D-I-Y Maintenance Reference Index - Forum Wisdom Links Life changing decision time - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Life changing decision time

Hate writing this stuff but hope others might have good advice from life experience.

Last Sunday while doing little stuff at home my heart rate hit 191. Went to ER, was put in ICU to get my heart under control, now home after a long list of stuff done to me, guess I had a mild Heart Attack and Afib. Now on 7 meds including a strong blood thinner that i might need for the rest of my life.

My delema; do i sell my 18 B, the bike i really love, just had seviced and new tires, or keep knowing i won't be able to ride for a while or maybe ever without high risk from my thinner. If i so much as bump my head I'm running a good chance of a bleed.

I also realize I'll be selling cheap in this market. I've read that it's bad for a K1600 to sit, they need to be ridden. Tough decision as i like my B so much just don't want to be stupid.

What would you do?

P.S. this getting older stuff is a #####. While younger, enjoy every single minute.

Scott

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
Keep it, if you have to lay it up for a while, then just store it as many people have to with severe winters.

When you get settled on your meds, and you feel better you'll be glad you did.

Have a read of my sig at the end of my posts.

Take care
PS: I was told after having a spinal fusion at the C5/C6 that i shouldn't ride bikes, as any accident in the future would have a very dodgy outcome, paralysed from neck down or meeting St Peter at the pearly gates.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaim: "Wow, what a ride".

Last edited by claw; 08-15-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added info
post #3 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM

I would not make ANY decision until I knew all the facts, e.g. what is wrong, is it curable, will it change, will I get better, what changes in my life style will help (if any), etc, etc, etc. Then and only then, make a decision... Good luck, I'm pulling for keep the bike, get healthy, and ride on.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Garage
A very good riding friend of mine had the same thing and ended up having a pacemaker / defibulator inserted in his chest. The EMTs had to shock him 9 times to keep him alive and make it to the hospital. The Dr. said do what ever activity you feel comfortable doing. He has ridden with me now for the past 3 summers on multi week trips plus he rides his motorcycle to work most of the time (he lives in Phoenix).

Talk to your Dr. (hopefully he isn't anti-motorcycles). Don't do anything hasty until you live with your condition for awhile.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #5 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
Yep, as the fine folks above have said, keep the bike.
This condition is new and with any new medical condition, it can change drastically in the next few months. Sell the bike for a guaranteed loss now and then get better in 6 months and kick yourself really hard because you have to spend what you lost plus some to get a nice bike back.

Good luck with the health, do what the doc tells you BUT at the same time, do all the research you can and listen to what your body tells you. Docs are great because they have a ton of education but they don't live with you and don't know how your body reacts to things. Take good notes and be your own advocate, doctors don't do that well with knowing about your body.
Scott Titensor and PLAGUE like this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #6 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Yes, wait. You are going through what everyone does when diagnosed with a potentially life threatening illness. As a cancer survivor, I remember those first few months playing havoc with my head. Once I had a plan of action, things improved dramatically. Strongly suggest you seek the advice of multiple doctors before deciding on your treatment/surgery/methodology. Learn everything you can and if you have a teaching University hospital near you, get an appointment with their best doctor.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #7 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
Scott, don't throw the towel in yet. The guys are right, whilst you are in a dark place right now, threatened with losing what you love doing with modern medical help and the right meds the most likely outcome is a slow gradual improvement. Stay positive brother.

2019 K1600 GT LE
post #8 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
My bike has sat with a tender on it for 6 months, it dont hurt it. You got time to work through this set back.

Sell it now and we just have to listen to your pissing and moaning about it a couple months down the road and how you wished you had it back.

Take care of yourself, the bike will be there when your ready. You might bounce back from this faster than you think.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #9 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
If financially able, avoid making a decision out of uncertainty, or as a reaction to something drastic. Keep it until able to make a peaceful decision.

A dear friend of mine, when faced with a similar situation, opted to center stand the bike in his man cave, and it rests in there and is with him all the time, he isn't riding it, but it still brings him joy. I refer to it as the most expensive piece of furniture ever.

Good luck and fortune.
maybeinoregon and claw like this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.

Last edited by PLAGUE; 08-15-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #10 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Keep the ride, see where things settle out. Try to keep the spirits up. One day at a time Scott. Give yourself time to think things thru.

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page