Test rode the 2018 GA & GTL - Page 5 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunhotttuna View Post
I知 wondering how to get a smoother manual shift than I get with my shift assist! I知 pretty good at it, but it痴 like having a seamless automatic transmission with a paddle shifter! Both up and down! Accelerating in a curve and shifting w/o bobbling a bit! Using engine braking/rpm matching flawlessly on a freeway exit. I知 doubtful at best anyone can shift faster and smoother than my shift assist! But you knew that, right? 🤪🤩😎

Try this on yours. Use a fast-slight squeeze on the clutch to no more than 1/3rd of the way - pop it into gear - and a quick release. Reverse process on downshifts. I find 90% of the time I can barely notice the shifts . I think what I was doing originally on the GTL for manual shifting when I first got it was pulling the clutch in a bit too much (anything over half way, if you are not coming to a stop, is too much on mine), and then I let it out a smidge faster that was necessary, so I got a little "bump", even if the revs sounded matched. Play with it.

-Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdraw View Post
I know what you mean. I just bought a 2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Caf bike. It's a great bike but after I bought it I started to think about touring with the wife. So the Caf bike is my "urban bike" plus I can trailer it easily. But it could have waited so the wife & I could ride together sooner. But here in Texas everything is melting right now so she's okay waiting (too **** hot). It's a big chunk of moola to spend. I was looking at Goldwings & test rode one, to my surprise I didn't like it. I was shocked. So BMW is looking more promising at this point.

All you need to do is turn up the fan a bit on the bike and you can ride all summer here (mesh jacket and pants help)! Keep your speed up and the windscreen low....

So any update?

-Al
post #43 of 43 Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asinop View Post
All you need to do is turn up the fan a bit on the bike and you can ride all summer here (mesh jacket and pants help)! Keep your speed up and the windscreen low....

So any update?
GTL is what I will be buying. Will probably get a 2020 model with the forged wheels since there aren't any 2019's left with them. Usually some dealers here will have the forged wheel variant so when one pops up it's mine. Now unless of course I get a really sweet deal on a 2019 then I might go that route instead.

It'll buff out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page