Absolutely no regrets. I was not beaten up, which I would have been on my CVO. The CVO is 100 lbs heavier, 2" longer, and lower to the ground, which would seem to give it a slight advantage against some of the stiff cross winds coming over the grapevine or 99 north of Tulare. The sleek aerodynamics of the GA, excellent wind screen, and superb suspension, overcame a 100lb deficit, and higher stance. The GA held it's line in the sweeping turns against some ferocious wind gusts. Braking is absolutely predictable, measured (linked front), and just outstanding. Acceleration was thrilling, and a great advantage to get yourself in proper road placement, and avoid dangerous situations.

The things I did not particularly embrace, are: The highway boards seem angle too step for comfort, and I spent 95% of the time on the pegs. The hesitation in first gear, not that annoying but I plan to have that (Brent) tuned out. The turn signals did not seem to self cancel, but I got into the habit of canceling them, so not a big deal. Did not really try the shift pro, but if for some crazy reason I don't like it, I just ignore that feature.

I absolutely love this bike! I love the baggeresque style, which won me over, as a Harley aficionado for 40 plus years. I love the gold (Austin Yellow) paint with black, love the new seating position and comfortable reach to the (riser) forged bars! And great performance without having to spend so much money with performance add ons. There's plenty of carry storage, love the removable Garmin (like the CVO), and can't rave enough about the suspension settings, & reverse (are they crazy, giving me all this) too!

Music and GPS via my Cardo Freedom 2 is outstanding! I made an appointment for a ride in to Russell seats, so I can ditch my Airhawk for longer rides, might add a Wonderlich tour pack rack, perhaps some bag guards (always a good idea!), and if I get tired of the exhaust note (which thus far I love), add some Remus cans.

I've got my first service lined up (less than 3 bills, so not going to sweat it), and I'm looking for many more years of fun rides, on my beautiful Grand America, in Grand America!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_094408.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	129306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_173304.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	129308   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_173310.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	129310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_085022.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	129312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_110124.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	129314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_110134.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	129316   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_085115.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	129318  

Last edited by kingspoke; 06-22-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: type o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Pretty bike! Enjoy it.

CaliforniaJed
2016 K1600GTL in Black Storm Metallic
post #3 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Look at you! Matching bag too 😉. I dig the Austin Yellow and wait until you try the shift assist, you will get spoiled by the super fast and smooth shift. I have been ruined....Enjoy!!!
kingspoke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Great looking bike, happy your digging it.

I'm further Northern California. If your ever headed this way drop a message. Great roads in the foothills above Auburn.

Again, congratulations.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
kingspoke likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Congratulations from a fellow Bay Area K1600 enthusiast. It gets better every time you ride it

Dave no function beer well without
post #6 of 32 Old 06-22-2019, 07:17 PM

Talk about eye candy!! Congratulations.
post #7 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Arrow K1600 Grand America - Yes!!!

Thank you all, for the great comments, and I'm looking forward to more fun trips. I'm looking forward to riding up to Shasta Lake, for a RDL seat! Cheers!
post #8 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingspoke View Post
Well, I just happened to take a test ride of a K1600B, thinking my riding days were done due to my bad back and just not enough suspension travel on my Ohlins modified CVO Ultra, to overcome these bad California roads. Well, Hallelujah! The ride, seating position, and appearance on the Grand America won me over! Unfortunately, I could not find the bike I wanted, in the bay area & Riverside BMW had the very bike I wanted ('18 GA loaded to the max with forged bars and wheels) at a great discount.

I flew down there Wednesday morning, was picked up by staff and taken to my waiting beauty. First thing I did, was put grip puppies on, while Jeff Nugent (Salesman extraordinaire) placed my Airhawk on the seat. All tanked up, risers installed, detailed, reserved & adorned with my name on it, and ready to hit the road. After a briefing on features and functions of this awesome machine, off I went.

I took a leisurely ride back up to Concord, putting approximately 4 hours in the saddle, then stopping at a hotel for the night, with glee in my mind and looking forward to taking off again in the morning for a few back road stops along the way home.

I'm very excited that I bought this beauty. Absolutely no regrets. I was not beaten up, which I would have been on my CVO. The CVO is 100 lbs heavier, 2" longer, and lower to the ground, which would seem to give it a slight advantage against some of the stiff cross winds coming over the grapevine or 99 north of Tulare. The sleek aerodynamics of the GA, excellent wind screen, and superb suspension, overcame a 100lb deficit, and higher stance. The GA held it's line in the sweeping turns against some ferocious wind gusts. Braking is absolutely predictable, measured (linked front), and just outstanding. Acceleration was thrilling, and a great advantage to get yourself in proper road placement, and avoid dangerous situations.

The things I did not particularly embrace, are: The highway boards seem angle too step for comfort, and I spent 95% of the time on the pegs. The hesitation in first gear, not that annoying but I plan to have that (Brent) tuned out. The turn signals did not seem to self cancel, but I got into the habit of canceling them, so not a big deal. Did not really try the shift pro, but if for some crazy reason I don't like it, I just ignore that feature.

I absolutely love this bike! I love the baggeresque style, which won me over, as a Harley aficionado for 40 plus years. I love the gold (Austin Yellow) paint with black, love the new seating position and comfortable reach to the (riser) forged bars! And great performance without having to spend so much money with performance add ons. There's plenty of carry storage, love the removable Garmin (like the CVO), and can't rave enough about the suspension settings, & reverse (are they crazy, giving me all this) too!

Music and GPS via my Cardo Freedom 2 is outstanding! I made an appointment for a ride in to Russell seats, so I can ditch my Airhawk for longer rides, might add a Wonderlich tour pack rack, perhaps some bag guards (always a good idea!), and if I get tired of the exhaust note (which thus far I love), add some Remus cans.

I've got my first service lined up (less than 3 bills, so not going to sweat it), and I'm looking for many more years of fun rides, on my beautiful Grand America, in Grand America!
Looks great! Just an FYI...Bren tuning not Brent.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Welcome from the State of Jefferson (SOJ 51).
post #10 of 32 Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
...and so the love affair begins...
jkriner likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page