Another Bike Tragedy - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another Bike Tragedy

A tragic error in judgement by one rider caused a horrendous accident that kills four.

This didn't make national news. I know this area well because I lived nearby when in Southern California. Santiago Canyon is accessible from local toll roads. It rolls down from the Orange Hills to the north. I lived nearby in Anaheim Hills. To the south, there's a popular biker bar/diner called Cooks Corner. You can also make your way further south through the hills to Ortega Highway, a popular motorcycle route, and from there H3ll's Kitchen, another popular biker bar/diner.

The area of the accident is near Irvine Lake and consists of wide fast sweepers which can transition from light to shadow.

Unfortunately, we can't go back into the mind of the rider. I would have no qualms passing a car like he did. But what did he see / not see when he decided to pass? Was he in light or shadow? Where was the sun? Was he travelling on level ground? Going uphill/downhill? Was the road curving?

I don't like to guess, but I have to think it happened quickly. If either rider had a chance to react, two bikes can pass each other in the lane, and that's why I think it happened quickly. For some reason, he just must not have realized another bike was right there in the lane when he made his move. Tragic.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/0...-canyon-crash/
Gunnert and PLAGUE like this.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
I read about this and was deeply saddened. No animals. No unconscious box operators. Operator error. Boo for us.
Gunnert likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #3 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Visibility, visibility, visibility. I consider the Baja Design Squadron Pros with amber lenses to be as much a safety feature on the GT as I do ABS.

Duane
C 4, kotr, capav8r and 2 others like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
That is a sad deal, just a reminder of how short life can be and to be more alert

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
capav8r likes this.
post #5 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
Did he come up on the vehicle he was attempting to pass to make the pass quicker, making it harder to see someone coming from the opposite direction near the yellow line? And while it sounds silly, did they both zig and/or zag at the same time? I've had that happen, but where we both see each other on a narrow, one-lane road, apply brakes and/or engine brake, look like we're doing synchronized riding for 3 -4 zigzags, and then finally pass each other at tractor speed to be safe. Plus, it's just harder to maneuver quickly on a big cruiser with a pillion.

Incredibly sad. But thanks for sharing it. We all need to see each one of these tragedies and try to learn whatever we can from it. Here, my first reaction is how often I am looking to avoid distracted cagers, and even as a motorcyclist myself, avoiding bikes is not what I check for first. Here, before I did anything, I'd be looking into the car to see if the driver was on a cell phone or was otherwise distracted. Of course, there's no way in heck IF someone tried to pass on a blind/near blind curve with short visibility, I'd ever do that. Although again, my first fear there would be an oncoming car or truck, not a bike.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #6 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Won't let me read the article without subscribing?

Mark
SCPO USN (ret)
2017 GSA
post #7 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Won't let me read the article without subscribing?
Works fine in Chrome on my end - what browser are you using?

Sometimes if you hit page back and reload or a page refresh those popups that block the text will not reappear.

Not sure why but those Newspaper and News station websites are among the worst for popups.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #8 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Patience, patience, patience. You don’t have to always pass every car that happens to be in front of you
kotr, Harryjames and Lenny167 like this.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #9 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
It had some national coverage, as I saw it a couple times on different news feeds. I had only seen the preliminary reporting and wondered what would cause it. I was thinking one drifted wide on a blind corner. I read now that it was likely a passing maneuver. So sad and tragic for the four and their loved ones. I have to concur...visibility and conspicuity might have made a difference. I can't imagine the passer left his lane knowing another bike was heading his direction. RIP.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); 76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); 83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #10 of 73 Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Visibility, visibility, visibility. I consider the Baja Design Squadron Pros with amber lenses to be as much a safety feature on the GT as I do ABS.

Duane
I agree. I have amber running lights on my GTL.

This tragedy exemplifies why I always move to the right side of my lane when meeting traffic. It gives me a little more time to react if the oncoming vehicle crosses the line or another one pulls out from behind it and crosses into my lane. Also, it makes me more visible to another vehicle that behind the first one. I can also see a little better what may be behind the oncoming vehicle. We can't be perfectly safe, but we can change the odds a bit.
Gunnert, RefCat, dobervol and 1 others like this.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page