Yet another annoying thing about my K1600 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Yet another annoying thing about my K1600

So, I will start by saying I love this bike! There's just certain things I think BMW should have done better, such as improve the Bluetooth, the pull to the left, and now the Nav VI. So I debated for about 4 months on whether or not I should spend the $900 on a Garmin! Even if it is modified to use the wheel and integrates into the dash... $900 is stupid money no matter how you slice it. But I finally did, and it's everything I thought it would be, just an overpriced GPS. To add insult to injury, its offset ti the right by about 1/8 of an inch in the dash. Took it to my dealer and we tried it in about 4 K's in the showroom and they were all offset to the right! He has no solution. Has anyone else seen this with the Nav VI?

1982 Honda CB900F
2011 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 BMW K1600GTL
2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
Not sure what model you have, but there was an updated dashboard that came out part way through the 2018 year for the gtl, not sure when for other models. What you are describing is the common symptom for putting a vi in an opening designed for a v.

Regards, Bob
post #3 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkschmidt View Post
Not sure what model you have, but there was an updated dashboard that came out part way through the 2018 year for the gtl, not sure when for other models. What you are describing is the common symptom for putting a vi in an opening designed for a v.

Regards, Bob
I would think that if they were putting it into bikes in the showroom, they'd all be current model year bikes (or close).
Gunnert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkschmidt View Post

Regards, Bob
I have a 2018. I asked about the updated dash and he lead me to believe all the 2018's had the updated dash.

1982 Honda CB900F
2011 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 PM

Garage
I bought the nav when. I got my ga. I wasn't happy with it. It just a rebrand Garmin nuvi with very little bike integration. I have started another thread that I'm building a unit to replace the Navi that will support Android auto.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM

My 2019 GT is offset to the right, never noticed until I mounted my Radar Detector in the center of the dash, it then was quite obvious.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
HAhahah I know exactly what your talking about my friend. When I got mine in the mail it was offset to the right a bit and i was like WTF am i still suppose to see the BMW logo on the left as well?.....

Over time I must say it's not going to bother you at all and certain angles on the bike you wont really see it. You will really see it if your on the kick stand or center stand but not the much. That was the least of my issues and totally agree blue tooth is garbage.my Kia optima has better blue tooth lol and thats saying alot!

Wish they would have put bulbs in the side panniers as well shoot harley does it =0)
Morgan and Harryjames like this.

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #8 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryjames View Post
So, I will start by saying I love this bike! There's just certain things I think BMW should have done better, such as improve the Bluetooth, the pull to the left,
When you say "Pull to the left" that is a serious issue that needs to be looked at. It's either tires or something bigger the bike should not pull to the left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Morgan and mlheck like this.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
I got the dash replaced under warranty on my 2018. But if the parts guy would have ordered by the vin, it would have been the same. Had to look up by generic year and do some work for it, same with the blank cover for it. Also there are different finishes and colors for different models/ colors, so be wary of someone handing you a part number for theirs. Unpainted black is about $60, my painted one was about $230.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Kirner View Post
When you say "Pull to the left" that is a serious issue that needs to be looked at. It's either tires or something bigger the bike should not pull to the left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Well the pull to the left is a fairly common issue with this bike, some have it, some don't. When I inquired the response was "you should never ride without your hand on the bars!". I believe that's been their goto response since they don't know what to do about it and BMW doesn't have a fix.
Morgan and Brian_Kirner like this.

1982 Honda CB900F
2011 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page