10Likes
  • 7 Post By afhorsley
  • 3 Post By afhorsley

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
DTC Failure

Hi all,

Thought the following may be of interest.

Whilst on a recent trip experienced DTC Failure manifested by a loss of power in a sharp, 1st gear, 180 degree turn, up a steep hill, two up and loaded with full luggage. Not an experience I'd care to repeat. The loss of power very nearly caused a low speed tip over as I powered out of the turn only saved, more by instinct than skill, by slipping the clutch revving her up and powering away.

Initially I thought the engine itself had developed a fault but once stopped noticed the DTC light on the dash was flashing rapidly. Tried pulling away uphill on a straight away, same problem. Reduced power as if the engine had developed a fault and was not pulling. Switched the ignition off for a couple of minutes thinking this may reset the problem, no joy. Then remembered that the DTC is switchable. Went into the menu and selected it off. Problem solved, road the bike for 2,500kms all the way home from UK to Austria. The only subsequent issue was that the Cruise Control was unreliable especially at lower speeds.

Once home took her to the dealer who put the bike on the diagnostics......no fault registered. The DTC light was still flashing rapidly, they took her for a test run and confirmed the problem. After consultation with BMW a new Yaw Sensor was ordered along with front and rear Speed Sensors as a back up should the replacement Yaw Sensor not fix the problem. I'm told the Yaw Sensor costs $700, thank god I took a 5 year service/parts and labour package when I bought the bike 12 months ago. Anyway after a couple of days the parts duly arrived. The new Yaw Sensor fixed the problem.

The GTL was also given a 10,000kms service, new Air Filter, Transmission Oil, Engine Oil and Filter ete etc. Cost $0 thanks to the service package once again. The package cost me about $1,800 but boy Oh boy is it worth it. So far the dealer (EuroMotors Graz Austria, great guys pro-active, proffesional and friendly, nothing is too much trouble) have serviced the bike and replaced numerous parts cost $0. The GTL is 12 months old with 24,000kms (about 15000 miles) on her.

Am off on a 15,000km trip to Norway in 4 days, can't wait. Hopefully the bike will do its customary magic and keep that ear to ear going all the way.

Safe riding.

Regards,

Tony

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Glad you're fixed and back up and running.

While I know warranty coverage varies from country to country, does the base BMW warranty not cover you for this repair in full, parts and labor, in Austria? I'm pretty sure with such a new bike, the basic warranty here in the States would cover this one completely.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Am sure the 2 year warranty given by BMW UK would have covered the replacement. However the package extends everything to 5 years including ALL services. I've done 15,000 miles in the last 12 months and am just about to do another 8-10k on my forthcoming trip. Service costs alone have virtually paid the cost of the package so am more than happy with the deal. Although it was a hefty lump to pay initially am so glad I did if only for the peace of mind it offers ie. no unexpected huge bills
Gunnert, earthling and dobervol like this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Wish BMW offered that extended service/warranty here in the states. Here we can buy a third party extended service contract but not one that covers scheduled service as well.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Long story short. I bought my 2018 GTL in the UK as a retirement present, (I'm a Brit) but travel extensively around Europe. I also have a house in Austria. When I first took the bike for service in Graz, Austria they were not familiar with the service package either. However a quick call to BMW and we were all set to go. Since then its worked out that BMW Graz have done all but the first service and all the warranty work as well. No quibbles just great service, costs $0 (apart from the initial payment)

I understand from my Austrian dealer that they too, as of 2019, are now offering the package. Maybe it will come to the States in the future.......an additional bonus is that the package can be extended once the 5 years is up. The attached link summarizes the benefits, all of which BMW have honoured so far.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/of...inclusive.html

There is one dark cloud on the horizon, my GTL has used oil since day one. Initially at around 1 quart per 1,500 miles. Its getting worse and is now consuming this very expensive liquid at a rate of 1 quart per 1,200 miles. After consultation with BMW my dealer in Austria will weigh the oil in the bike post service, seal the oil cap, let me ride for 600 miles then re-weigh to accurately assess usage. What will happen after that is as yet unclear. None of this will happen until September when I return from a 6 week, 8,000 mile, bike/camping/fishing tour of Scandinavia......accompanied by an oil tanker The dealer tells me they need to order in special equipment to do the oil consumption test and so the delay until my return from my latest adventure. BMW have stated they are happy for me to do the trip before the assessment goes ahead. I will post the results of the test and BMW's remedy when complete ..... god knows where the oil is going. no leaks, no smoke, air filter dry, and no oil in the drain line???

Safe riding.

Regards,

Tony

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afhorsley View Post
Long story short. I bought my 2018 GTL in the UK as a retirement present, (I'm a Brit) but travel extensively around Europe. I also have a house in Austria. When I first took the bike for service in Graz, Austria they were not familiar with the service package either. However a quick call to BMW and we were all set to go. Since then its worked out that BMW Graz have done all but the first service and all the warranty work as well. No quibbles just great service, costs $0 (apart from the initial payment)

I understand from my Austrian dealer that they too, as of 2019, are now offering the package. Maybe it will come to the States in the future.......an additional bonus is that the package can be extended once the 5 years is up. The attached link summarizes the benefits, all of which BMW have honoured so far.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/of...inclusive.html

There is one dark cloud on the horizon, my GTL has used oil since day one. Initially at around 1 quart per 1,500 miles. Its getting worse and is now consuming this very expensive liquid at a rate of 1 quart per 1,200 miles. After consultation with BMW my dealer in Austria will weigh the oil in the bike post service, seal the oil cap, let me ride for 600 miles then re-weigh to accurately assess usage. What will happen after that is as yet unclear. None of this will happen until September when I return from a 6 week, 8,000 mile, bike/camping/fishing tour of Scandinavia......accompanied by an oil tanker The dealer tells me they need to order in special equipment to do the oil consumption test and so the delay until my return from my latest adventure. BMW have stated they are happy for me to do the trip before the assessment goes ahead. I will post the results of the test and BMW's remedy when complete ..... god knows where the oil is going. no leaks, no smoke, air filter dry, and no oil in the drain line???

Safe riding.

Regards,

Tony
some has been noted to escape into the final drive through a poor installation of a seal

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page