Test rode the 2018 GA & GTL - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1325 View Post
The GA see if it pulls to the left on both bikes.

Honesly i wanted the machine bars as well and i am so glad i didnt get it. So much easier to mount more then one accessories onto the handlebars. With the machine brand you have to get a specific mount for those and you cant mount as much . Right now i have mounted a cell phone go pro and cup holder with ease on my handle bars..with room to spare. Gtl cant do that.
I didn't notice the pull as some of you have described in these threads. Both bikes I test rode were flawless. I have been really trying to be as thorough as I can on my research. This forum has been a big blessing. Even the wife is doing her homework as well on these bikes. Good point on the bars, can't mount anything on the machined bars so that's something to think about as well.

It'll buff outů...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWNahas View Post
Had a GTL now a GA. Wife likes the GA better for her back and less wind to her helmet and her back. The GA back rest is solid also. Pegs are lower so it's easier to get up on the GA. She's happy, then we are happy.

Now if only the BMW would remake the LT with the 1600 engine.
Good point on the mount/dismount on the GA. The wife had an easier time getting on/off the GA. The GTL it was easy to get on the bike but had a tad difficulty getting off the GTL. Something to think about. Thanks.

It'll buff outů...
post #13 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asinop View Post
Ilium Works rear passenger adjustable floorboards will fix the passenger's leg running into the case issue on on the GTL. gives you 3" of adjustibility. I had that issue as well, but easily solvable. I assume you may be working with the folks in The Woodlands, as they have several new/used ones to choose, Don't forget the guys down in S. Houston as well. Less inventory, but good pricing. They have served me well over the years.

On the GTL - you may want to ask if you want/need reverse gear and shift-assist pro or not - which wasn't added until 2018. For me, I didn't have a major issue forgoing either at first, but since I have both I will say reverse has come in handy. As for the shift assist - nice, but I can get smoother shifts manually than it can many times. Others will also say that the 2012-16 have better fuel mapping because of the older Euro emissions requirements. Fixable, but if you can, ride one in that vintage to compare to the newer generation to see if it matters to you.
I did visit the guys at Premium in the Woodlands. Nice guys & knowledgeable. I also did go to Gulf Coast where they had the white GTL (I had to see it in person). I went to Mancuso to do the test ride on the GA & GTL. Sales guy there was super nice but I don't think I will buy from Mancuso (bad experience the last time I bought a bike there).

It'll buff outů...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
When it comes to buying motorcycles my preferences and needs come before my wife's and she knows it. I have to be comfortable first and it's got to be a bike I want to ride and love to ride. That's not to say she doesn't have choices or preferences which does somewhat weigh on the decision making process but they are secondary.

Example. If she loved the GA and liked the GTL.. since I've got ergo (and some aesthetic) problems with the GA.... she's gonna learn to love the GTL.

Also.. If I loved the handling of the GTL but gave it up because she liked the back seat better on a GA... I'd always be riding a bike I liked instead of loved. I would be thinking about that GTL every time I laid eyes on or throw a leg over the GA. How I thought the GTL handled better would be constantly on my mind. It's like being content instead of throughly satisfied or like winning a race but taking home the second place trophy.

I rode Road Glides for many years and finally needed a change. 5 years ago this October I brought home a bike I loved to ride. I love it more today than I did 5 years ago, so much so I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
bobbyd and Longdraw like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #15 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
When it comes to buying motorcycles my preferences and needs come before my wife's and she knows it. I have to be comfortable first and it's got to be a bike I want to ride and love to ride. That's not to say she doesn't have choices or preferences which does somewhat weigh on the decision making process but they are secondary.

Example. If she loved the GA and liked the GTL.. since I've got ergo (and some aesthetic) problems with the GA.... she's gonna learn to love the GTL.

Also.. If I loved the handling of the GTL but gave it up because she liked the back seat better on a GA... I'd always be riding a bike I liked instead of loved. I would be thinking about that GTL every time I laid eyes on or throw a leg over the GA. How I thought the GTL handled better would be constantly on my mind. It's like being content instead of throughly satisfied or like winning a race but taking home the second place trophy.

I rode Road Glides for many years and finally needed a change. 5 years ago this October I brought home a bike I loved to ride. I love it more today than I did 5 years ago, so much so I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
The wife says I need to be most comfortable. So whatever I decide she will be okay with it. Just wanted everyone's perspective. But yeah since I will be on the bike at times without her so it's up to me and my decision. Like you said "she will learn to love the GTL"
Darbinco likes this.

It'll buff outů...
post #16 of 43 Old 08-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
I understand your point. A part of me feels exactly as you described.

BUT, I made one motorcycle purchase more for my wife's needs than mine, and I've never regretted it. Long story short, my RT was destroyed in an accident, and I got to a point where I was ready to ride again. I decided I wanted another RT because I loved the old one. My wife never really liked the RT for 2-up riding, but she put up with it. Well, the day we go to the BMW dealer to write a check, my wife disappears as I'm drooling over the new RT that was going to have my name on it. I look up and see her on the other end of the showroom staring at an LT with a big smile on her face. I walk over, and she says "I want this one. It looks much more comfortable than the RT". Up to then, I'd never given any thought to a LT. They were big, heavy and really not matched to the kind of sport riding I loved. Still, I took it out for a test ride and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. It was actually pretty nice once in motion. I decided then that I wanted her to be as comfortable as possible for the 2,000+ mile rides we frequently did, and ended up taking that bike home.

I'm happy I made that choice after seeing the new enjoyment she found. And that LT grew on me the more I rode it. When it came time to retire the LT, the GTL was going to be the choice no matter what. But somehow I didn't think she'd have any issues. I was right.
Darbinco and Longdraw like this.
post #17 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 AM

I've pull the trigger for GA because of its look. Is look younger newer and that pretty much everything.
The rest GTL is better.
Longdraw likes this.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
My input on this a bit, if needed. I had a 16 GTLE and she was a great bike. For my height, the GTL was not comfy for long rides ( more then 3 hrs). I am 6'4" with longgg legs. The GTL is a bit easier to control in city rides. The GA is extremely comfy for me and that is what did it for me too. I do 60% HWY and rest city. I got so use to the GA that I do not even feel any challenges or issues anymore. I am learning now to do close turns in parking lots via Youtube. I do not think I will ever go back to GT or GTL. Next bike will be a GA or B if BMW will re design or upgrade equipment/safety features.
Longdraw likes this.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpetel1965 View Post
My input on this a bit, if needed. I had a 16 GTLE and she was a great bike. For my height, the GTL was not comfy for long rides ( more then 3 hrs). I am 6'4" with longgg legs. The GTL is a bit easier to control in city rides. The GA is extremely comfy for me and that is what did it for me too. I do 60% HWY and rest city. I got so use to the GA that I do not even feel any challenges or issues anymore. I am learning now to do close turns in parking lots via Youtube. I do not think I will ever go back to GT or GTL. Next bike will be a GA or B if BMW will re design or upgrade equipment/safety features.
I am 5'11". The GA was comfortable but for me the GTL is more nimble. I can see the GA being better for someone that is over 6'. Good point though because the floorboards are nice on the GA.

It'll buff outů...
post #20 of 43 Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Garage
Before you write a check, test again and again and.....again!!! These bikes can do wonders to each individual rider here. Listen only to yourself...period. The longer you ride the better. Ride for a while then stop for a few. Get off and walk around, go on again. Your body will talk to you. You can always update windscreen and seat like I did. I went with extra tall WS and 2" high and wide foam/gel on the seat. Just perfect at the moment. Happy shopping !!!
Longdraw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page