Howz the K16 quirks doing nowadays? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Howz the K16 quirks doing nowadays?

I had a 2015 GT that left me stranded on the road in 2016.

I waited till 2015 to get a K16 because the maiden 2012 were riddled with quirks. In spite, the fork squeakiness persisted on the 2015 model.

I was in the middle of a Summer long tour, when the squeky fork syndrome began. Unfortunately, mine involved such sticktion that it was not cured with simple dose of silicone (per forum prescription). Mine also made the handlebars wiggle at over 60mph in a manner similar to the beginning of a minor tank-slapping scenario.

I hobbled into a BMW dealership and traded it for an RT.

Recently, I been getting in the mood for a K16

Now I read of CPU problems, more water pump, parking under hot Sun cause 'no-start' problems.

hey! You don't have to convince me of the great fun to be had with K16 ...at the same time, I am not a devotee of it this model either. I need a bike that is dependable and can go for at least three months on the road without breaking down. I am not into quirkie bikes.

What is going on with the K16 nowadays?...particularly, have they improved in reliability?

...If it wasn't for a Supernova, I wouldn't even be here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Garage
Not for some folks still some people complain of issues just read the Threads. About 50% complain about a left pull. The GA folks complain about a buffet behind trucks on the highway.

Mine is fine these day's with no issues and a joy to ride but if I was you and had these issues in the past I wouldn't look at the same bike.

Road the new GoldWing the other day it's a nice bike. Also the revised R1250RT is a nice ride as well.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM

@GTer , Don't know where you're getting data from, e.g. CPU, water pump, starting problems, please share...

Duane
garyculb, capav8r and BMWGuy like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
2015 GT owner here, not a single quirk with mine. Still running strong, 36k+ miles.
Gunnert and amorley like this.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 04:24 PM

Garage
Mine is a bit quirky in that is makes noises. When I am elsewhere, I can hear the **** bike calling me.

My GA is at 19K today. She is perfect for me; she is well-behaved in Harley mode and growls nicely in Dynamic. As I have ridden her, which is pretty hard by anyone's measure, she has performed magnificently.

Now, that said, I did have to learn some things; such as how to shift (again).

Buffeting behind trucks: Don't be there. The GA does dance a little in bad air, but anything under 900 pounds would in most cases. I just change the screen angle and await a gap to pass.
Topsarge, Gunnert, Bigdawg and 1 others like this.

Last edited by djfalkenstein; 08-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
I have an '18 GT and no quirks after only 10k miles. Haven't heard about any CPU issues, nor water pump problems on recent bikes. Did see the one report of someone having the no-start issue. Did read about over-heating in the mountains just today. Has been an issue for some folks. I worried about it heading to Eisenhower tunnel last Aug or so, but it never hit red. The fan just came on and all was well the entire uphill start/stop 30+ minute creep.
Gunnert likes this.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #7 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Greetings. Only 5.5K on a new GA so far, first season. Only quirk has been a leaking front shock replaced under warranty. So far well satisfied......

(4) Wings/(3) HD Touring and now (1) '18 K1600B GA
post #8 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 PM

Garage
My 2015 K1600 GTS is just about to pass 87k miles and should hit 90k by the end of the month.

I find riding more satisfying than complaining.
Gunnert, garyculb, JoeP and 9 others like this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
post #9 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorley View Post
My 2015 K1600 GTS is just about to pass 87k miles and should hit 90k by the end of the month.

I find riding more satisfying than complaining.
Sir, I wish to lodge a complaint regarding your post........
Bwaaaaahaha

(4) Wings/(3) HD Touring and now (1) '18 K1600B GA
post #10 of 30 Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Garage
My B has misbehaved a little with an especially ridiculous front ABS sensor failure which made stopping a little awkward, but overall I wouldn't swap him for anything. And as I have all my own teeth, I'm not on the pension and can walk without a stick or frame, I'm not yet eligible for a Goldwing.

Donna
(It’s all fun until I break a nail!)
Pink and Black K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page