Solo Rider or With Someone? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Solo Rider or With Someone?

My darling wife (a sociology professor by trade) and I were talking about bikes, bike trips and whether or not a wife/GF/BF/husband ride with you some of the time, all of the time or rarely/never.

Are you a solo rider who is glad he/she is? Or do you wish for companionship on the back seat?

My wife is currently in the "rarely" category, but is being won over by the K1600 passenger accommodations.

So the question is, do you fly solo or with a companion and how often?

If your SO doesn't ride with you ever and/or rarely, tell me why. Are they fearful? Hate bikes in general? Ride their own? Hate being with you?

In my case, I've had spouses who passenger'd and ones who rode their own bikes. Being generally acceptable to motorcycles has always been a criteria for me when dating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
My wife has ridden with me, but she's not a fan. And I think she liked the VTX better anyway. I didn't even bother with any passenger comfort mods on my new GT. Would be a waste of money.

She rides horses, hunters. I always tell her she would like her own ride. She has an electric two-wheel scooter she rides around the horse parks. But that's it. I used to mind it, but I don't anymore. What I once thought were lemons, I now look at as lemonade. She rides her horse on most weekends, and I ride mine. My shoulder and ribs are never sore when I go too fast. And my helmet is filled with sweet music instead of whines and moans.

The biggest drawback is that I don't do much touring. I don't want to spend my vacation time away on my own. At least not all of it anyway. We're going on a Mediterranean cruise this fall instead of a motorcycle cruise.

Wait! Did I say that was a drawback? See, lemons into lemonade.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
post #3 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 PM

I prefer riding with my wife over solo, always. She realizes how much I like to ride. She's a great passenger that I'm sure loves me more than she loves riding and almost never complains. For long trips like going out west from Virginia my wife flies out/back. I tell others that for 2 people that 'like' each other nothing is more fun than touring on a motorcycle. When I met my wife I was already a hard core biker and she'd never ridden one. I 'broke' her in slow to make sure she'd enjoy riding. I also made her a promise that I'd never go any where on the bike without her if she wanted to go. I do take trips without her but only because she can't get enough time off work.

Duane
capav8r, MWNahas, Prince and 7 others like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 07-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Garage
I enjoy the whole shabang. My wife loves to ride solo the best but depending on a mood I guess, or the desire to just sightsee, will ride on the back of mine from time to time. I love both ways.

She doesn't like to go out for her own solo ride but will almost always ride along with me on her bike, which is good for me for I never feel guilty taking out mine when she is just as excited to go on hers.

She is a good rider, gets into it and truly loves it so all is good in this home.

My 20 yr old daughter loves to ride on the back of mine, haven't done anything long and serious, just around some country back roads.

Everyone likes the back of the K and with good passenger skills, its a ton of fun riding with them.
PLAGUE likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
I ride solo 75% of the time and two- up 25%. My wife rides and also enjoys being a passenger on long touring trips. My solo riding is both ADV and IBA long distance riding, primarily on a GSA with no passenger seat. All of the two up is done on the comfort of the GTL. Would love to increase the two up time touring but competing work schedules prohibit it for now. My wife and I have been touring on MC for many years and have worked through most of the obvious likes and dislikes. One observation I have made over the years is; even though many non riders are always ready to engage in conversation about you and your bike whether solo or two-up. That when you are a couple riding, whether you are each solo, or two- up on a touring bike, people come out of the woodwork to talk. May just be the approachability factor?
post #6 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
I specifically bought my GA for two up riding. I had a Suzuki Bandit before this and it was not very comfortable for the wife. We went and test rode a GA and she and I feel in love. Her favorite part is her heated seat.

So far she has done a 300 mile trip with me. And loves it. We have done some shorter rides and she loves it.

She is not always with me as I do have some guy trips.

But she has no issue just getting on and going.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
I have three bikes for two up riding but the triumph Tiger 1050 is actually terrible at that so that is just my bike to get away by myself it’s like easy to operate and I can even throw it in the truck if I want fairly easily My Harley and my BMW are just for the wife and I and I can’t hardly use those alone even if I wanted to she always wants to go. Lol. Actually I prefer riding 2 Up Most of the time we like to hang together

2018 BMW GA
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050
2018 Benelli 135 TNT
post #8 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 PM

Had gf that bought me my 1st BMW - the k1200lt. She rode about 4 miles in two trips on in the next five years.

Messed up her hair, earrings... Too hot. Too cold. "I'm taking my car?" In short, there was nothing she liked about it.

When we broke up, she swore she would never date a guy who rides a mc again.

Maybe bc on our road trips "together," I would often find a reason that I should just take my mc. Or the days (weeks) I would go for ride. She was always invited.

But likely, it was me.

So I am solo rider, unless someone here has a cute sister?
post #9 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 PM

Garage
Kudos to your X GF buying you a BMW for a gift. I can't recall any gifts I got from my X GF's
post #10 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
My wife and I just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. She bought me my first motorcycle when we were engaged and I've had at least one in the garage every day since then. Back in the day we only did day rides do to kids and work and such. Later when the kids left home we did several week long trips 2 up but in the past 7 years, since retirement, she has only done a few long weekend trips with me. She prefers other forms of vacation and does those a lot with our daughter and grand daughters.

We are doing a couples ride to the Durango area Labor Day weekend which will be the first time in at least 3 or more years. I've has my current bike for 1 1/2 years and she rode on it one day. It's not that she is afraid or hates motorcycles it's just that there is no thrill for her and sitting in the back staring at my helmet isn't much fun. Then there is the it's too hot or too cold thing.

The good thing is she doesn't care if I take a lot of trips during the year or how long I'm gone just as long as I call her every now and then. When asked at our recent anniversary party how we stayed together so long she replied "separate vacations" (we do take care trips together).

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page