raising shifter - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

raising shifter

I have ilium boards but I am replacing them with modified boards which will require moving the shifter even higher. The adjustable shifter rod is too long. I have shaved it a bit but the rod now runs into housing when up shifting. I have rotated the spline lever but I think now I need to rotate it more downward which will mean an even short shifter rod is needed. I'm not sure the downward movement will provide enough clearance for the rod either. Any other solutions folks have used.

2016 K1600 GTL

Last edited by a2wheelerte; 07-08-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Needs more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 AM

Garage
The short throw shift kit sold by @MULLACCMNOD uses a bell crank, maybe that will give you some ideas on how to solve the problem, I have never even looked at the ilium boards so I have no reference on whether this will work or not as a starting point.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks that looks interesting. I see Mc Masters has some rods of various lengths. I'll check the current length and estimate what I think a shorter one should be. Need to check diameter and thread count too. That bell crank does move things away from housing but then I still need to find short rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2wheelerte View Post
Thanks that looks interesting. I see Mc Masters has some rods of various lengths. I'll check the current length and estimate what I think a shorter one should be. Need to check diameter and thread count too. That bell crank does move things away from housing but then I still need to find short rods.
You can always get longer ones and add threads where needed.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
I had the same issue with the Ilium boards and installed the DMAC short throw shift kit and it is completely adjustable. Solved the problem, likewise though you will need to replace the brake lever with adjustable one from Ilium. Wish they would tell you that when you order the boards. But, the boards do lower the foot position about 2" for more comfort. I do drag in a steep turn especially if my toe is under shifter. Now all I need to do is upgrade to the RDL seat and solve the audio issue and the world will be all right!

2016 K1600GTLE-C4 Tipover Bars,Ryan's Risers
Ilium Pegs,Floorboards,Shifter Extension,Adjustable Brake Lever
DMAC Shift Kit,Fenda Extenda,Aeroflow Headlight Protector
Remus Headers and Exhaust
post #6 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Look up my discription on how to make a short throw shifter ,it will clear the clutch slave cylinder and the cost is about $1 . One end of the stock rod on my older GT has right hand threads and the other is left hand thread . My modified rod gave a 20 mm stroke and as stated cost very little money compared to the bell crank method which adds two more rod ends to wear .
post #7 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2wheelerte View Post
I have ilium boards but I am replacing them with modified boards which will require moving the shifter even higher. The adjustable shifter rod is too long. I have shaved it a bit but the rod now runs into housing when up shifting. I have rotated the spline lever but I think now I need to rotate it more downward which will mean an even short shifter rod is needed. I'm not sure the downward movement will provide enough clearance for the rod either. Any other solutions folks have used.

2016 K1600 GTL

You do know that you can adjust both ends of that shifting rod for length.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARS View Post
Look up my discription on how to make a short throw shifter ,it will clear the clutch slave cylinder and the cost is about $1 . One end of the stock rod on my older GT has right hand threads and the other is left hand thread . My modified rod gave a 20 mm stroke and as stated cost very little money compared to the bell crank method which adds two more rod ends to wear .
To save a few seconds of keyboard mashing, here is the link @GARS mentioned.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #9 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes, actually both adjust at the same time. I have the Ilium boards and have modified them to raise the toe portion 1 inch. That required shifting the spline lever one notch which raised shifter then I had to dial in the position I wanted with the rod.

I still think the board points to far down in front. I have a new board with modified attachments that put the board a little further forward and one more inch upward. Not quite enough room to adjust shifter upward where I want it. One more notch movement of the lever makes things run into the housing. I put it back to one notch from original and I was able to cut off 1/4 inch of the threads from each side. That gives me about what I need to ride in tennis shoes (aarg). I do have enough room to raise the shifter to what I want but then it presses against the housing and does not operate correctly. So the offset of the rod may be what I need like GARS. I need to test ride what I have. I can adjust my board further back and down a little.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

I can't get the shifter to support where is it is comfortable with my new boards. So I reinstalled my Ilium boards for now (which have a 1 inch rise in the front). I will have to plan an attack on this shifter rod to give me flexibility. I had also thought about having a custom shifter peg made that puts the peg about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher, then my rod adjustment would be fine.

Last edited by a2wheelerte; 07-10-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page