TPMS registers 2 psi low - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 08-11-2019, 12:52 PM

@Immtbiker , some 'say' the battery is replaceable and there's a youtube video showing how to do it, e.g. dig out potty compound, directly solder wires to end of battery, etc. If you're still within the factory warranty the TPMS is covered. Extended warranties also cover the TPMS.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 08-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Thanks Gunnert. 3 year warranty is so much better than my Japanese bike coverages.

Never cross a "bridge", without checkin' out the view! - me

Life is too short to drive an ugly car. -me
post #23 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
I always check tire pressure before riding and inflate both tires to 42 psi while the tire is cold. With the Bridgstone OEM tires the TPMS would start at around 40-41 and then show temps up to 46 F consistently as the tire warmed up. With the Dunlop RS III's the TPMS is showing 40-41 at the start and then usually stabilizes around 42-43. I dont recall ever seeing it more than 44 F.
Regardless of how accurate the TPMS is showing to be I use it to read relative pressure fluctuations while riding; I use my gauge to adjust inflation pressures when the tire is cold. It seems to consistently work for me.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
2017 Indian Springfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 11:30 AM

To paraphrase Shakespeare: "This learned constable [i.e., the TMPS system] is too cunning to be understood."

I have the tire pressures up on my display all the time and keep a close eye on them to maybe spot it if one starts to lose air, but I use a good gauge to actually air up my tires.

What seems odd to me about the TPMS is that the pressure that is displayed is supposed to be adjusted to what the pressure would be if the tire was at 68F, which would make sense; but the displayed pressure changes as the tires warm up. I guess I don't understand the adjustment algorithm. The amount of air in the tire doesn't change, it just expands (or tries to expand) as it warms up so the pressure increases; but if the TMPS were adjusting the PSI to what it would be if the tires were at 68F the displayed pressure shouldn't change. Maybe the TPMS doesn't report actual tire temperature, it uses the ambient temperature which is sensed someplace else and the tires are actually warmer than ambient since they are on the pavement and flexing.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #25 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM

It is an interesting discussion. I don't know how they could account for all the variables in an algorithm - seems like to me that they are just saying to inflate to 42 psi at sea level and 68 degrees. If you are riding on a hot day or cold day and/or mountain terrain, the PSI will go up/down accordingly but it would be within acceptable limits unless you are in an extreme situation.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #26 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
Fun story:

Before yesterday's ride to test the passenger peg risers I checked and adjusted the pressure in both tires to read eactly 42 PSI (using my El Cheapo tire pressure gauge to measure). When the TPMS came alive a couple hundred feet from the driveway, both tires indicated exactly 42 PSI. I scrolled over to the Temperature display and you'll never guess what was the ambient temperature....

That's right.... 68F.

Seems the Rider Manual is correct, eh?
d martin likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Besides the OEM TPMS does anyone have experience with an aftermarket unit sensor? My 5 year old GTL/Exclusive's TPMS is showing low battery as reported by a dealer and my GS-911. The rear tire is taking a LONG time for it to display so it's apparently due for replacement.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
That's right.... 68F.
It gets that warm in ND?

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #29 of 33 Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
It gets that warm in ND?
Yup. Coincidentally, here is a pic of our weather station on the same day one year ago...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_151823.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	130986  
WillH likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Y'all are funny, and maybe even slightly obsessed.

I air the tires up when I mount them, then just forget about it unless my TPS throws a sudden low pressure warning.

If I'm running a car tire, the pressure doesn't change significantly enough to matter. And if I'm running motorcycle tires, they don't last long enough to worry about a couple of psi.

Just ride the dmn thing...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page