3Likes
  • 1 Post By KCMO Steve
  • 1 Post By Gunnert
  • 1 Post By Gunnert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Changing top front brake line

I have a K1600GT and replaced the top brake line with a brake line from a GTL. Iím having difficulty getting the screw that holds the top brake line to the steering head (where it connects to the Lowe brake line to the modulated) installed. My fingers are two big and the angles to tight. I have dropped the screw several times (like a dozen times). The BMW manual has nothing on replacing that brake line. It only has instructions for replacing the lower front brake line to the modulator (at least that all I have found). Anyone replaced the upper line and figured out a way to get the screw back in, or is removing everything, including the gas tank for access the solution. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Try taking the tank plastic off, first just the top right section and see if you get better clearance for your fingers. I did what you're doing several years ago and don't remember if just the top right section was enough or I had to also take the center piece off. Center piece off means the other pieces have to come off first. It's a fairly easy job to take the plastic off.
Clknapp likes this.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 PM

I replaced mine with a custom made line to accommodate a Brembo Corta Corso Master Cylinder. I too have large hands, size XXL gloves. I removed the top tupperware and yes, it was a PIA. If I remember correctly I replaced the torx screw with a hex head bolt.

Duane
Clknapp likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
how about looping a cable tie round the thread to allow fine control and cut it off once it is running

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
how about looping a cable tie round the thread to allow fine control and cut it off once it is running
A large pair of forceps works better for starting a bolt/screw.

Duane
Clknapp likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page