Grand America Speed Limitation mis-information (re-post) - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Grand America Speed Limitation mis-information (re-post)

There is mis-information being circulated across this and other Forums that the Grand America speed is limited by BMW due to a known stability issue at high speed, which is not true. BMW didn't release the K16B GA for production knowing that it has high speed stability issues. BMW limits the speed on their K1600B Bagger/GA because of the Foot Boards.

If you read the Owners Manual, the reason for the speed limitation is because the Foot Boards do not have Shifter and Brake controls. They view this as a potential safety risk during high speed riding because the Rider has to re-position their feet under emergency situations, which could cause loss of control during very high speed maneuvering. That's why the GTL doesn't have that restriction....it doesn't come standard with Floor Boards.

As far as Grand America susceptibility to air turbulence, it's no different than any other large bike with a windshield and passenger trunk, (especially w/o a passenger). The more surface area the bike has the more it can be affected by air turbulence and cross winds. Did you ever ride a bike with a handlebar mounted wind screen.....lots of fun in high winds and especially behind Tractor Trailers. Throw in some Cross Winds, and you're in for a real treat.
If you're riding behind a Tractor Trailer on your Grand America and the air turbulence makes you nervous, you're in the wrong lane or too close to the Trailer, but you have the option of changing lanes, twist the throttle and say bye-bye.

I don't routinely ride at high speeds with my GA like I did with my Concours 1400, but I've ridden my Grand America to 100 mph a couple of times with no stability issues both in Cruise (soft suspension) mode and Road/Dynamic (stiffer suspension) mode. I'll admit, Road/Dynamic mode handles wind buffeting better than Cruise mode. Even my C14 wiggled behind Tractor Trailers and on windy days at high speeds. It's part of the riding experience. Also some Riders are more sensitive to bike feed back during turbulence than other riders. If it bothers you, slow down and ride at a speed that makes you comfortable. Better yet, get off the Interstate and do some back road curve carving. That's much more fun than riding behind Tractor Trailers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW GA Riding Spec..pdf (28.1 KB, 46 views)

Kevin
Massachusetts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 PM

Garage
Thank you for your post I’m sure it will relieve a few people that would be worried BMW has something incorrect about the bike

2018 BMW GA
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050
2018 Benelli 135 TNT
post #3 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
I am pretty sure it also has to do with the trunk as well. Pop yours open and there is a sticker in there talks about speed. I am away so I can't look at what it says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 PM

Doesn't the front brake lever activate front and rear brakes? So, doesn't that counter the "safety" claim? I could activate both front and rear with the brake lever, never removing my feet from the floorboards. Seems floorboards would be no different that highway pegs.
Spur man and Bill Ward like this.

Last edited by TigerGA; 07-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
So it's safe at 105 mph but not at 110 mph?
Darbinco, amorley, BMWGuy and 1 others like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #6 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 PM

The top box on the GA is not meant to be removed which is probably why they limit the speed and this speed limiter is consistent with the warnings in the optional/removable top boxes on the GT/GTL.

You would have to ask BMW why the B is limited to ~120 mph. Floorboards are optional on the B, although most have them. Mine does not have them and it came from BMW that way. Although I have yet to test it, I suspect my B is limited to 120 mph and I am OK with that.

BTW, there are several threads on this.
firstime911 likes this.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT

Last edited by WillH; 07-16-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 01:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
The top box on the GA is not meant to be removed which is probably why they limit the speed and this speed limiter is consistent with the warnings in the optional/removable top boxes on the GT/GTL.
Even BMW isn’t completely consistent across warnings. My 2019 GT Manual warns me to slow down if I buy the optional top case, and so does the sticker in the case itself, but the sticker advises limiting yourself to a lower speed than does the manual.

Because the GT manual only advises you to ride with caution and common sense when you do NOT have a top case on, you’re free to go as fast as most sane people ever would...so perhaps the GTL topcase should have a second sticker which reads, “If you take this off, however, feel free to go as fast as you want.”

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #8 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 AM

All BMW RT, GT, etc top cases have the speed limit warning label.

Duane
Spur man likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #9 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 AM

I still don't get the problem with the top box either. My GTL rolls straight as an arrow at 128mph (per GPS, speedo exaggerateds) through most of a tank of gas (but you'll only get about 130-140 miles out of a tank, max, so it doesn't really help much on a long run.) It seemed to be limited to 138mph (per GPS) in Road mode, but for a very brief moment in Dynamic mode it once climbed to 158mph (per GPS), with no noticeable change in handling, and it felt like it had more to give right up until that exact point, which makes me suspect some kind of limiter is still at play.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
Even BMW isnt completely consistent across warnings. My 2019 GT Manual warns me to slow down if I buy the optional top case, and so does the sticker in the case itself, but the sticker advises limiting yourself to a lower speed than does the manual.

Because the GT manual only advises you to ride with caution and common sense when you do NOT have a top case on, youre free to go as fast as most sane people ever would...so perhaps the GTL topcase should have a second sticker which reads, If you take this off, however, feel free to go as fast as you want.
My point was that since the GA top case is "non-removeable", BMW practiced what it preached so to speak and a hard speed limiter was placed on the bike rather than simply putting labels and warnings. They might have opened themselves up to lawsuits and governmental issues by putting a top box on a bike that by their own historical warnings makes the bike less safe above certain speeds and then not limit the bike to a threshold below that certain speed. I am not a lawyer but that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. This is sort of like the Navigation/GPS devices in our cars/trucks that used to just display a warning message and now they simply block you out once you get rolling.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page